Preview Changes & pre-match discussion vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for being negative as I hate being that about North, but **** me how does Currie get a game? He is nowhere near AFL standard. I hope I'm sensationally wrong but Jesus (tis the season) if he actively inadvertently sabotages us like he did against Port Adelaide I'll be going hard at Brad Scott. I'm expecting Goldy to suffer as a result of this as well. I'm flat.
Because Tarrant's injured and Daw's not up to it by the selection committee's standards.

Guys, not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I have some inside information from a reputable source close to the club. Can't divulge the source, but hopefully all of you on here have seen enough of my posts over time to trust me.

My source says that North got the taper wrong before round 1, and the players were not able to run at the level expected of them against Essendon. They left it too late with backing off of the pre-season training. I'm referring to the break between the last practice match and round 1. It wasn't handled properly, and obviously the club has learnt from it.

Hence, bad loss, and then sudden recovery to a 3-game winning streak, and obviously a lot more hope and confidence.

Thought it was worth sharing.

I think the issue is being told one thing and then the opposite being the actual case come team announcement time. (that said, he was a 50/50 as stated by Mr. Scott.)

As you said, we haven't been told categorically that he was going to play (as far as I canremember). We've just jumped to that assumption because he seemed to be close to playing against Port

For all those questioning the currie inclusion, it is very simple. As someone (can't remember who, sorry) pointed out earlier in the thread we absolutely must take 2 ruckmen to Perth next week. That, plus Goldy coming off a 6 day break where he rucked alsmost the whole game in a heavy stoppage game make the Currie selection very simple.

Like it or not, he was only dropped last week because of the rain. It had nothing to do with his form. Clearly the match committee are happy to give him more than 2 games to adjust to AFL level. Nahas is stiff (hehehe) but Scott clearly wants to play 3 talls and none of the other tall forwards are fit.

Nahas game last week has been overrated on this board. Sure he was busy but he did a couple of really bad things.

That bullshit shot on goal when he had teammates on and over cooking the regulation 20 meter pass in our forward 50.

His pressure was great though

Guys, not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I have some inside information from a reputable source close to the club. Can't divulge the source, but hopefully all of you on here have seen enough of my posts over time to trust me.

My source says that North got the taper wrong before round 1, and the players were not able to run at the level expected of them against Essendon. They left it too late with backing off of the pre-season training. I'm referring to the break between the last practice match and round 1. It wasn't handled properly, and obviously the club has learnt from it.

Hence, bad loss, and then sudden recovery to a 3-game winning streak, and obviously a lot more hope and confidence.

Thought it was worth sharing.

If North didn't have paid physiologists and directors of sports science who's sole purpose is to design and plan out a off season and pre season program to make sure the team is ready for round one, I'd believe this. However, there is a group of them who are watching and monitoring work intensity, duration of sessions and session programming. That seems extremely disappointing and rather unprofessional.

So I just think it was because the team weren't expecting the intensity and game plan from the opposition. Although if it was the case about tapering, they would need more then one week to improve the way they did.

If North didn't have paid physiologists and directors of sports science who's sole purpose is to design and plan out a off season and pre season program to make sure the team is ready for round one, I'd believe this. However, there is a group of them who are watching and monitoring work intensity, duration of sessions and session programming. That seems extremely disappointing and rather unprofessional.

So I just think it was because the team weren't expecting the intensity and game plan from the opposition. Although if it was the case about tapering, they would need more then one week to improve the way they did.
TBH, I don't really care why we sucked in round 1. So long as our form for the rest of the season is good enough to prove that it was an aberration then that is all that matters to me

For those who haven't seen the team as named........

TEAM: Ziebell to miss again
Rob Burton - @robburton5

17 April 2014 6:20 PM

He polled three Brownlow votes in the last meeting between the two sides, but Jack Ziebell won’t have the chance to replicate that effort on Saturday after being ruled out for selection.

While coach Brad Scott rated the midfielder a ’50-50’ chance on Wednesday, Ziebell will be forced to spend another week on the sidelines with a shoulder injury.

It will be the third match in a row the number 7 has missed, after sustaining the injury in a contest against the Bulldogs in Round 2.

Ziebell had 27 touches and kicked 4 goals against Collingwood in Round 23 last year.

In more encouraging news, Daniel Currie makes his return to the side after he was a late withdrawal against the Swans.

The Roos have opted for a two-ruck setup with Pies’ youngster Brodie Grundy and Jarrod Witts to deal with in the middle.

Currie will line up for just his third match in North Melbourne colours, while Robin Nahas is the unlucky omission after an encouraging debut.

The former Tiger was particularly impressive early last week before finishing with 17 possessions, but was substituted in the third quarter with cramp.

Nahas has been named as an emergency, alongside Sam Wright and Joel Tippett.

Collingwood will go in with an unchanged lineup following the win against Richmond.

Backs M.Firrito 11 N.Grima 17 N.Dal Santo 15
Half Backs S.Atley 18 S.Thompson 16 L.Greenwood 24
Centreline S.Gibson 43 R.Bastinac 3 B.McKenzie 2
Half Forwards L.Thomas 12 A.Black 35 B.Cunnington 10
Forwards L.Adams 13 D.Petrie 20 L.Hansen 6
Followers T.Goldstein 22 D.Wells 8 B.Harvey 29
Interchange D.Currie 1 B.Jacobs 5 L.McDonald 21 A.Mullett 41
Emergencies S.Wright 19 R.Nahas 28 J.Tippett 36

In: D.Currie
Out: R.Nahas (Omitted)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NDS named in a pocket against Witts

Bit surprised they didn't bring Adams 2.0 in, I thought he was supposed to be good?

After playing poorly in round 1, he was sub in rounds 2 and 3, where he was suspended and missed round 4.

The decision was made that he needed a full game in the VFL as he has effectively only played a half in 4 weeks including the gap week.

We are still trying to figure out our midfield rotation and how we fit them all in (we run quite deep too like you guys in my opinion), Josh Thomas has just come back who we rate highly but he is similar to both Ball and Adams so it is hard to fit all three in unless someone can play on a wing or on a flank. We tried Adams there in round 1 to average results. Buckley has been playing a midfielder as our sub each week rather than the quick forward type. We just have a log jam in that part of the ground...and are undermanned a little over the rest of the park.

As game day approaches think Macaffer will go to Dal Santo, it's the more ideal leg speed matchup for him and the most probable of being successful in my view. The extra input from Dal and improvement of Cunnington seems to be a plus for you this year.

My main concern is having enough/quality small and medium defenders to keep you in check from kicking a winning score...our key defenders will toil hard and do a better job than you will expect but it's the Harvey/Thomas/Wells combo I am worried about kicking a fair chunk of your score. Our structures have held up in recent weeks but it will be tested on Saturday.

Think we are going slightly better than people think but I'd have North favourites (can't understand why they're not) as your backline and forward output has been more consistent. All the best...

Think we are going slightly better than people think but I'd have North favourites (can't understand why they're not) as your backline and forward output has been more consistent. All the best...
1) Because we're missing arguably our 2 best mids in Swallow and Ziebell against one of the strongest midfields
2) We played in the wet in Sydney on Sunday and have had 2 less days to prepare for the game than you
3) It's your home ground, and not one we've played a lot on in recent times

Pies are rightly favourites according to betting agencies.

sort of hoping for rain tomorrow so currie is a late withdrawal, i obviously don't see what scott sees in him. Would rather Wood as our 3rd forward with Petrie pinch hitting in the ruck

For all those questioning the currie inclusion, it is very simple. As someone (can't remember who, sorry) pointed out earlier in the thread we absolutely must take 2 ruckmen to Perth next week. That, plus Goldy coming off a 6 day break where he rucked alsmost the whole game in a heavy stoppage game make the Currie selection very simple.

Like it or not, he was only dropped last week because of the rain. It had nothing to do with his form. Clearly the match committee are happy to give him more than 2 games to adjust to AFL level. Nahas is stiff (hehehe) but Scott clearly wants to play 3 talls and none of the other tall forwards are fit.

You make some good points there, especially with regard to next week and I have no issue with that.

But for mine i'd still suggest Currie is very lucky to get his spot back, I would have preferred the extra midfield run against the Pies. Even if he kicks a couple a goals, his lack of speed and pressure hurts us just as much the other way.

I would like to be proved wrong tomorrow and he shows a fair bit more than he has so far. The Pies will look to exploit him at every opportunity so I would play him close to goal and maybe move Petrie further up the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back