Preview Pre-match v Port Adelaide - Sunday 4:40 (MCG) (out: Seeds, Young, BenKen; In: Armstrong, Fas, Dwyer)

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to play Reid forward this game. Carlile is back for them, but they are still missing Trengrove for another week which is their second key tall, first choice anyway. We need White/Grundy Cloke and Reid up forward to try and stretch them.

I am looking forward to seeing Armstrong play. He's presumably got the standard 2 year deal so he has to be tried at the top level. I just hope his disposal is better than I think it is.

I'm an advocate for Reid in the backline....but not this week. Port aren't overly tall up there with Westhoff floating around the ground and Schulz the main tall.

Without Trengove...and Carlisle first game back...I'd be stretching them.

I'm shocked to see Fasolo in there. Buckley said he would need a few games at VFL level. I hope he plays because we need him...but it kind of goes against what Buckley was saying.

I also think Armstrong can play. I'm not a fan, but he has pace and good footskills and that could be handy.

I wouldn't play Dwyer, but again he is a reliable user of the footy so that appeals.

It's a choice between Grundy and White. I'd go with Grundy because Lobbe is a very athletic ruckman and White could go with him.

Happy to see Fas named on a wing. Hopefully he plays out the game there. Would love him to be a goal kicking wingman and have his skills hit Our forwards lace out

This. So pumped to see him back in the side and named on a wing even better. Him and Broomhead on the same side means we have 2 outside mids with elite kicking skills. Now if we can just solve the problem of J.White dropping absolute sodas...

Oh look, one record actually worth paying overs for;

Bt6iSM3CYAAMZ5p.jpg

YOU GO TONY ARMSTRONG you good thing you!! At least some supporters will actually support you and hope you shove it up ém bro... You shove it right up ém Tones! You got lots of support mate don't worry, there's me and BBB and Mike'll be happy, there's me and BBB and did I mention Mike already oh yeah I did.. We Love you Bro!
I have also purchased a ticket to jump aboard the Tony Armstrong bandwagon.
Although I have to admit, it is going to be a bit weird watching someone in a Collingwood jumper hit a target.

I am looking forward to seeing Armstrong play. He's presumably got the standard 2 year deal so he has to be tried at the top level. I just hope his disposal is better than I think it is.
Armstrong's disposal is not his problem, would be in the top 3 kicks at the club. However his inability to contest the footy is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be no worse than either of The Seed or Young in that regard and I'd put my money on him being a much more damaging and efficient kick than Young.

Young would be a more damaging kick. But Young struggles with short kicks. Armstrong is a good short kick, but he rarely kicks it long. Only if he's taking a shot he really kick it long.

Young would be a more damaging kick. But Young struggles with short kicks. Armstrong is a good short kick, but he rarely kicks it long. Only if he's taking a shot he really kick it long.
Young has played one, maybe two good games this whole year. His kicking is supposedly meant to be his weapon but really all he does is bomb it into the forward line (just like the rest of the team) except he kicks it a bit further, end result is still the same with the opposition ending up with it though.
The reason I would prefer Armstrong is because as you said, he does shorter kicks, and in my opinion that is what we need coming in to the forward line, someone to lower the eyes and spot up a target rather than just the "see ball, kick ball" attitude we have going on at the moment.

EDIT: There's no use being a long kick if you can't use it to the teams advantage is my point. McKenzie from the Gold Coast is a perfect example of what you should be doing if you're lucky enough to have a good leg on you. I dream of Collingwood landing him somehow.

Sorry as bad as White has been as a forward Grundy is worse and far less mobile. One of our problems at the moment is none of our talls can or are taking grabs.

Grundy has shown glimpses but doesn't do it consistently. Would rather try and develop his forward ability.

I agree Young has been very poor of late. But I think he has been a real victim of the fact that our backline has been undermanned as he has had to play back too often. A lot of the time he has even been forced to mark a man (eg last week he spent a lot of time on Lynch).

He has also been a victim of our poor contested work of late.

Young doesn't win his own ball...he relies on players to feed it out to him. You need these sort of players because if you have a team of insiders then there is no penetration.

However, when we are getting smacked around the contests, then Young is not going to get any supply on the outside.

If we can start winning contested footy again, Young will improve.

Perhaps call him a front-runner...but every side needs them

I wouldn't mind seeing Dwyer named in the squad, even as sub.
His sure hands and smart use of the footy around the 50m arc is exactly what our side need now.
Especially as we now have 3 talls plus Elliott in there.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dwyer named in the squad, even as sub.
His sure hands and smart use of the footy around the 50m arc is exactly what our side need now.
Especially as we now have 3 talls plus Elliott in there.
But with Fasolo in the 22, no room or need for him,

Another one bites the dust on a Friday...

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane 11m
Paul Seedsman (adductor) has withdrawn from the Collingwood squad for Sunday's match v Port Adelaide. Tom Langdon comes into the squad of 25

That's 7 Friday injuries, by my count.

But of course, the club knows best... :rolleyes::mad:

So Seedsman is out now, probs deserved to be dropped after last week anyway. Shame he is injured though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back