Changes for Rnd 22 v GWS (out 7, 8, 17, 20, 32, 34; in: 2, 10, 18, 24, 31, 41)

Remove this Banner Ad

He hasn't played again yet - how can it already be more than one good game? Let him at least play before claiming another good game. Told you we over rate those that have left us -they are hailed for having played well just by getting selected:D

Agree on Martin seems an inspired choice by the Lions. However, I am very bullish about our two rucks in the long run.
?? Ceglar has all but been a regular in the Hawks' line up for much of the season. I don't quite get your point.

But my point is we've seen what White, Dwyer and Thomas can do.

Gault and Karnezis are unknown quantities at AFL level, so what on earth have we got to lose by playing them in a game like this?

Just seems a big opportunity missed.

?? Ceglar has all but been a regular in the Hawks' line up for much of the season. I don't quite get your point.
Not the thread for our debate but he has played 11 games so far this season, not quite a regular. To my point, you said - 'I see that Ceglar (meaning the other ruckman i assume) has been dropped in favour of Ceglar this week. So much for your one good game theory." Therefore using his selection as proving he now has played more than one good game just by being selected. My interpretation of what you wrote anyway.

Regardless he has done better than most expected but not enough (same as Dawes) to instigate a melt down on this board (and start of threads) on why we let these players go. Which was my original point. He may become a champ and we would not be the first to let go a good player - even premiership teams do so (Hawthorn with Kennedy). I prefer Grundy and Witts on the list to Ceglar.

This started as a result of the post asking 'what would happen if Stewart played a good game against us', to which i responded, like Dawes and Ceglar.... the board would go into meltdown.

Now that I have bored everyone lets get back to the topic at hand - despite being a firm believer in 'the club knows better', I am a little disappointed and surprised that PK wasn't selected and Kennedy was dropped.

How Kennedy misses out is unfathomable! !!.......Why you wouldn't play a young up and coming player against other quality youngsters, to see where he is at compared to the GWS players, who some are similiar in Kennedys development and time in the game just beggars belief. This kid must be wondering what he has done, and if l was him l wouldnt re-sign and would take an offer from Adelaide or Port. Its obvious as long as Buckley is coach, this kid isnt going to get a good run at carving out an AFL career!!!

the thing is, he probably does rate him, it just might not be that simple.

Your thoughtful responses have no place in this thread. Clearly Bucks hates Kennedy and loves Blair.

Calling it now. Kennedy to get dropped for this game next week.

I don't have time to read through 450 odd posts in this thread but wanted to say how the heck does Kennedy get dropped given all the injuries we have? Given you called his dropping before last weeks game maybe you can tell me?

I also don't understand how PK has not gotten a game???

I think that most would agree that Kennedy has shown enough this year. I wonder that given our season is almost lost " exception of a miracle " that perhaps JT has come in for Kennedy and given an opportunity to prove his worth to the club or if we put him on the trade table.

I think that most would agree that Kennedy has shown enough this year. I wonder that given our season is almost lost " exception of a miracle " that perhaps JT has come in for Kennedy and given an opportunity to prove his worth to the club or if we put him on the trade table.

That would not surprise me, he has talent but is also a smaller sized mid of which we as a team have a few smaller sized players may seek to balance out.

I don't have time to read through 450 odd posts in this thread but wanted to say how the heck does Kennedy get dropped given all the injuries we have? Given you called his dropping before last weeks game maybe you can tell me?

I also don't understand how PK has not gotten a game???

I agree with you and although I am not a huge fan of PK yet, he had to debut this week. This season is gone and we should give players a taste of AFL football who wouldn't have got a game other wise and give them something to look forward to during preseason. I would assume having played the last few games of the season the enthusiasm of those young guys will be be great over the preseason.

Also how does JT get a game ahead of Martin? Buckley said he will pick players on form, if he thinks JT is in better form in the VFL than Martin he has lost the plot.

So many potential coaches on bigfooty.

I went back in time the other week on this board.

The same potential armchair coaches were calling for Mick's head in 2009 and early 2010 even! The same usual rhetoric too of course, we'll never win a flag with this gameplan, mick has lost his players, what's wrong with these selections! Not that I'm advocating Buckley will win a flag next year (highly unlikely), but some of the stuff posted on this boards is quite a way off the mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am now officially of the opinion that we are tanking in the hope that we get Moore for a second rounder.

Actually this makes me think that Bucks is doing the exact opposite and is going for the win, by selecting the most experienced players still on the list.

Personally I’m really annoyed because the season is already over, and if by some fluke we do make it into the finals, we wont get past week one let alone win the flag, so it really pisses me off that either Bucks or Eddie have decided that its more important to get a win against a bunch of kids simply to appease some members and take some heat off themselves as opposed to using the dead rubber as a perfect opportunity to see if some of the younger players can make it at AFL, and give the other young guys more experience for going into 2015.

I don’t disagree with bringing Thomas in, but I would have also dropped players like Lumumba, Young, Blair (and Swan or Ball) to instead retain Kennedy and bring in all of Mooney, Gault, Martin and Karnezis (even if its only as the sub)

Eddie this morning was on the radio already making excuses and going on about how this is our under 19 side, but really the only young players they’ve brought in is Ramsay and Langdon, wow that just so drops the average age of the rest of the team to be under 19 then apparently… So if he thinks that by having ONE first year player in a team of 22 makes you inexperienced and a side of babies, then it wouldn’t surprise me if he was the one interfering and keeping the younger kids out of the side.

Last edited:
As much this goes against what happened to us last week, there is a very slight glimmer of hope that we can sneak into the finals. So, then if it is even a remote possibility I would think we would field our strongest line up.

Look, I'm a bit disappointed and have been a bit underwhelmed by selection this year. I think they've gone safe at times.

I'm not upset Kennedy has been dropped because I think its part of a long term plan for him. Given his off-season surgery and his perceived lack of fitness, I think the plan was always to just give him exposure this year, but not to overload him. He was meant to be sub last week, but pretty much had to play 100% game time due to injuries. So I think that has something to do with it.

What upsets me though is that I think Buckley had a licence this week to be creative. Yes we want to beat GWS, but I think we had a unique opportunity to trial a few young players.

Dwyer missed last week and I would've given him a week at VFL to get his touch back.

This week, Rocca's review on Josh Thomas was scathing and he doesn't deserve a recall.

Yet players like Martin, Gault and Karnezis who has torn up the VFL have been overlooked.

I also would have looked at dropping Fasolo to ensure he played the requisite amount of games to qualify for VFL. Also, Witts looks totally spent and I would've given Gault the position over him and let GRundy and White do the ruck work.

To me, Buckley has picked a 'known quantity'. He pretty much knows what to expect from the players he has picked. That's probably going to be enough to beat an inexperienced GWS side, but the issue is that I don't think we learn much about our depth.

Glad to see Ramsay get a game at least, and we still get another look at Broomhead, Grundy and Langdon so there is still plenty of youth in there.

I just would've liked a bit more experimentation.

I think we've all come to terms with the fact that we'll miss finals, and the fans at least want an eye on the future right now.

I would've liked to have seen a forward line with Gault, White and Karnezis. White and Gault could've assisted in the ruck, and then we could've subbed one and allowed Karnezis to play more as a forward. It would've been a nice blend alongside Broomhead and Fasolo.

I understand the age issue. We don't want to pick a team full of kids. But I also don't like the fact that we've brought back Dwyer and Thomas with no form to warrant it. In my opinion its a safe selection. I would've picked on form. The best coaches don't look at a birth certificate and I think Buckley has a bit this week.

Re Kenno being dropped, there's apparently a cloud over Caff & Pendles so don't be surprised if the number 7 is running around on Sunday.
Think back to last week Clinton Young was dropped, then the talk around was Billy was out, turned out to be true and Young replaced him in the side.
Sounds eerily similar to me.

Re Kenno being dropped, there's apparently a cloud over Caff & Pendles so don't be surprised if the number 7 is running around on Sunday.
Think back to last week Clinton Young was dropped, then the talk around was Billy was out, turned out to be true and Young replaced him in the side.
Sounds eerily similar to me.

I reckon if there is a late withdrawal we should bring in Karnezis.

I don't think Kennedy could be dropped for form because he has been ok. My only logical explanation to drop Kennedy is managing him as he played more minutes last week that originally planned.

I know Armstrong played 8 quarters, but he also has 8 pre-seasons behind him. Kennedy had a limited pre-season due to the surgery.

I'm just most disappointed that we haven't named PK or Gault. Clearly our forward line setup is not working, so naming White and Grundy doesn't excite me.

Having PK and Gault up there offers something different and unpredictable.

despite his fitness being down I'm very surprised that Karnezsis was not given a game considering our lack of genuine scoring forwards

Ben Ken was not on the plane by the looks of his instgram post, dining in a cafe in Melbourne a few hours go. #stalker
So maybe only Karnezis to fly today?
If required BK could fly out tomorrow morning, if they wish to have 2 emerg in Sydney.

I understand the age issue. We don't want to pick a team full of kids. But I also don't like the fact that we've brought back Dwyer and Thomas with no form to warrant it. In my opinion its a safe selection. I would've picked on form. The best coaches don't look at a birth certificate and I think Buckley has a bit this week.

FWIW I've just watched Rd 19 vs Saints 2008. We had 13 kids! Dawes and McCarthy's first games. We smashed the then-strong Saints. Interesting to see just how much Malthouse liked to sink-or-swim some players back then (Ryan Cook anyone?).

Big difference between now and then is that we had experience all down the spine - Burns, Maxwell, Fraser, Lockyer, Davis, Swan, Medhurst. We just don't have that first tier of experience right now, especially down back. We don't have that luxury right now, and it really hurts us without a strong 25-28 yo key position defender or a strong 26-28yo ruck. It's what GWS has and that's why I back them this weekend :-/

Look, I'm a bit disappointed and have been a bit underwhelmed by selection this year. I think they've gone safe at times.

I'm not upset Kennedy has been dropped because I think its part of a long term plan for him. Given his off-season surgery and his perceived lack of fitness, I think the plan was always to just give him exposure this year, but not to overload him. He was meant to be sub last week, but pretty much had to play 100% game time due to injuries. So I think that has something to do with it.

What upsets me though is that I think Buckley had a licence this week to be creative. Yes we want to beat GWS, but I think we had a unique opportunity to trial a few young players.

Dwyer missed last week and I would've given him a week at VFL to get his touch back.

This week, Rocca's review on Josh Thomas was scathing and he doesn't deserve a recall.

Yet players like Martin, Gault and Karnezis who has torn up the VFL have been overlooked.

I also would have looked at dropping Fasolo to ensure he played the requisite amount of games to qualify for VFL. Also, Witts looks totally spent and I would've given Gault the position over him and let GRundy and White do the ruck work.

To me, Buckley has picked a 'known quantity'. He pretty much knows what to expect from the players he has picked. That's probably going to be enough to beat an inexperienced GWS side, but the issue is that I don't think we learn much about our depth.

Glad to see Ramsay get a game at least, and we still get another look at Broomhead, Grundy and Langdon so there is still plenty of youth in there.

I just would've liked a bit more experimentation.

I think we've all come to terms with the fact that we'll miss finals, and the fans at least want an eye on the future right now.

I would've liked to have seen a forward line with Gault, White and Karnezis. White and Gault could've assisted in the ruck, and then we could've subbed one and allowed Karnezis to play more as a forward. It would've been a nice blend alongside Broomhead and Fasolo.

This, All of this.

I apologise for not reading this entire thread but have certainly noticed the angst about Kennedy getting dropped. Am I the only one that has a sneaking suspicion that Pendles could be a late omission due to injury and BK could get his spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back