Changes for the Q clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ZOB In Robinson Out
Lester In Aish Out
Berger In Andrews Out

A few others deserve to be dropped but we have no one that can come in and replace them.
Would like to see us to play Paps as a loose man in defence.

Adcock Gardiner Golby
Paps
C.Beams Clarke Rich

Cutler D.Beams Robertson

Bundy McStay Zorko
Berger Green

Foll: Martin Rocky Redden

Int: Lester ZOB Taylor Sub: Bewick

Minimal changes unless we have injuries or Merrett is available. Need some continuity. Not sure if we should drop Aish or give him the vest and challenge him to make an impact on the game. Andrews probably needs to go back to the reserves to build on what he's learnt.

Also, why are we dropping Paparone?

Robinson wont get dropped as he puts in hard at training. Good message.
Aish wont get dropped after Leppas comments about being up and down part of being a second year player.
Redden really isnt playing that badly.
Andrews out for Leuey and Martin plays CHF.

Robinson wont get dropped as he puts in hard at training. Good message.
Aish wont get dropped after Leppas comments about being up and down part of being a second year player.
Redden really isnt playing that badly.
Andrews out for Leuey and Martin plays CHF.
Dude, he touched the ball 6 ******* times

Aish out for O'Brien
Paparone out (go back to reserves clean up disposal), McStay back (clearly talented but just doesn't work enough as a forward, lacks structure, natural defender), and Hammelmann in (11/12 goals in 3 games in NEAFL? Different type of forward to staker/mcstay/even andrews, gets separation through 5m burst of speed and strong hands, despite being very light at the moment - give him a crack for a couple of weeks)
Andrews out (great learning curve, lots of potential and couple of weeks would do him a world of good in the long run as an education) for Luey (needs to be 60-40% in the ruck AT LEAST)
Staker (need that target even to just bring the ball to ground doesn't matter if he can't kick it probably if he continues to create a contest and get our smalls in the game - way too many rebounding goals last few weeks) for Robinson (who i foresee being back in the next few weeks at most)

McStay forward I believe is such a short-term plug (for the injuries to Close, Freeman, etc) and while he is learning, he is a defender and I really like a lot of the traits he brings to the table. If they are going to lose, lets lose with a view to the future, which I don't think includes McStay up forward. Granted, we don't have many options... Id prefer to see him back with Hammelmann and Staker up there though. In a few years, Clarke, Gardiner, McStay, Cutler, McGrath and C.Beams has the potential to become a premiership back line. In addition, to get some games into Hammelmann and Andrews early in their careers, as well as Close and Freeman (hopefully as soon as possible) is essential for their development. Yes, we need to trade in a forward, but we also need at least one or two of those four to really make the grade, which I think they will. One of those (Andrews or Freeman), or someone like a Charlie Dixon needs to become that 20-30% ruck as a genuine forward that we really need to complement Martin/Luey in the ruck, who are genuine rucks that I believe struggle in any other role... Then with Close/Freeman we have a #1 target with someone like that Dixon (fingers crossed!) and then hopefully someone like Andrews/Hammelmann becoming that real tall running skilful forward.

I'm now where near experienced enough in AFL watching to know the full ramifications of this suggestion but it would be fun to see:

1. When Rog comes back to defensive anchor (he said several times that it takes him a couple of weeks to get used to a move if he moves from back to fwd)
2. Justin Clarke goes up forward and skittles a few packs. He's got a few strong contested marks and has no shortage of tank or courage or boot.

Stef Martin can stay in No 1 ruck

How would forward talls of Clarke, Luenbergererereerer (re Pink Panther) & McStay go.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lz0IT4Uk2xQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

McStay has 2nd or third defender and can come in for his "drifting in from the side" or speccy mark Luey can be the pinch hit ruck and we have more than enough mozzies/rotating mids/floaters.

Clarke also adds defensive pressure up forward

Defensive 50 is the obvious question mark but would be fun/interesting to see and take some pressure off McStay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just personnel changes but positional changes required. Paps needs to go forwards, not good enough a kick and gets lost too much to play back. Green needs to start, not be sub. Redden needs to play as a Tagger to force him into the game and not just drift in and out. McStay can go back in place of Paps because he looks lost up forward and his second efforts are appalling.

Robinson out (Might be hard at it but not contributing anything else.)
Aish out (can speculate all we like why but he is doing SFA at the minute)

Staker, Merrett (if fit) both in
Agree with robinson and aish. Im a big fan of robinson but he isnt going hard at it enough i think he is a little worried that if he gets suspended thats it. Aish done zip.

Id drop paps to the magoos and i thought mcstay was our more dangerous forward. Really could have kicked 3 if he kicked them two in the last half.

B: Adcock, Merrett, Gardiner
HB: Beams, Clarke, Golby
C: Culter, Rockliff, Rich
FOL: Martin, Beams, Redden
HF: Zorko, Staker, Taylor
F: Green, McStay, Hammelen
INT: Christensen, Robertson, Bewick; Paparone

In: Merrett, Staker, Hammelen
Out: Aish, Robinson, Andrews

We need to give my man Hammelen games this season. His exactly the type of player we need in our side. A leading forward. Kicked 5 goals on the weekend and another 5 a weeek or so ago.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind playing Staker back if Merrett is not available. We need a 3rd tall down back. If fit Harwood is a must as he's our quickest shut down defender and the Suns have an extremely quick team. Leuey for Andrews is a no brainer. Andrews has had a good taste and Leuey has been given a good rocket and had a couple of games to find touch.

Agree with robinson and aish. Im a big fan of robinson but he isnt going hard at it enough i think he is a little worried that if he gets suspended thats it. Aish done zip.

Id drop paps to the magoos and i thought mcstay was our more dangerous forward. Really could have kicked 3 if he kicked them two in the last half.

I thought McStay was a little better this week as a forward, although that's not saying much.

However, in his short stint down back there was a mark he took so comfortably, reading the flight so naturally, which suggested to me that in the long term he's going to be a significantly better defender.

I reckon move Paparone to the the wing. He can drift back and help out but he can play the role he was drafted to linking up the backs and the forwards. Preferably we'd have better kicks running past when he gets the footy for a handball receive.

I reckon move Paparone to the the wing.

I don't mind this idea, haven't liked Paps in Defense so far and he showed decent signs on the Wing last year if I'm not mistaken. Not sure who would take his spot in the defensive line though.

We need to give my man Hammelen games this season. His exactly the type of player we need in our side. A leading forward. Kicked 5 goals on the weekend and another 5 a weeek or so ago.

Not doubtin the Hammers potential but fair dinkum looked like he was playing on 15 year olds

Certainly Hammelman kicking multiple goals in the reserves is a great sign and early signs are there is something to work with there, but we need to be cautious in how we build these guys up given they're such young bodies. Pre season there was a fair bit of bagging of Close and people saying that McStay should play up forward. Now people are saying Hammelman is now the one we should be playing given McStay has been a bit underwhelming in a KPF role.

While he may get out on the lead well in the NEAFL and underage footy there's a big difference between doing it there and doing it in the AFL where the backs are doing everything they can to not let you get that run on the footy and are just as quick.

Bringing in progressively younger and smaller (bodywise) guys after the last guy we tried didn't quite perform like a seasoned vet isn't the answer to build any sort of consistency or confidence in the team when entering inside 50. Each guy leads slightly differently in both timing and direction even if they are playing to a team plan. Some guys are great diving chest marks, some guys are much better high overhead in order to use their leap, and each one is better at receiving the ball in a certain way. We need a bit of time to develop some chemistry and knowledge between the mids and forwards, and thats not going to happen if we continually shuffle through our forwards.

IMO one of the biggest areas we're lacking at the moment is a mid sized marking target to lead into the space vacuum created by leading forwards. I had hopes Mayes could fullfill this role but he hasn't really played it quite yet. Christensen looked alright a few times doing it but he played a bit further up the ground the last few weeks. We know we're going to struggle KPF wise at the moment so this position is a really crucial one and not having anyone (post Ash) is really costing us

Think Luey will continue to play 2's? They're surely not playing all three
Until he can provide a viable option equal to or better than Andrews has been then he will play 2's with Martin our main ruck IMO. Andrews looks like a natural forward who can ruck a bit, which we need moreso than a decent ruckman who can pinch hit forward like Leuey.

Give him a crack. I'd like to persist with Andrews as well.

McStay is an interesting one. I think his game was much improved last weekend. 7 marks and got up the ground a bit. Looked equally decent in the brief time he pent in the backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back