Changes for the first test V West Indies

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
He was awful, however I don't blame him- I blame the selectors. You don't pick blokes off a couple of games here and there. Bird has a better chance of succeeding at test level right now. If Boland does it for a season, I'm all for it. I always say, reward performances.

This is not right, Hastings had deserved his selection by consistently performing at Shield level. He wasn't up to Test level but he earnt a shot at it, through performances.

NathanBracken04

Debutant
Jan 12, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Isn't Sayers the guy that Ponting took a pot-shot at a few years ago... basically saying he was getting his wickets because of overly helpful pitches. It was a general statement about the quality of bowlers in the Shield at the time, but he specifically named Sayers.

Besides, there is no way we should ever select a guy named Chad, let alone someone named Chadd.

At the risk of sounding like a biased South Australian (which I clearly am), isn't the old cliche that South Australian batsmen don't make the Test team because AO is too easy to bat on? And now our bowlers can't get picked because it's too easy to bowl on?

Tyberious Funk

Premiership Player
May 13, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Chadd Sayers needs to take a leaf out of de Villiers book and start getting people to call him CJ Sayers.

CJ Sayers opens the bowling for Australia. Chadd Sayers plays out his career for the Redbacks

Yep, AB de Villiers is the captain of the South African cricket team, one of the best batsman of all time, and goes home each night to bang his smoking hot wife.

Abraham Benjamin de Villiers is a balding suburban accountant doing tax returns and BAS statements.

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
I wonder if Henriques was not injured if he would be considered an outside chance to play?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Stopher

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2012
Gippsland
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool
This is not right, Hastings had deserved his selection by consistently performing at Shield level. He wasn't up to Test level but he earnt a shot at it, through performances.

He wasn't up to Test level as an opening bowler. But then, that should've been obvious before he got a cap.

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I wonder if Henriques was not injured if he would be considered an outside chance to play?
Is he really much different to Mitch Marsh? He's probably a better bat but poorer bowler. Ultimately, we don't have an AR who excels in both disciplines. Fortunately Marsh is doing one of them very nicely.

I personally don't see Henriques bowling as ever being of test standard - he's very vanilla

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
It's not like NCN has come from nowhere. He's played ODIs and was clearly a front runner outside the frontline bowlers. It's odd that they have picked him, given he hasn't played Shield this year, but as I mentioned earlier, I don't think he will play and this is just about getting him in and around the team.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj
It's not like NCN has come from nowhere. He's played ODIs and was clearly a front runner outside the frontline bowlers. It's odd that they have picked him, given he hasn't played Shield this year, but as I mentioned earlier, I don't think he will play and this is just about getting him in and around the team.

In this particular case the backup bowler must be a decent chance to play though, siddle is dodgy, patto is made of glass and they have been talking about hazlewood due for rest for a while now.

You would think the dodgy fitness of all concerned would have made picking an in form and active shield bowler a must.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
well, he has come from nowhere given he hasnt played since march apparently. there are a few bowlers performing well at the state level this year and they go with a guy who hasnt played since last summer? apart from the fact they have chosen a player who is either coming back from an injury without any game time or not good enough to get a game, what kind of message does that send to the guys who are playing and are playing well? the only conclusion they can draw is that you wont be picked even if youre in form, if there is a selectors favourite waiting. thats going to do wonders for encouraging young bowlers isnt it.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In this particular case the backup bowler must be a decent chance to play though, siddle is dodgy, patto is made of glass and they have been talking about hazlewood due for rest for a while now.

You would think the dodgy fitness of all concerned would have made picking an in form and active shield bowler a must.
I guess thats why Boland is on standby as well (being he is actually playing). Bird would have made more sense though

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Siddle has back injuries
Pattinson has massive injury issues and was originally going to only return for Boxing Day
Before the Perth test they were telling everyone that Hazlewood needed urgent rest
Coulter-Nile is injury prone and hasn't played a game yet
Scott Boland is a good ordinary shield bowler with one good haul under his belt

I guess that's one way for the allrounder to justify his selection

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
well, he has come from nowhere given he hasnt played since march apparently. there are a few bowlers performing well at the state level this year and they go with a guy who hasnt played since last summer? apart from the fact they have chosen a player who is either coming back from an injury without any game time or not good enough to get a game, what kind of message does that send to the guys who are playing and are playing well? the only conclusion they can draw is that you wont be picked even if youre in form, if there is a selectors favourite waiting. thats going to do wonders for encouraging young bowlers isnt it.

Talented young bowlers know they will get selected willy nilly anyway. See Pat 'I made my test debut before Warner but still haven't played 10 FC matches' Cummins

Underdog

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
Well, he's played grade cricket and 2nd XI, so he has played some cricket.

I see this as a sign that selectors rate NCN so much higher than the others that they'd prefer to play him underdone then backing a bloke who isn't realistically in the frame for ongoing selection.

Back