Opinion Change the Club Song. It's time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheer cheer the power is here,
We wear tight short but we are not q...

Maybe not.
Unlike the mob that SA loves so dear. :D

and get rid of the fist and lightening bolt

Nah keep them. What's our mascot going to be then? A bloke dressed in a box with black and white lines? Don't think that'll go down well with our young pirateers.

The only decent song that isnt in the AFL at the moment is a version of North Adelaides.

Serious? To me it sounds like an old hillbilly singing with 'hillbillettes' backing him. It is an original song written especially for the chooks, and the chooks can have it!

Richmond's song doesn't grab me as it does with others. I imagine a line of men past their prime playing trombones in the background and in the foreground are a line of women past their prime, arm in arm, and squeezed into their 60 year old ragtime outfits kicking up their legs with every "hey".

Could make fun about every club song really except for our version of Cheer Cheer!

I'd accept us doing Glory, Glory. That's it :) I'm pretty sure we've had this discussion before.

Glory, Glory to Port Adelaide
The Power Marches On!

When speaking of the champions
One stands above the rest
Of glories old and records proud
When often put to test
Of fine traditions, history
That others cannot best
They wear the black and teal

The Power Marches On

They mauled the Richmond Tigers
Slew the Lions from the North
The Crowboys and the Bombers next
Were crushed with mighty force
They humbled Old North Melbourne
And the Magpies in due course
They wear the black and teal

The Power Marches On

They tamed the Western Bulldogs
Slashed the Carlton bag of blue
The Northern Suburbs rooster crowed
And then was conquered too
The greatest name in any game
Within Port Adelaide grew
They wear the Black and teal

The Power Marches On

You guys have obviously forgotten the last time a board member thought a hip new song would be the way to go.

Not derivative at all ...

This sung by john farnham, holy s**t.

SOOO RISEEEEEEE UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've tried to convince myself otherwise, but I just can't do it anymore. It's time to face facts; our club song is s**t.

It's 90s, it's poppy, there's no decent hook, and it's impossible for 22 men to sing without sounding cringeworthy.

So why don't we change it?

10 years ago we had a confused 90s guernsey. Along came a 7 year-old girl who designs the V-guernsey, we make the switch and we now enjoy watching the Port boys run around every week in the best jumper in the AFL. I'm sure with the collective creative might on here we could pretty easily come up with an adapted song from an existing international club, or even a new anthem entirely; it'll be weird to begin with, but once it's been belted after a couple of gutsy wins it'll be part of the furniture.

YES THIS!

I can get around the Richmond, Carlton or Hawthorn Song, but ours just makes me want to hide under a rock.

Time to develop someone we can Belt out with Vigour!

There was a song some local D grade celebrity did for Woodville-West Torrens a couple of years ago, it only lasted a couple of weeks because it was absolutely horrific. Can't remember who it was who did it though

Unless we find something that everyone 100% loves and is perfect for the club we should stick with the one we've got. There's no point in saying 'eh, this one is s**t but less s**t than the other one' and then having to change it again in 20 years when the boys don't sing it loud enough after a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back