Preview Changes for Round 19 vs West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Initially i was a fan of trialling the 4 tall structure but their combined efforts are lacking. The big concern is defensive pressure. Charlie Cameron can't be underestimated but I'm now of the view that we need to revisit the structure, especially before the Brisbane game…cannot allow them to run rampant off HB. Hope Kerridge is fit by then, cos there is an Irish guy I'd like him to meet.

As an Otten bagger last week, credit to his defensive game today. I still hate his dinky handballs and shocking kicking. The less times he touches it the better. A lock-down 2nd tall is his role now.

Meanwhile LT struggled against a very big '3rd tall'. But he must stay in so we can truly judge him at AFL level (hopefully he can do a Martin and improve to the level). He's truly a 3rd tall in the structure so no way should he be dropped for Rutten. Oh, and his 11 possessions were at 100% efficiency which is encouraging.
LT only looked caught out when he was on Reid.

Otten looks more suited as the 2nd tall defender & LT as the 3rd who can play on a mid/small if need be.

Was impressed with LT's desperation & composure under pressure (better than Hartigan) - but not the guy you want in a 1:1 contest - same with Hendo!

In: Thommo
Out: Lynch

Just hasn't got his mojo back, poor kicking and poor decisions. Plus we are too top heavy up forward.

Who would you rather the ball in the hands of, Grigg or Lynch.

Wright had a stinker but has has a good year and doesn't deserved to be dropped on one bad performance.
I'm a huge Lynch fan but this is probably the most reasonable post of the thread. There is no way Wright gets dropped on one bad performance.

he made countless crucial contests today bringing the ball to ground or forcing it over the boundary, he had one poor woeful shot today but was far from our worst.
He actually makes second efforts which brings team mates into play. We seem to need him whilst Tex isn't willing/able to do the repeat efforts (was a nice game from Tex today though).

So are we going to blame Podsiadly for Lynch continually kicking the ball with his knee?
His kicking is a liability. I have seen few worse kicks of the football.

Pods was a bit quiet. He does do a bloody lot off the ball though and a lot of his spoils etc. go unnoticed. Missed a couple of goals he should have kicked too.

JJ spent a lot more time in the ruck tonight than normal I thought.
Lol it's like your trying to come up for a reason to say pods played well, he was terrible, as were Jenkins and lynch. Lynch and Jenkins could of kicked a couple of goals as well

Lynchs kicking leads to pods playing badly? I laughed lol.

Lynch is a great field kick to team mates, but for some reason he tries to kick the impossible target that will show up on the highlights reel, it does my head in! Needs to take the safe option way more often. Unless Sanderson is telling him to do it, and if so, wtf sando

LT only looked caught out when he was on Reid.

Otten looks more suited as the 2nd tall defender & LT as the 3rd who can play on a mid/small if need be.

Was impressed with LT's desperation & composure under pressure (better than Hartigan) - but not the guy you want in a 1:1 contest - same with Hendo!

White towelled him up early as well. Failed to maintain body contact on him more than once. You could partially blame the mids for the ease the 'pies entered the 50, but he was out of the contest far too easily.

I don't know why I bother reading these threads. People just saying their whipping boys should be dropped every week, no matter what happens in the game.
REILLY AND DOUGLAS OUT OR I'M NOT GOING TO THE MATCH NEXT WEEK.

In: Thompson
Out: wright/grigg

Pods or lynch won't be dropped, even though we are too top heavy.

Lynch is just off at the moment, he is still finding the ball, no point playing him in the SANFL, plus he had no pre season and multiple injuries so give him a break.

Pods has some really quite periods of the game where you forget he is playing, but I've come to the conclusion that he should play because he can crash a pack, something jenkins is afraid of. Some of the marks he dropped today I couldn't believe

Why doesn't jenkins bust through packs, guy is 200cm and built like a house, yet plays like betts. Put him in the boxing ring during the week and fire him up!!!

White towelled him up early as well. Failed to maintain body contact on him more than once. You could partially blame the mids for the ease the 'pies entered the 50, but he was out of the contest far too easily.

LT was never going to go well on White - he's a mid sized defender, Gunston/Monfries are his matchup, not the resting ruck.

Lol it's like your trying to come up for a reason to say pods played well, he was terrible, as were Jenkins and lynch. Lynch and Jenkins could of kicked a couple of goals as well

Lynchs kicking leads to pods playing badly? I laughed lol.

Lynch is a great field kick to team mates, but for some reason he tries to kick the impossible target that will show up on the highlights reel, it does my head in! Needs to take the safe option way more often. Unless Sanderson is telling him to do it, and if so, wtf sando
Nuff nuff. Reading and comprehension fail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LT was never going to go well on White - he's a mid sized defender, Gunston/Monfries are his matchup, not the resting ruck.
problem is I'm not convinced Otten can do the resting ruck job either.

without bringing someone in during the offseason Hartigan is right in the thick of our backline future IMO.

Whites a tough matchup since like Jenkins he's got speed to burn you if it hits ground level. Guess they were hoping he's enough of a spud in the air that LT can make up for it, while being quick enough to keep up with him, something that Otto wouldn't be able to have accomplished.

Going to be unpopular with this thought but why don't we manage S. Thompson this year and next and not play him every week?

We have shown that we can win without him and as a whole (due to Rutten and Porps dropping out as well) I felt our team was quicker and more defensive when the ball was going the other direction.

I would like to see one of our tall forwards come out, probably Lynch on his last few performances and bring in either, Lyons, M. Crouch, Rat or CEY.

LT is more a Bassett type..
Shouldn't really be on the bigger forwards..

Needs time to settle at the level and see what he can do, some expectations on players to just walk in and be great are very unrealistic..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!!!!!

Other than getting outbodied by Reid once he looked quite composed and I can't remember any turnovers or clangers.

Persist

Going to be unpopular with this thought but why don't we manage S. Thompson this year and next and not play him every week?

We have shown that we can win without him and as a whole (due to Rutten and Porps dropping out as well) I felt our team was quicker and more defensive when the ball was going the other direction.
I'm pretty sure Thommo, much like Danger, picks himself each week.

both would insist on playing in a leg cast, I'll bet you anything.

I'd like to see more of Grigg but I'm assuming Thommo will be back. Wright played poorly but he's been brilliant the past month. Lynch and Jenkins also played poorly but are important to our structure.

Tough job for the selectors this week..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!!!!!

Other than getting outbodied by Reid once he looked quite composed and I can't remember any turnovers or clangers.

Persist

Agreed he was very composed with ball in hand, but Hartigan was a better matchup on White/Reid

Would love to see Atkins get a crack, but its unlikely.
Atkins would only ever come in for mackay and even then hes like 3rd person back. TBH looks like a decent SANFL player but doubt he will ever be considered even decent for afl. one of those players supporters will always go on about needing to be called up but as soon as he plays 5 games they realise he is not up to it

Grigg plays a full game or
pramthrow.gif

the eagles had a tough game this weekend, nic nat is the only danger i see.

we are at home and they are traveling after a really hard slog. we should win by at least 10 goals... hopefully.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back