Changes for the 3rd test in Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Khawaja is out, Johnson has retired, Hazlewood is supposedly meant to be rested and Marsh is under the pump.

Klinger and Marsh are the two experienced men likely to get Khawaja's spot while Bancroft, Handscomb and Maddinson are also being talked about. Henriques was rumoured on abc radio to be a big chance to play while Glenn Maxwell must also be in with a shot, especially on the turning Adelaide oval.

Siddle will most likely come. Do they bring in Pattinson or is it too early? Is there a chance for a second spinner? Agar may be a chance, while Ahmed has continued his fantastic first class form this year.

Pick your 11

There's no point dropping Mitch Marsh after two tests. If he's in now he should be in at least until the end of the summer. His bowling has been important, too.

I think it will be as simple as Shaun Marsh and Siddle in for Khawaja and Johnson, with Khawaja to come back in after 2 tests.
He played the last ashes test so he's had 3 tests in a row now, 9 test all up. His bowling has been solid, but he's batting at number 6 so when push comes to shove he has to make runs. One 50 in 16 innings poor.

I don't like the idea that we have to have an all rounder no matter what, but I think both those guys would offer more with the bat than Marsh. I'd be happy for Maxwell to be given a decent go at number 6.

I don't like it either, but I'm not CA.

I doubt either of those guys will offer any more with the bat than Marsh, though.

There's no point dropping Mitch Marsh after two tests. If he's in now he should be in at least until the end of the summer. His bowling has been important, too.

I think it will be as simple as Shaun Marsh and Siddle in for Khawaja and Johnson, with Khawaja to come back in after 2 tests.

agree

mitch marsh has been poor with the bat but feel he can turn into one of our greatest all rounders. Investment in him against NZ and the WI will pay dividends if things start to click.

Klinger in for Khawaja and Siddle for Johnson. Marsh is on thin ice but Maxwell is far from the answer.

Who makes the squad is anyones guess, hopefully Bancroft and the extra bowler could be a spinner.

Siddle for Johnson

Probably Marsh for Khawaja

Most of the other pace options are either unfit or "managed", so I'd go Maxwell/Agar as a second spinner. Mitch Marsh has bowled better than some of our frontline quicks, and Siddle can bowl long spells.

(One particular poster would just about spontaneously combust if Siddle, Shaun Marsh AND Maxwell were all brought into the team.)

Has Adelaide spun enough where we need a 2nd spinner?
Not in recent times and with the pink ball I'd say a seamer is probably a better bet, which saves Marsh.

Jackson Bird is currently 2nd on the wicket taking list this season, any chance of a recall ??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

agree

mitch marsh has been poor with the bat but feel he can turn into one of our greatest all rounders. Investment in him against NZ and the WI will pay dividends if things start to click.

I think people are pretty impatient with Mitch Marsh's batting. He hasn't set the world on fire this series but if you look at the opportunities he has had with the bat it's not like has been in the position to score 100s anyway.

Realistically he needs those batting above him to perform worse so he can have a chance to build an innings, which is not something we really want to see.

Lets not forget that CA have apparently said Hazlewood will be rested so that is 3 forced changes.
If that is the case...

David Warner
Joe Burns
Michael Klinger
Steve Smith (c)
Adam Voges
Mitch Marsh
Peter Nevill (+)
James Pattinson
Mitchell Starc
Peter Siddle
Nathan Lyon

I think people are pretty impatient with Mitch Marsh's batting. He hasn't set the world on fire this series but if you look at the opportunities he has had with the bat it's not like has been in the position to score 100s anyway.

Realistically he needs those batting above him to perform worse so he can have a chance to build an innings, which is not something we really want to see.

I can't agree with you there. He had a great opportunity today to come in and make some runs, with very little pressure also. He also had a few of opportunities in England to make runs and he couldn't get to double figures.

If we were looking for a longer term replacement I'd say Klinger but because it is really only a 2 test fill in spot I'd lean towards a younger guy like Handscomb or Bancroft. Siddle and Pattinson to make up the 12 man squad. Possibly even bring in Agar just in case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back