Preview Changes for round 6 - Gold Coast Vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Classic Ablett. Conveniently missed Gold Coast's first match down at Skilled as well.

In light of Fyfe's training scare...

Out: Fyfe (inj), Anthony
In: Spurr, Silvagni

Jack might get another week. He has zero confidence at the moment and despite being terrible on Friday, was ok against the Saints.

With Fyfe officially under the knife...
Out: Fyfe,
In: Morra (More realistically Roberton or Spurr)
never. Gonna. Happen. I'd like to see Morra forward, presenting, and just getting involved at AFL level. Start him as a Sub. Roberton has being playing well @ WAFL level, and Spurr Elevated.

I think Anthony was horrible, but i think Rosco is determined to stick with him. Hopefully he plays himself into a little form. But... hopes are dwindling. Again, I cant see many changes given we only lost by a couple of kicks to one of the flag favs.

In: Alex Silvagni, Lee Spur

Out:
Nat Fyfe (inj), Clancee Pearce (rest)

B:
Greg Broughton, Zac Dawson, Adam McPhee
HB: Michael Johnson, Alex Silvagni, Lee Spurr
C: Ryan Crowley, Paul Duffield, Stephen Hill
HF: Matthew de Boer, Matthew Pavlich, Christopher Mayne
F: Hayden Ballantyne, Luke McPharlin, Zachary Clarke
Foll: Jonathon Griffin, David Mundy, Michael Barlow
IC: Garrick Ibbotson, Tendai Mzungu, Jack Anthony, Lauchie Neale

Emg:
Clancee Pearce, Jay VanBerlo, Antonie Grover

In: Alex Silvagni, Lee Spur

Out:
Nat Fyfe (inj), Clancee Pearce (rest)

B:
Greg Broughton, Zac Dawson, Adam McPhee
HB: Michael Johnson, Alex Silvagni, Lee Spurr
C: Ryan Crowley, Paul Duffield, Stephen Hill
Foll: Jonathon Griffin, David Mundy, Michael Barlow
IC: Garrick Ibbotson, Tendai Mzungu, Jack Anthony, Lauchie Neale

Emg:
Clancee Pearce, Jay VanBerlo, Antonie Grover

What the? What games have you been watching?

In: Alex Silvagni, Dylan Roberton

Out: Nat Fyfe (inj), Anthony

B: Greg Broughton, Zac Dawson, Adam McPhee
HB: Michael Johnson, Alex Silvagni, Garrick Ibbotsman
C: Ryan Crowley, David Mundy, Paul Duffield
Foll: Jonathon Griffin, Stephen Hill, Michael Barlow
IC: Clancee Pearce, Tendai Mzungu, Lauchie Neale, SUB(Dylan Roberton)

Emg: Hayden Crozier, Jay VanBerlo, Cameron Sutcliffe

No way Pearce will be dropped!

McPharlin and Pavlich up forward will kill it against golden boysss

What the? What games have you been watching?

Yes, Pearce has been awful providing strength in the midfield and a game high 10 tackles! He would be one of the first players picked this week. Anyone thinking otherwise has not really been watching the games closely.

Ross Lyon has said that Jack Anthony will be given another chance this week to perform and Sandi is 50/50 which to me means he won't play. So who comes in for Fyfe?

Well I see Jay Van Berlo played really well for West Perth. Dylan Roberton will only come in if McPhee or Johnson don't play. Will Kepler play after doing very little for West Perth last weekend?

Will Alex Silvangni get a run when the backline is holding up?

Nick Lower is out for a week with a quad injury.

Morabito is not ready yet and what's with Gavin Robert's sinus condition?

Somehow it is also frustating to have too much liked and fit players to fit into the team...

But with Fyfe out, Sandi unlikely and Anthony getting another chance I think the only chance will/should be best available midfielder for Fyfe or a small defender to release Broughton to midfield. Lower unjured so Spurr (likely due to upgrade) or Van Berlo perhaps.

Somehow it is also frustating to have too much liked and fit players to fit into the team...

But with Fyfe out, Sandi unlikely and Anthony getting another chance I think the only chance will/should be best available midfielder for Fyfe or a small defender to release Broughton to midfield. Lower unjured so Spurr (likely due to upgrade) or Van Berlo perhaps.

I agree with this.

I would like Anthony dropped as he looked like he was freaking out when he got the ball. If Anthony was to be dropped I would like Crozier to have a go against the kids of Gold Coast. Why not take a chance in this game and see what he is like, you never know he may kick more goals than Jack. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heads up guys but I thought Lyon said he'd "give Jack Anthony another chance".. Meaning not this week but again once he shows some form in the 2's. I think he'll be dropped this week.

Agreed, I read it that way as well - it was more a case of fending off suggestions that Jack should never play for the club again. But I'd be surprised if he fronted up for us again this week. I guess his only saving grace was that no true replacement really demanded selection.

Jack is a strange cat (kind of a psychologists dream) and I think his treatment last year has really messed with his head. He looks as if he's constantly feeling like he's one wrong step away from never getting a look in again and that's tearing him away from any natural instinctive play. He's literally frightened of making a mistake and copping a spray or being dragged - there's no other reason why he'd try to manufacture a handball instead of taking a kick from just outside 50.

I think as long as he knows he won't be put in the old 'WAFL-box' with the ghost of Schammer, he'll cop it on the chin and go back to Subi to regain some composure with the ball.

So at least two changes for mine.
OUTS: Anthony, Fyfe.
INS: Spur, Silvagni.

Yes, Pearce has been awful providing strength in the midfield and a game high 10 tackles! He would be one of the first players picked this week. Anyone thinking otherwise has not really been watching the games closely.

Indeed. His Disposal against the Blues was an aberration. He's hard, keen, provides presence and his speed is greatly increased on last year. Plus as said, his disposal quality is usually excellent. He's Best 22 right now, without a shred of doubt.

Emergency, my hairy and ever widening asscheeks. ;)

Ross Lyon has said that Jack Anthony will be given another chance this week to perform and Sandi is 50/50 which to me means he won't play. So who comes in for Fyfe?

Well I see Jay Van Berlo played really well for West Perth. Dylan Roberton will only come in if McPhee or Johnson don't play. Will Kepler play after doing very little for West Perth last weekend?

Will Alex Silvangni get a run when the backline is holding up?

Nick Lower is out for a week with a quad injury.

Morabito is not ready yet and what's with Gavin Robert's sinus condition?

Lyon has ruled Sandi out.

• Fyfe out for a while - does/can club put on LTI? Who comes up?
  • Consistent WAFL form puts Grover and Roberton in box seat for a gig. Other notables are Spurr, JVB and SNOS.
  • Ideal replacements, Lower and Mora, best case scenario are avail vs. Port.

http://www.fremantlefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7009/newsid/134690/default.aspx

Lyon said he would avoid using captain Matthew Pavlich extensively through the midfield to cover Fyfe, who will be unavailable for at least three months, instead challenging the rest of his midfield to step up.

The coach said defenders Garrick Ibbotson and Paul Duffield were capable of spending more time in the midfield, and opportunities could present for young runners Jayden Pitt and Dylan Roberton and mature-age recruit Lee Spurr.
"I think it's a short-term fix always throwing Matthew (Pavlich) in there," the coach said.

"If we all work really hard together and be a complementary team around the stoppages, maximise our strengths and minimise our weaknesses, we can still be a really strong AFL midfield.

"We'd love Nathan (Fyfe) there but the fact is he's not and everyone gets an opportunity to grow."

Lyon has ruled Sandi out.

• Fyfe out for a while - does/can club put on LTI? Who comes up?
  • Consistent WAFL form puts Grover and Roberton in box seat for a gig. Other notables are Spurr, JVB and SNOS.
  • Ideal replacements, Lower and Mora, best case scenario are avail vs. Port.

Would think the club'd use the LTI spot they'll get for Fyfe on Menagola. He's been in good form, apparently, and can play wing, forward and high half forward so he'll be a useful option. Good skills, great runner and a decent overhead mark.

He seems the obvious choice of all the guys that are on the rookie list. JWK is still a bit young... I reckon this'll be a WAFL and Roger-Dodger training year for him. Schloithe is learning also, and still has a fair way to go.

With Fyfe out I reckon it'll be Spurr or JVB to get a game. I hope it's Spurr, but JVB has been in consistently good form in the WAFL from what I hear. I know Roberton's been playing on the wing more instead of in the back line (and I don't see him getting a spot there as he's not a small defender), but I reckon Spurr and JVB fit the needs a bit better (more versatile, quicker).

Would be very surprised if SNOS or Grover get a shot (and Elvis to move forward). Ross doesn't seem to like tampering with his defense.

Reckon Lower and Mora will have to play a couple of good games in WAFL before they get a call up.

Yet another reason why I love the bloke. Ross refusing to rob Peter to pay Paul.

Any opposition in the league would be happier with Pav in the midfield rather than the forward line. So why would we ever oblige them.

With the mids we've already got on the list now, there's enough depth to cover the midfield... especially with Mundy and Barlow back, Crowley in good form and others like Broughton, Mz, Balla (who I hope remains in the forward line) and even De Boer that can run through there and do the job.

What we don't have is a functioning forward line. It's structurally an absolute mess. Pav pulling himself out of there and into the midfield would only make that worse. We seem to look more dangerous with him at full forward (and away from the midfield). That article Brad Hardie wrong about Pav's leading patterns was interesting.
http://m.smh.com.au/blogs/harden-up/leadership-is-what-freo-needs-from-pav-20120430-1xtx5.html

Reckon Ross and Suma will have some fairly clear instructions for the forward line to work on this week, and they'll be expecting the captain to play a key role in maintaining the structures they want.

So glad we grabbed Ross. Feel sorry for Harvs, but the reality is that he wasn't the man for the job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back