Unofficial Preview Changes/prematch discussion vs Melbourne [team changes post #293]

Remove this Banner Ad

I just hope we don't go down the path of resting players, we are not that good yet to get away with it, not saying we'd lose to the Dees or anything but I'm one who doesnt believe in flirting with form, come first final it could prove costly, players lose their edge and momentum when rested I believe.

Ok so we know Wells, Hansen and Macmillan are in.

Mullett probably the first to be 'omitted'.

Jacobs, Adams and Wright likely the next three on the chopping block, despite some ok performances recently. For mine Turner must stay in and would be an injustice to drop him.

So it really depends on who Scott rests to see if they keep their spot - it seems it will be Spud, and maybe McDonald going by his comments. Hence;

In: Wells, Hansen, Macmillan
Out; Mullett, Firrito, McDonald

Jacobs and Wright likely to be omitted the following week when LMac and Spud return, unless they make themselves un-droppable with a quality game or Macmillan doesn't show enough.

Jacobs and Wright likely to be omitted the following week when LMac and Spud return, unless they make themselves un-droppable with a quality game or Macmillan doesn't show enough.

It would be a staggering show of faith to keep Kayne in for the first final. Utterly staggering.

Wright has been excellent since he's been in the team, save a few garbage disposals (the missed sealer against the Crows springs to mind - yuck), and Jacobs has been building steadily and comfortably.

I think both keep their spots, and Adams and Turner get dropped for the final.

So this week:

In: Wells, Hansen, MacMillan
Out: Mullett, Firrito, McDonald

Then the EF:

In: Firrito, McDonald
Out: Adams, Turner

Thought I should personally thank a dees fan for your win over Carlton. Very enjoyable.

As for beating *, yeh this does seem to be your strange little talent. Long may it continue.

Ignoring the 140 point loss where the players got booed off the ground I think we have beaten them every year since about 03

I dont subscribe to the notion of "its flirting with form" if we rest players who are clearly tired. Using that theory finishing top four winning your first final and having a rest week for the whole team would be a disadvantage.

I'll be staggered if they drop Turner ever again.

Has shown more maturity, poise under pressure, ferocity at the contest then so many of his peers.

The kid was built for finals, he sets the tone and in a do or die final against the arch enemy. He stays.

Out: Wright, Adams, Mullet
In: Hansen, Wells, JamWow (yep)

Firitto - Thompson - Hansen
Atley - Grima - McDonald
Bastinac - Greenwood - Dal Santo
Wells - Petrie - Black
Turner - Ziebell - Thomas
Goldstein - Cunnington - Swallow
Brown Gibson Jacobs MacMillan

Full dress rehearsal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be a staggering show of faith to keep Kayne in for the first final. Utterly staggering.

Wright has been excellent since he's been in the team, save a few garbage disposals (the missed sealer against the Crows springs to mind - yuck), and Jacobs has been building steadily and comfortably.

I think both keep their spots, and Adams and Turner get dropped for the final.

So this week:

In: Wells, Hansen, MacMillan
Out: Mullett, Firrito, McDonald

Then the EF:

In: Firrito, McDonald
Out: Adams, Turner

I wouldn't say Wright has been excellent, I think he has been ok - certainly improved on recent performances in the team. He would be a touch unlucky to be dropped, as would Jacobs who is in a similar boat, neither excellent nor terrible. But there is only 22 spots and they can't all play.

Turner has been impressive, and brings the intensity we need. He may be raw/young, but his attack on the footy and man inspires those around him so for mine he must stay. I wouldn't be staggered even if a surprise going on mid year 'best 22s'.

I have no issue with Adams going out for EF, but I think the other spot will be one of Wright or Jacobs, depending on how Macmillan goes.

Last edited:
Turner has been more impressive than both of them, and brings the intensity we need. He may be raw/young, but his attack on the footy and man inspires those around him so for mine he must stay. I wouldn't be staggered as he has earned his spot.

I have no issue with Adams going out for EF, but I think the other spot will be one of Wright or Jacobs, depending on how Macmillan goes.

The only reason I say "staggering" for Kayne is that he effectively got his debut because our injury list was longer than China's wall.

I think he'd hold up in a final, but I wonder whether BS - not known for being particularly expansive or inventive with selection - would "risk" having him there. I agree that his attack and playstyle are suited for finals football, but I can see him being a scapegoat for a more experienced player for the EF.

I wouldn't say Wright has been excellent, I think he has been ok - certainly improved on recent performances in the team. He would be a touch unlucky to be dropped, as would Jacobs who is in a similar boat, neither excellent nor terrible. But there is only 22 spots and they can't all play.

Turner has been impressive, and brings the intensity we need. He may be raw/young, but his attack on the footy and man inspires those around him so for mine he must stay. I wouldn't be staggered even if a surprise going on mid year 'best 22s'.

We do need to account for Wright appearing to be assigned specific (defensive) roles and I assume Jacobs is playing to a very particular brief also.

I love the way Kayne has started but he's probably given a bit more latitude to chase the play and play with more freedom at this stage of his career.

Get him 20+ games in and I'm sure you'll see him have the odd game where he struggles with a specific role as he is more accountable for a direct opponent. Which will be fine btw, just an inevitable developmental step once he's past the honeymoon stage.

It would be a staggering show of faith to keep Kayne in for the first final. Utterly staggering. Wright has been excellent since he's been in the team, save a few garbage disposals (the missed sealer against the Crows springs to mind - yuck), and Jacobs has been building steadily and comfortably. I think both keep their spots, and Adams and Turner get dropped for the final.

Why??? He plays the Boomer role essentially, who will be missing first final, makes complete sense to play the kid, who has shown a bit, albeit will be a big test for him no doubt. Wright has been good but still has nuffy moments, as does Jacobs, would play Wright before Jacobs, who will be dropped just a matter of time.

Why??? He plays the Boomer role essentially, who will be missing first final, makes complete sense to play the kid, who has shown a bit, albeit will be a big test for him no doubt. Wright has been good but still has nuffy moments, as does Jacobs, would play Wright before Jacobs, who will be dropped just a matter of time.

See here:

The only reason I say "staggering" for Kayne is that he effectively got his debut because our injury list was longer than China's wall.

I think he'd hold up in a final, but I wonder whether BS - not known for being particularly expansive or inventive with selection - would "risk" having him there. I agree that his attack and playstyle are suited for finals football, but I can see him being a scapegoat for a more experienced player for the EF.

I also disagree that Jacobs being dropped is just a matter of time. I think he's had a very solid month, contained in a very solid block of football. Starting to fit in.

We do need to account for Wright appearing to be assigned specific (defensive) roles and I assume Jacobs is playing to a very particular brief also.

I love the way Kayne has started but he's probably given a bit more latitude to chase the play and play with more freedom at this stage of his career.

Get him 20+ games in and I'm sure you'll see him have the odd game where he struggles with a specific role as he is more accountable for a direct opponent. Which will be fine btw, just an inevitable developmental step once he's past the honeymoon stage.

Fair points but I would still go with the raw talent who provides a point of difference, plus his intensity is valuable. (as was Nahas who I also wouldn't mind coming in)

I just don't think Jacobs nor Wright offer anything different/better to what we have available in the best 22 (at this stage, that could change next year and so on), especially with Macmillan coming back in and Swallow and Zeibell finding form.

As per ^^ we can only fit so many players in especially with a much healthlier list (cross fingers) heading to finals.

No doubt Turner will face bigger challenges than what he has met so far, and will have his down games, but something suggests to me he will overtake the various fringe players of our team quickly next year.

we are going for 4 on the trot, i would like to keep the side a settled as possible. Jacobs and Wright are fitting in well and actually defend before attacking, something we lacked for years gone by. I'd like to see Wells and Hansen into last weeks side for the final. I'm a Mcmillan fan and hope he has enough minutes behind him if he plays. Finals really find out the guys who have been out for long stints. Wells is in this boat but is so crafty he could get by. Adams, Mullet Firrito (rest) Lmac (rest) will be the ones who may go out this week

I dont subscribe to the notion of "its flirting with form" if we rest players who are clearly tired. Using that theory finishing top four winning your first final and having a rest week for the whole team would be a disadvantage.
I think the 'flirting with form' relates as much to treating the opposition with contempt and resting players on the assumption of an easy win.

Fair points but I would still go with the raw talent who provides a point of difference, plus his intensity is valuable. (as was Nahas who I also wouldn't mind coming in)

I just don't think Jacobs nor Wright offer anything different/better to what we have available in the best 22 (at this stage, that could change next year and so on), especially with Macmillan coming back in and Swallow and Zeibell finding form.

As per ^^ we can only fit so many players in especially with a much healthlier list (cross fingers) heading to finals.

No doubt Turner will face bigger challenges than what he has met so far, and will have his down games, but something suggests to me he will overtake the various fringe players of our team quickly next year.

I hope you're right mate.

But I've lost count of the number of players who show heaps in their first games when there is no expectation or stifling accountability of them. Ben Brown was all the rage on debut but was made to look inept in the Brisbane game.

Structurally Kayne or Nahas give us good pressure on the opposition ball carrier. Conversely they can't match Sam Wright's ability to blanket a dangerous opposition HB, killing rebound plays before they start (eg vs Birchall).

I'm not advocating dropping Kayne btw. Really like what he brings. Just pointing out that a simpler role + rookie enthusiasm can exaggerate his value to this side somewhat.

Re Jacobs, have a feeling he's a Simpson type of player. Doesn't catch your eye with any specific weapon and you find yourself wondering why coaches keep playing them. Then before you know it they're a valuable all-rounder and a key part of holding the side together.

I would think BS would be keen to get Nahas back in.

Same. All eyes will be on Robbie on Sunday in the VFL EF. Being out for so long post a shoulder operation, and having a primary role which requires him to add forward pressure, tackling and general spark, we'll need to see him doing so without restriction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back