Changes for 2014 - Duck season open.

Remove this Banner Ad

cleomenes

Cancelled
Nov 18, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
The slow abandonment of the rule that prohibits holding a player who is not in possession of the ball is another modern detractor from the game as a fair contest. The umpires are also moving to forget the 50m penalty for holding players down after a mark or free. The many and varied tactics players use to disguise it are transparent and should be discounted. Pay some 50's and it will stop, as was intended when the 50 m was introduced.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Selwood doesn't do what the rule is going to prevent, the players who are going to be effected by it are the guys like Jordan Lewis and Luke Hodge who lower their heads and ram at the opponents chest then look towards the umpire for a free kick.

Care to explain the rule selwood just got a goal from, umpires seem to be innovative when looking after their pet pussy

Whats that you say ? Its just smart footy when geelong cheats ?

MagpieJo

Premium Platinum
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
It shouldn't matter how they do it, if they are putting their head in a position to get whacked (and that is exactly what Selwood is trying to achieve, otherwise he would stop doing it to protect himself) then they should be penalized for it. It's a bad precedent, I hate seeing any player go down with a serious injury, from any team, but if he finally cops what he deserves, I'll shed no tears for him. It will be his own stupid fault. There is more to life than footy, and risking a broken neck to get an advantage is bullshit. If your not good enough to play fair and square, find another tactic, but not what he does, he looks for it, he should be penalized for doing the wrong thing. Same goes for puopolo

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I dont think puopolos attack on the ball is risky at all.

And selwood wasnt trying to milk a free on sunday, he simply ran into a team mate or more likely the team mate ran into him and the umpires gave him a free kick. Not his fault in any way but one of the worst decisions you will ever see

Mar 14, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
It shouldn't matter how they do it, if they are putting their head in a position to get whacked (and that is exactly what Selwood is trying to achieve, otherwise he would stop doing it to protect himself) then they should be penalized for it. It's a bad precedent, I hate seeing any player go down with a serious injury, from any team, but if he finally cops what he deserves, I'll shed no tears for him. It will be his own stupid fault. There is more to life than footy, and risking a broken neck to get an advantage is bullshit. If your not good enough to play fair and square, find another tactic, but not what he does, he looks for it, he should be penalized for doing the wrong thing. Same goes for puopolo
Noticed Pendlebury on more than one occasion bend 90 degrees at the hips AFTER getting tackled... the umps were only too happy to gave him some love for this shitty and dangerous action.

MagpieJo

Premium Platinum
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Noticed Pendlebury on more than one occasion bend 90 degrees at the hips AFTER getting tackled... the umps were only too happy to gave him some love for this shitty and dangerous action.
As I've pointed out in an earlier thread, I have noticed it too, and I don't like it. But since you barrack for geeeeelong with the guy who invented the move playing, well I'll take it with a grain of salt! Cheers

Mar 14, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
As I've pointed out in an earlier thread, I have noticed it too, and I don't like it. But since you barrack for geeeeelong with the guy who invented the move playing, well I'll take it with a grain of salt! Cheers
No, it's definitely a signature Pendles move... Selwood doesn't bend over like your "boy".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back