News Changes to Father Son/Academy Bidding

Remove this Banner Ad

Why the hell should he shorten his career by a year? He'd walk straight into most of the bottom 8 clubs as an inside midfielder if we're dumb enough not to want him. He's bigger than Wines.

Was a passing quip with no thought to Dunkley rather an anti AFL view

Though he probably will spend about 3 seasons racking up stats in the NEAFL

Why the hell should he shorten his career by a year? He'd walk straight into most of the bottom 8 clubs as an inside midfielder if we're dumb enough not to want him. He's bigger than Wines.

And let's face it with Mitchells sudden rise to notice in the coaches box we need another guy to rak up 50+ in the NEAFL. Give us something to chat about anyway.

I'm thinking we're going to be OK.... I feel uneasy saying that but I see Mills going at pick 4 and Dunkley at around 12 or 13, it'll hurt but it could be a lot worse.

We've got unused players who carry some (admittedly some more limited than others) value on the trade table (Jones, Hewett, Marsh, Jack and Robinson) plus a few fringe players that might be allowed to go for decent offers - Cunningham, Towers for example. We'll have a few retirees who'll open up cap space and quite possibly a couple of players who might get reduced contracts next time around - Reid and Tippett.

IMO it's all looking pretty healthy to be honest no matter what shenanigans they come up with on the academy and f/son discounts. Mills and Dunkley will cost us but we could easily trade this year so there is no carry over issues for next year without it really costing us a great deal.

AFL saying there will be an announcement "in coming weeks" about the F/S and Academy bidding system.

Also looks like the bidding will be done pre draft, obviously because they think it is too complicated to run live at the draft. I'm disappointed with that because live would help prevent/limit vindictive bidding IMO. Done behind the scenes pre draft can lead to lack of transparency and collusion.

AFL saying there will be an announcement "in coming weeks" about the F/S and Academy bidding system.

Also looks like the bidding will be done pre draft, obviously because they think it is too complicated to run live at the draft. I'm disappointed with that because live would help prevent/limit vindictive bidding IMO. Done behind the scenes pre draft can lead to lack of transparency and collusion.

Agreed there!!!!

I think it should be live so any cellar dwelling VFL clubs cant be vindictive.

Then again, you only need to do it once, (GWS could, if they finish mid-table) just let Cartlon take Hopper with pick4 when he is worth pick 5-10.

Pies tried to do it to the bulldogs last year... nah dont pick Darcy Moore, we wouldnt until 2nd round. Bulldogs were legit like f-that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Tweet from Andrew Pridham today which confirms my belief that we'll just continue to explore alternative recruiting avenues. Still disagree with the changes though.

Tweet from Andrew Pridham today which confirms my belief that we'll just continue to explore alternative recruiting avenues. Still disagree with the changes though.

I do get frustrated when i read other social media sites where a lot of individuals are getting stuck into the club for rolling over or not "fighting" the changes.

What choice do we have? any negative reaction by us will make us look like the bad guys here.

Any talk of withdrawing from the academies/pulling support and generally throwing tantrums will justify those with a agenda "well Sydney is not about developing or growing the game at all they just want free bargains"

They don't care how much it costs us as you can see there was no compensation for that i thought the original 25% discount proposed back in January was to acknowledge the investment we put it but it was knocked back.

TLDR we will adapt and pull through fine and develop a team that will be envy of other clubs.

I do get frustrated when i read other social media sites where a lot of individuals are getting stuck into the club for rolling over or not "fighting" the changes.

What choice do we have? any negative reaction by us will make us look like the bad guys here.

Any talk of withdrawing from the academies/pulling support and generally throwing tantrums will justify those with a agenda "well Sydney is not about developing or growing the game at all they just want free bargains"

They don't care how much it costs us as you can see there was no compensation for that i thought the original 25% discount proposed back in January was to acknowledge the investment we put it but it was knocked back.

TLDR we will adapt and pull through fine and develop a team that will be envy of other clubs.
This pretty much. Prindham is correct that given the current climate of the AFL we need to suck up these changes. It's not like they pulling Academies all together, nor are they bringing back zoning (yet....)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back