News Changes to Father Son/Academy Bidding

Remove this Banner Ad

NEWS FLASH. Academy and F/S drafting rules to be announced tomorrow. Apparently the sticking point is whether Wagga Wagga will be included or not.

They were waiting for WADA to appeal before announcing it then

Oh yeah forgot to report back from last weeks pre match. Tom Harley reported that all clubs had been approached for feedback, then the commission had got together and they were going to make their determination before it's final decision was distributed to the clubs.

In his words or words similar: We will be required to give up more than we have in the past for the likes of Heeney, however there we are told there will be no restrictions preventing us picking up who we want.

In his words or words similar: We will be required to give up more than we have in the past for the likes of Heeney, however there we are told there will be no restrictions preventing us picking up who we want.
I sense we will lose picks from the 2016 draft

Also, slightly terrifying that Mark Evans views the academies as follows: AFL football operations manager Mark Evans supported the academy as a way to get under-18 prospects ready to reach the elite level...

Oi Mark! You numpty. How about the ones who don't make it? What about them? They're just as important to NSW footy because they come out of it with better skills which helps the junior clubs & NEAFL competition. What about their parents who see how real coaches work and take that back to their junior clubs? Sodding hell, don't tell me this is what we have leading NSW footy now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If our clubs don't end up with an advantage I'd like to see them just walk away from the academies. The VFL, Fat Eddie, etc will look like complete f,$@wits if that happens. It would be a disaster for AFL as a national competition especially when soccer is so popular and it would be on their heads.

If our clubs don't end up with an advantage I'd like to see them just walk away from the academies. The VFL, Fat Eddie, etc will look like complete f,$@wits if that happens. It would be a disaster for AFL as a national competition especially when soccer is so popular and it would be on their heads.

Nah walking away will just give Eddie what he wants he will then say "well look Sydney isn't interested in growing the game at all"

Nah walking away will just give Eddie what he wants he will then say "well look Sydney isn't interested in growing the game at all"
Dammed if you do dammed if you don't

Exactly. Walking away would make us look like the bad guys IMO. It's not like they're taking away our first right of refusal access to the Academies, and we still get a discount.

Sorry to intrude on your board but just wanted to say I think the academy's should stay as they are these changes proposed are ridiculous. It leaves very little incentive for the clubs to choose players they've helped develop and grow.
I don't believe in having the extra cap money but that's a different argument. If the AFL is serious about continual ongoing growth and development in non traditional areas they need to stay as they are.
I know the swans do a lot of community work and programs with kids engaging them with the club and the academy helps to give nsw kids something to aim for.

I think there would need to be a time frame for the academy's but that time would have to be many many years away. Also clearly the ones In queensland are not under as much scrutiny but both those teams could do with some home grown talent. Brisbane is a great example of a team struggling with players wanting to go home.

Just wanted to let you know not all Victorian fans are oblivious to the needs of the game more broadly than their own team. Hope it's a good game on saturday

So only a few hours until we know the extent of the potential reaming at this years draft.

Looking like 20% is going to be the discount, the lost 5% will hurt a little but easing of the pain is best achieved by Mills and Dunkley slipping down the rankings. Notice the AFL website has the top 20 playewrs to watch in this years U18 Championship. Our two, plus Hopper and Kennedy for GWS and Keays for the Lions, so that's 5 northern academy prospects expected to be top 20. Shows the worth of the academies Eddie, it's called growing to pool and the game in the northern states you fat idiot.

Hopefully our two don't shine too much and are sliders come draft time, Mills to about pick 5, Dunkley to about pick 15 would be nice. Good that other clubs have academy players at the pointy end to take the focus off us a bit.

Thinking draft day could be interesting. "St.Kilda, pick 2, we nominate Mills, Sydney - we match that, St.Kilda now pick 2 has become pick 3, we nominate Hopper, GWS - we match that, St.Kilda now pick 3 has become pick 4, we nominate Billy Blogs Calder Cannons" Love to be Billy Blogs knowing you were actually St.Kilda's third choice! That's how it could actually pan out at the draft, whilst painful for us it makes for much more exciting draft TV than we've had in the past.

Dunkley should wait a year before nominating
Why the hell should he shorten his career by a year? He'd walk straight into most of the bottom 8 clubs as an inside midfielder if we're dumb enough not to want him. He's bigger than Wines.

Dunkley listed as 189cm, modern midfielder size. Don't think we can pass on him unless he ends up top 10 which would wipe out our 2016 draft. From all reports, at this stage there's no standouts amongst our 2016 academy players so getting Dunkley this year won't cost us prospects next year.

Impatient now for breaking news from the CEO conference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back