Champions of Carlton - Top 150 List

Remove this Banner Ad

25 posts into a celebration of the club & it's players, now it's a depression thread......
haha lets change the way the thread is going and list your top 10.. I am only going to pick since my lifetime 32 years as if I haven't seen them I think its unfair to comment..
1. Diesel
2. Sos
3. Judd
4. Sticks
5. Dominator
6. Koutta
7. Doull
8. Bradley
9. Ratten
10. Fevola

# On stats Ken Hunter should be up near the top, I just don't remember him..

i agree but the criteria was 50 games and 5 years service as a minimum, clape misses on years of service, rice qualifies on all fronts but is not selected

Also must have been a ball tearing 84 games by Ern Henfry back in the forties.

:mad: Show some respect to a premiership captain.

Played 2 games during the war while stationed in Melbourne. Sat out the 1946 season so that he could pull on the Navy Blue jumper. They made him captain in 1947 despite not having played a game for 2 years. Won the flag the same year.

So, yes, he was bloody good.

haha lets change the way the thread is going and list your top 10.. I am only going to pick since my lifetime 32 years as if I haven't seen them I think its unfair to comment..
1. Diesel
2. Sos
3. Judd
4. Sticks
5. Dominator
6. Koutta
7. Doull
8. Bradley
9. Ratten
10. Fevola

# On stats Ken Hunter should be up near the top, I just don't remember him..
you cant have juddy above kouta or sticks or doull or bradley, lol i can't stop

1.Sos
2.Diesel
3.Doull
4.Bradley
5.Kernahan
6.Jezza
7.Kouta
8.JUddy
9.Nicholls
10.Walls

I'll be very surprised if that isn't close

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My first memories take me back to the mid 70s so I'm going with:
1. SOS
2. Judd
3. Diesel
4. Doull
5. Hunter
6. Kernahan
7. Johnston
8. Kouta
9. Southby
10. Bradley

We've been blessed to have some of the VFL/AFLs greatest champions in our proud history, hence our 16 flags. Embarrassment??? You idiot!

A list of 150 champion Carlton players without Buzz on it is no list I'm interested in.

He is why I fell in love with Carlton. The man was a magician.

I'll probably be going against the general flow here, but I remember Bosustow as one of the more frustrating Carlton players that I watched. Sure, he did some amazing and mercurial things, and often in big games, but throughout the regular season, I remember always wishing he'd done more. It was probably because his best was so amazing, that I just wanted him to do it more often.

But I wouldn't put him in the same class as his more consistent peers, the likes of Bruce Doull, Kenny Hunter, Rod Ashman, Mike Fitzpatrick etc.

Geez, Jezza must be close to a lot of people's No 1.

Probably not the right demographic for it Thy ... I reckon I'm one of the older posters here and I barely remember Jezza at his best.

But yes, I reckon he'd have to be close to the number one. The man was a true freak. The ground and ball-handling skills of a Daicos, with the aerial ability of Trevor Barker or Peter Knights. Was an excellent shot for goal and an inspirational leader too.

Pound for pound, you'd have to say of all the true champions that have graced Carlton teams over the journey, only SOS comes close to Jezza. Doull maybe, for the quality in the position he played, but the other 2 shade him thanks to their versatility.

It's like naming the 10 greatest Aussie cricketers of all time. None of us may have seen the likes of Bradman, Miller, Ponsford and Trumpet but you know they are gonna be near the top of the list. Sometimes reputation and past accolades and achievements need to be brought into consideration whether you have, or haven't seen ones great feats. For me;

1. Nicolls - a lock in
2. Jezza - interchangeable with below
3. Doull - interchangeable with above
4. Diesel
5. SOS
6. Kernahan
7. Southby
8. Vallence
9. Judd - may go higher to appease the modern day audience
10 - Bradley

:mad: Show some respect to a premiership captain.

Played 2 games during the war while stationed in Melbourne. Sat out the 1946 season so that he could pull on the Navy Blue jumper. They made him captain in 1947 despite not having played a game for 2 years. Won the flag the same year.

So, yes, he was bloody good.
Didn't4 realise I'd shown disrespect...

Not all time, but I'll put up a list of 10 of the best for my time watching.
I started barracking from 79 so tgere are Carlton legends that will be left out:

1 Diesel
2 Judd
3 Kouta
4 Johnston
5 SOS
6 Doull
7 Kernahan
8 Bradley
9 Sexton
10 Murphy

These are players spanning the period of early 80s to now and im sure by the end of his career Murph will move up. They are all players that left an imprint on my footy-watching brain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back