Changes for the Q clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not just personnel changes but positional changes required. Paps needs to go forwards, not good enough a kick and gets lost too much to play back. Green needs to start, not be sub. Redden needs to play as a Tagger to force him into the game and not just drift in and out. McStay can go back in place of Paps because he looks lost up forward and his second efforts are appalling.

Robinson out (Might be hard at it but not contributing anything else.)
Aish out (can speculate all we like why but he is doing SFA at the minute)

Staker, Merrett (if fit) both in

We are clutching at straws, but we have no choice, Luey and Staker come back and to play as permanent forwards, they have to stand up and at least give us a contest. Our midfielders and half backline need to have some long options. I would still play McStay forward and let him be our 3rd tall. We are clutching at straws!!!

OUT = lacklustre attitude, IN = genuine intensity 100% of the time

In terms of players,

OUT = Aish, IN = Lester - and for God sake play him as an inside mid. Aish can basically piss off to the reserves for the rest of the year if he has no intention of committing to the Club IMHO.
OUT = Andrews, IN = Luey - Andrews has heaps of potential but I really doubt the benefit of gifting him games early in his career (especially ones in which we get smashed). Whatever happened to making kids really earn their call up in the reserves???
OUT = McStay, IN = Staker - Staker should not have been dropped after one game back from injury; McStay continues to drift into and out of games without any real intensity.
OUT = Mitch Robinson, IN = Harwood - this one is pretty doubtful given Harwood has only just played his first game in the reserves, but Robinson continues to kill us with his disposal (which is more than a little ironic given Harwood is hardly known for his great kicking himself - although that is something he has in common with about 90% of our list actually).

I know O'Brien continues to do well in the NEAFL, but I have seen no signs he will make it at Senior level. I just don't think bringing in yet another skinny body mid will do anything for an incredibly young / skinny side.

Not just personnel changes but positional changes required. Paps needs to go forwards, not good enough a kick and gets lost too much to play back. Green needs to start, not be sub. Redden needs to play as a Tagger to force him into the game and not just drift in and out. McStay can go back in place of Paps because he looks lost up forward and his second efforts are appalling.

Thought McStay played pretty well today. Mids just couldnt get it into the forward line. McStaay also going down the wing to get some grabs. We need to develop forwards, we can't just put them in the backline.

I think the Green sub was just a subtle kick up the behind to tell him he needs to play with a bit more intent with and without the ball.

Last edited:

Gerard Healy said during the match that he had a talk to Merrett at the game and he is still 2 weeks away. It seems his hamstring injury was worse than originally thought.

Out: Andrews and others
In: Leuey, Staker, Merrett

In: Staker, Lester, Leuenberger, O'Brien
Out: Paparone, Aish, Andrews, Robinson

Adcock Gardiner Golby
Beams Clarke Rich

Cutler Lester Robertson

Redden Martin Zorko
Green Staker McStay

Foll: Leuey, Rockliff, Beams
Int: Bewick, Taylor, O'Brien
Sub: Bundy

Leuenberger as number one ruck because we need a big body up forward and Martin can provide that, lead up the ground and take a contested grab. Would give Staker the opportunity to play the second forward role and McStay they third tall role which they both do well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In: Staker, Lester, Leuenberger, O'Brien
Out: Paparone, Aish, Andrews, Robinson

Adcock Gardiner Golby
Beams Clarke Rich

Cutler Lester Robertson

Redden Martin Zorko
Green Staker McStay

Foll: Leuey, Rockliff, Beams
Int: Bewick, Taylor, O'Brien
Sub: Bundy

Leuenberger as number one ruck because we need a big body up forward and Martin can provide that, lead up the ground and take a contested grab. Would give Staker the opportunity to play the second forward role and McStay they third tall role which they both do well.

I really like this idea. We do need that big forward target. Martin is our only option at this stage. A real shame Jono Freeman is injured.

Just a random thought: Would Lester replacing Redden work? Give jack some time in the ressies to get some form while replacing him with a similar(?) player who has played well in the centre.

I really like this idea. We do need that big forward target. Martin is our only option at this stage. A real shame Jono Freeman is injured.

Yeah, was looking forward to seeing Freeman progress after his nice couple of games last year. I rate him higher than Close comfortably.

Just a random thought: Would Lester replacing Redden work? Give jack some time in the ressies to get some form while replacing him with a similar(?) player who has played well in the centre.

There's no doubting Reddo is seriously below his usual standard but Robinson probably gets dropped ahead of him for mine. Turnover Merchant. He'd probably be a decent tagger.

Yeah, was looking forward to seeing Freeman progress after his nice couple of games last year. I rate him higher than Close comfortably.

Freeman is the big goal square target we are lacking. Goes well in the contested marks which is really what we need. Close has his role but it isn't as important to us.

Out: All of our senior players
In: all our reserve players they would at least put in a performance

Our reserves players lost to Ainslie... :eek:

Far out. Freeman turned into Wayne Carey over summer. Remarkable. Assume the Coleman is still in reach if he's back by mid-year.

It is not about him being Wayne Carey it is about him being a big bodied target we need. Still years away from fulfilling his potential.

It is not about him being Wayne Carey it is about him being a big bodied target we need. Still years away from fulfilling his potential.
I think he will make zero difference if he returns to a side that misses more targets than it hits. And I think you grossly overstate his likely impact on the side given he's yet another junior player being asked to play a grown up's role.

Far out. Freeman turned into Wayne Carey over summer. Remarkable. Assume the Coleman is still in reach if he's back by mid-year.

We need someone with a big body up there was the point of the conversation and surprise, surprise, he is the only big bodied natural forward we have that can take a contested grab. No one is proclaiming him to be the second coming. Andrews, McStay and Close don't have the body or strength yet. Which is of course expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back