Changes for Boxing Day - In: J.Burns Out: M.Marsh

Remove this Banner Ad

If Mitch is injured then Watson should keep his spot bat bat at 6.

Burns to come in and bats at 5. Shaun Marsh to bat at 3. I'll give him a run but as a more senior batsman (he's 31) he needs to take responsibility.

I'd love to drop Haddin but it won't happen. Otherwise Hartley or Nevill to come in.

Harris in for Starc.

With so many under an injury cloud, I can't see many unforced changes.

I'm really hoping warner's injury is not as bad as it looks. But fear he will miss the next test. Replacement - Cowan or burn

Either way rogers is safe for another test.

Watson is now safe with marsh reduced to batting only. That said I can see one of the marsh brothers missing the next test.

Haddin will be kept for his experience despite failings with the bat.

Harris back in for Starc

Well, obviously I'd like to drop S Marsh, Watto and Haddin.
But that's not going to happen. I'll settle for one out of three.

Ins:
Wade
Harris
Burns
Cowan (only if Warner inj)
Henriques (only if M.Marsh inj)
Faulkner

Out:
M.Marsh (if inj)
Warner (if inj)
Watson
S.Marsh
Haddin
Starc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

(Assuming warner is ok) it will just be harris for starc with the quicks and even though it should be a frontline bat they will pick some half arsed allrounder to bat 6 in place of marsh.

They aren't dropping haddin or watson at any point in this series lets face facts.

Ins:
Wade
Harris
Burns
Cowan (only if Warner inj)
Henriques (only if M.Marsh inj)
Faulkner

Out:
M.Marsh (if inj)
Warner (if inj)
Watson
S.Marsh
Haddin
Starc

Faulkner and Henriques?

Having two allrounders at the moment is already horribly unbalancing our batting lineup. We shouldn't continue you it when the only reason we have two allrounders is due to the selectors not want to drop Watson whilst being unable to drop Mitch Marsh because of the second test in the UAE

Player A First Class Average of 52 strike rate of 70 - Tests... 0
Player B First Class Average of 36 strike rate of 46 - Tests... 10

I don't know if this proves that the Australian batting order sucks so much right now or Geoff Marsh has naked pictures of someone on the selection panel...

Player A First Class Average of 52 strike rate of 70 - Tests... 0
Player B First Class Average of 36 strike rate of 46 - Tests... 10

I don't know if this proves that the Australian batting order sucks so much right now or Geoff Marsh has naked pictures of someone on the selection panel...

More likely it proves that David Hussey is 37.

And that he's really beaten up on county attacks to get an average of 50 (though his peak at shield level was very good).

But agreed that there is no point bringing in Shaun Marsh as a middle order bat.

My team for Boxing Day
1 ~ C. Rogers
2 ~ D. Warner
3 ~ E. Cowan (he's our most in form shield batsman, and I'd like to see him rewarded)
4 ~ S. Smith
5 ~ S. Marsh
6 ~ M. Marsh (if he's injured, then Watson bats at 6)
7 ~ M. Wade (I'm not overly happy with it, but for me, he gets the spot until Whiteman is ready)
8 ~ M. Johnson
9 ~ R. Harris
10 ~ J. Hazlewood
11 ~ N. Lyon

Best bowling lineup we've had in years. An in form Lyon, an in form Johnson, a brilliant young bowler in Hazlewood and Ryan ******* Harris.

Haddin and Watson need to move on and let Smith make the team his own.

Harris for Starc.

If they are going to drop Haddin, I'd bring in Wade (don't think they will drop him though).

I think both Warner and M Marsh will be good to go.

Watto will survive on his bowling performance.

Would not expect more than a couple of changes at most (somewhat dependent on fitness issues).

More likely it proves that David Hussey is 37.

And that he's really beaten up on county attacks to get an average of 50 (though his peak at shield level was very good).

But agreed that there is no point bringing in Shaun Marsh as a middle order bat.
I'm just saying that a guy with career stats like that can't get a game yet Shaun Marsh does averaging far less than many other talented players who aren't getting a look in. Or have been pigeonholed early on in their careers that they miss out Ie: Cameron White being picked as a spinner when he should have been playing as a batsmen which luckily hasn't happened to Smith.

Harris for Starc.

If they are going to drop Haddin, I'd bring in Wade (don't think they will drop him though).

I think both Warner and M Marsh will be good to go.

Watto will survive on his bowling performance.

Would not expect more than a couple of changes at most (somewhat dependent on fitness issues).

Yep, don't think there will be too many changes, barring injury.

Haddins 9 catches is in the book, he won't be dropped.

Harris is an interesting one, he's up for a lot of cricket next year, and given his history not sure having him play in Melbourne then back in Sydney is worth the risk. Starc has his haters, but wouldn't mind him having a couple of Tests just to get a bit of continuity.

I'm just saying that a guy with career stats like that can't get a game yet Shaun Marsh does averaging far less than many other talented players who aren't getting a look in. Or have been pigeonholed early on in their careers that they miss out Ie: Cameron White being picked as a spinner when he should have been playing as a batsmen which luckily hasn't happened to Smith.

I can't disagree with this.

Though White only has his batting to blame.

Yep, don't think there will be too many changes, barring injury.

Haddins 9 catches is in the book, he won't be dropped.

Harris is an interesting one, he's up for a lot of cricket next year, and given his history not sure having him play in Melbourne then back in Sydney is worth the risk. Starc has his haters, but wouldn't mind him having a couple of Tests just to get a bit of continuity.

I would be happy to continue with Starc too but I think if Harris is fit I think they will bring him back in and Starc will be the unlucky one to miss out. If Harris pulls up sore again then he comes out for Sydney. (I take your point though but just can't see Ryno not playing if fit).

Selectors do not change winning sides but there will be two changes.

Harris will come back in for Starc

Doolan or possibly Adam Voges for the injured Mitchell Marsh. I am not sold on either of these guys but are there any real alternatives? Voges is in form and Doolan has made some runs at no3. Cowan is also worth a look but he is essentially an opener and unless you are David Boon transforming openers into a no 3 does not always work.

There is a school of thought that Mitchell Marsh is in the side as an all rounder but I do not agree. I think Marsh was there primarily for his batting and his bowling is a bonus. If Doolan came in at 3 Watson could be moved up to no6 which might suit him better at this stage of his career. Watson would also fill the role as a fourth seamer if needed.

Haddin will survive as will Watson simply because the selectors will not make four changes to a winning side.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back