Changes for Rnd 22 v GWS (out 7, 8, 17, 20, 32, 34; in: 2, 10, 18, 24, 31, 41)

Sep 25, 2011
The Home of Football
AFL Club
Collingwood
Long time reader, first time poster.
How does this earn you a senior selection:
24. Josh Thomas
Statistics: 3 kicks, 1 marks, 12 handballs, 15 disposals, 3 clearances, 0 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 tackle
Anthony Rocca says: Josh was off for most of the day. He had 15 possessions and wasn’t his usual self. We’re looking for a big return this week.

Opposed to BK who got 17touches, 5 tackles at AFL level.
Because with Beams and Adams out we literally have nobody else who can win the ball from the middle. JT may have had a quiet game but he had been good the two weeks before that, and he and Kennedy are not fighting for the same spot.

DNine

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2008
West of Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have been refusing to believe Nathan Buckley is the coach that people are making him out to be. But I think I am finally swaying in the negative in regards to Buckley. To be bringing in Sam Dwyer rather than VFL players that have played good footy in the same role, like Kyle Martin for example, and bringing in Josh Thomas who the VFL coach was very bland about in his assessment, rather than sticking with Kennedy or going with someone like Seedsman, but both of them can be forgiven, but to put Goldsack at CHF, rather than bringing in Karnezis, Gault or even Lynch, when we only have guy in poor form in White to take the whole Forward line, is a special kind of stupid.

We won't beat GWS, because Buckley I am afraid is not an AFL coach. I am on board now.

I don't understand all the angst that's surrounding selection? :confused:

Selection is made by a committee of folks who (unlike me) have watched training, seen the GPS data, spoken to the doctors, spoken to the fitness staff, spoken to the sports scientists, been part of last week's review with the player, have got some sense of who the opposition team is, what the opposition team selection might look like, what strategies they might play, etc, etc.

Yeah, I might be scratching my head over selection of a particular player - but little wonder!!!

Certainly nothing to get frustrated or angry over :confused:

Manic Magpie

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Team selection is a joke. Am happy now to work rather than go to or watch the footy on TV. I no longer care whether we win, lose or draw.

I have been refusing to believe Nathan Buckley is the coach that people are making him out to be. But I think I am finally swaying in the negative in regards to Buckley. To be bringing in Sam Dwyer rather than VFL players that have played good footy in the same role, like Kyle Martin for example, and bringing in Josh Thomas who the VFL coach was very bland about in his assessment, rather than sticking with Kennedy or going with someone like Seedsman, but both of them can be forgiven, but to put Goldsack at CHF, rather than bringing in Karnezis, Gault or even Lynch, when we only have guy in poor form in White to take the whole Forward line, is a special kind of stupid.

We won't beat GWS, because Buckley I am afraid is not an AFL coach. I am on board now.
Thomas IN as an inside midfielder to support Ball.
Although I do struggle with the omission of Kennedy & non selection of Karnezis.
You do realize that we have a selection committee that fully discusses & agree the selected side.
Includes Rocket, Burns, Harvey, Tapping & one other assistant coach.

Manic Magpie

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

Perhaps now you will be the one who is criticised for your negativity rather than being the one accusing others of not being supportive of the club.

Try so hard to stay positive but there is a genuine rage inside me right now. One of the only positives I took from last week is that we might see PK.
FFS just throw him in, we already ****ed our season give us SOMETHING to get excited about :cry:

Babylove

Premiership Player
May 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Does anyone know if Kennedy has played enough games in the VFL to qualify for finals? I know that the quota required goes up when you play so many games in the AFL and Kennedy would be close to a dozen or more in the seniors (sorry can't be stuffed looking that up).

Also could we be selecting the VFL side first? Tapping (he's still the reserves coach isn't he?) may have given a list of untouchables and told Bucks he can pick from the rest. Success gives seniority after all ;):p

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
I can only assume, that the match committee have deemed it better for the development of Ben Kennedy to play in the VFL finals, than this game and the shellacking we'll get from Hawthorn. There just has to be more then meets the eye.

Rusty22

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2010
Melbourne, Sporting Capital of the World
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Thomas IN as an inside midfielder to support Ball.
Although I do struggle with the omission of Kennedy & non selection of Karnezis.
You do realize that we have a selection committee that fully discusses & agree the selected side.
Includes Rocket, Burns, Harvey, Tapping & one other assistant coach.
next year are you going to change ur username to MyManMoore? has a good ring to it.

Does anyone know if Kennedy has played enough games in the VFL to qualify for finals? I know that the quota required goes up when you play so many games in the AFL and Kennedy would be close to a dozen or more in the seniors (sorry can't be stuffed looking that up).

Also could we be selecting the VFL side first? Tapping (he's still the reserves coach isn't he?) may have given a list of untouchables and told Bucks he can pick from the rest. Success gives seniority after all ;):p
Kennedy has qualified already. Only played 8 AFL & has played 10 VFL.

Nov 2, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can only assume, that the match committee have deemed it better for the development of Ben Kennedy to play in the VFL finals, than this game and the shellacking we'll get from Hawthorn. There just has to be more then meets the eye.
Bollocks, not sure if serious but Bollocks, if the match committee think this then that's just bollocks

Starcevich90

Team Captain
May 15, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
The real disappointment is that Buckley and the match commitee have missed a golden opportunity to blood new players at AFL level in an otherwise meaningless game and see whether they might be up to it. We already know what Thomas and Dwyer offer, and I wouldn't say they are future premiership material.

Karnezis and Gault may have starred and never looked back, but now we will never know. Really baffling, as is being on the verge of signing up BenKen and then leaving him out when we are down to a skeleton crew.

Long time reader, first time poster.
How does this earn you a senior selection:
24. Josh Thomas
Statistics:
3 kicks, 1 marks, 12 handballs, 15 disposals, 3 clearances, 0 inside 50s, 1 rebound 50, 1 tackle
Anthony Rocca says: Josh was off for most of the day. He had 15 possessions and wasn’t his usual self. We’re looking for a big return this week.

Opposed to BK who got 17touches, 5 tackles at AFL level.

Show that we have the Incompetent Fools in the Coaching Ranks

Back