Changes for the first test V West Indies

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Who will come in for the first Test against the Windies?

Mitchell Starc will play no further part in this summer, and James Pattinson seems his likely replacement. It's been said that we will be resting Hazlewood but I'm not sold that this will happen, either way, another bowler has to come into the squad. Bird is bowling well for Tassie, Doug the rug has been talked up a heap by Michael Slater and his army and there are a few young bowlers out there performing well.

Mitch Marsh's batting has been nothing short of disappointing since coming back in the side. Sure he made a fighting 28 but he struggled his way rough early and then through away his wicket at a crucial stage. One fifty in 18 innings is nothing short of terrible for a top 6 batsman. Lehman wouldn't guarantee his spot in the side and also brought up the possibility of Marsh being demoted to 7 and Neville promoted to 6. I'm not a fan of this, if he's not good enough to bat in the top 6 then he needs to go back to WA for a while.

All other positions are safe until the Koala comes back IMO.

Who will come in for the first Test against the Windies?

Mitchell Starc will play no further part in this summer, and James Pattinson seems his likely replacement. It's been said that we will be resting Hazlewood but I'm not sold that this will happen, either way, another bowler has to come into the squad. Bird is bowling well for Tassie, Doug the rug has been talked up a heap by Michael Slater and his army and there are a few young bowlers out there performing well.

Mitch Marsh's batting has been nothing short of disappointing since coming back in the side. Sure he made a fighting 28 but he struggled his way rough early and then through away his wicket at a crucial stage. One fifty in 18 innings is nothing short of terrible for a top 6 batsman. Lehman wouldn't guarantee his spot in the side and also brought up the possibility of Marsh being demoted to 7 and Neville promoted to 6. I'm not a fan of this, if he's not good enough to bat in the top 6 then he needs to go back to WA for a while.

All other positions are safe until the Koala comes back IMO.

Hazelwood has 10 days to rest so should be fine. Prefer a lefty to come into the squad so long as it isn't the Rug. No need to go there against a weak WI team, give a young bowler some exposure. If we drop a Marsh would prefer it was Shaun. I would get rid of Voges but that isn't going to happen sadly.

Hazelwood has 10 days to rest so should be fine. Prefer a lefty to come into the squad so long as it isn't the Rug. No need to go there against a weak WI team, give a young bowler some exposure. If we drop a Marsh would prefer it was Shaun. I would get rid of Voges but that isn't going to happen sadly.
Khawaja will be back for Boxing Day so as much as I was opposed to S Marsh getting a game, I see no reason to swap him around for one game.

What should happen:

Burns
Warner
Smith
Voges
Handscomb
Nevill
M Marsh
Pattinson
Lyon
Hazlewood
Bird

What will happen:

Burns
Warner
Smith
Voges
S Marsh
Nevill
M Marsh
Pattinson
Siddle
Hazlewood
Lyon

Marsh will survive. His bowling has been very good. A chance to score runs against a weak WI team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There will only be the one change.

Warner
Burns
Smith
Voges
S.Marsh
M.Marsh
Nevill
Siddle
Hazlewood
Pattinson
Lyon

This.
I wonder if the selectors might consider moving S.Marsh up to 3 against the West Indies which allows Smith to go back to his usual spot at 4.

Argghh, no. S.Marsh has been shuffled all around the order, if we are going to get anything out him, it has to be in his favoured position of five.

He's only going to play in Hobart until Khawaja comes back anyway. Might as well get Smith back into his favoured spot at 4.

He's only going to play in Hobart until Khawaja comes back anyway. Might as well get Smith back into his favoured spot at 4.
Smith can, and should, be able to play at three. If Marsh makes runs and Burns doesn't, then selection for the Second Test is not so obvious. We should be hoping for everyone to make the most they can get to create competition for spots, and for S.Marsh, that means batting at five.

A bit of talk that they will bring in Nathan Coulter-Nile. Would be a bit of joke considering he has done nothing this summer except get suspended for being a bellend towards an umpire.

McDermott on the ABC pretty much said he's next in line if he shows any sort of form and discipline.

Siddle apparently with back spasms is no certainty either, so there's every chance that NCN or someone like Bird would get a go.

If a "batting all rounder" is what we want...i.e. a batsman who can send down a few overs here and there to relieve the main brigade....they could certainly do far worse than Stoinis.

Smith can, and should, be able to play at three. If Marsh makes runs and Burns doesn't, then selection for the Second Test is not so obvious. We should be hoping for everyone to make the most they can get to create competition for spots, and for S.Marsh, that means batting at five.

I just don't see Marsh as a long term solution for us. He's failed that many times when some guys out there like Klinger have never even had a chance to prove themselves at international level. I'm happy that he got 49 yesterday but he's gone as soon as Khawaja is right to go.

You should be buying him a drink.
Drinks are free... hence why I have had 2 quick ones and am about to go for a third, fourth and maybe fifth before my flight in an hour. Luckily I have an aisle seat for both flights... otherwise it might annoy people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back