Unofficial Preview Changes V Carlton (Reid, Blair, Sinkers & Marsh in, four omitted or rested, see OP for team)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reid as a froward and Marsh have to come in for mine, not sure who else deserves a call up maybe Blair, or Karnezis for one last crack at it

Seedsman, Dwyer, Toovey could all be dropped back

No Cloke or Goldsack it seems;

@JDESTOOP80_FOX: Travis Cloke and Tyson Goldsack only walking laps at this stage at collingwoodfc training @FOXSportsNews

Playing two ruckmen has NEVER worked for Collingwood in the past six years. I have no idea why it's being persisted with now. Grundy, despite being shorter than Witts, is a much more competitive player and can at the very least limit the effectiveness of the opposition ruckman's taps. Witts is just a slow, lumbering lump who gets knocked off balance far too easily. There is nothing that he can't learn from playing VFL football instead of AFL.

Grundy is the better option going forward. He always looks better when he plays as the lone ruck because he needs to follow the ball to get involved. He gets lost playing forward because he doesn't know how to put himself in dangerous positions.

That's a pretty broad collective and totally discounts the 2nd ruck - 3rd KPF options like Brown, White, Lynch etc.

Grundy projects as the better ruckman long term but neither he or Witts provided the sort of game you'd like Saturday but if anything Witts shaded Grundy for effectiveness.

So a best on ground performance 13 weeks ago is a good enough reason to select him now? Okay. Bring back Mark McGough then, he must be best 22 if the only pre-req is an ANZAC day medal.

He wasn't saying it is justification for his current selection, he was saying that performance is what gives supporters optimism that he'll be a player. His form has been poor since that game and I don't think he should have been promoted back into the seniors but that doesn't mean the kid lacks talent.

Do we give him a contract extension end of year, or do we delist him?

I'd reckon that's the bigger question being asked of him at the moment.

Extension but I don't think he should be looking toward a 4-5 year deal. Not sure the body is right. Would also be vulnerable to a trade if someone comes knocking.

Trade him if he's still got value, If not and its a shallow draft demote him to the rookie list.

Getting crowded on the rookie list in 2016.

Can't do that on two counts; the other Blair is only on the VFL list and we can't bring in 5 players after only dropping 4:p

Blair Squared = 1 Centre Half Forward. Although the rules do state the unlisted player has to be the bottom half and unsighted.

image.aspx

16 touches in the forward line. While we've still got a chance to make finals, we still need to play out best team. As it is, we've got heaps of kids in.

The number of disposals shows the offensive aspects of Dwyer's game were good but he was very ordinary defensively. While he's not renowned for his defensive game and has yet to crack the 50 games, he was one of the older more experienced players and we need more from them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given Cloke and Goldsack appear unlikely...

OUT: Dwyer, Seedsman, De Goey
IN: Marsh, Karnezis, Sinclair/Kennedy

does it not occur to you that he got smashed today by a guy that is the same age? or doesn't that figure into your context. a lot of people of here have called for him to be dropped previously so I don't think he is as great as you think.

Witts is 9 months younger than Gawn. Compare Witts this year to Gawn last year (http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3701&tid2=12&pid2=3346&type=A&fid1=O&fid2=O) and they are pretty similar. Witts ahead in hitouts & tackles, Gawn ahead in marks.

Add that I think Witts has failed to improve on last year (& in areas like marks has gone backwards). I’m not opposed to him being dropped this year but anyone thinking he should be traded (not directed at you) needs to appreciate Witts had interrupted preseason with shoulder surgery (hint hint as to why marking gone backward), didn’t play round 1 as still injured, then spent 4 weeks in the VFL. If he can get a decent preseason going into 2016 I’d hope he can be better than Gawn this year / generally have a breakout year. Trade him this year and it’s likely at less than his worth. Another year and we have a better idea of where Cox is at too.

As for changes this week - I'd like to see Marsh get a chance, he's earned it. Beyond that I'm not real fussed as don't believe we can make finals so it's just development of players now. Not entirely opposed to Young in for Seedsman (like for like), mainly as I'm unsure whether Dwyer or Young joins JT & LK as our outs in list changes for the year.

Yep if it is true cloke will be out then definitely witts and de goey out for reid and white.

My chosen selections:

In: reid, white, sinclair, marsh, karnezis

Out: Maynard, witts, De Goey, Frost, Karnezis

Goldy if fit gets in over karnezis.

This might sound strange but i feel for seedsman. He has literally been in and out for 2 months.

I reckon either drop him to the 2s and force him to play consistently for a month before ge earns selection, or play him in the 1s consistently. I think he needs to put 3 games together in the 2s and be brimming with confidence.
Karnezis will be excited to get another chance...only to be dropped 10 seconds later...
Footy is a fickled game.

Off the back of what I saw yesterday and now the stats backing it up;

In: Karnezis (reward form), Marsh (reward for insane form), Reid (just to get him to that father/son 100 games), White (cause we need forwards)
Out: Seedsman, Maynard, Witts, Langdon (sore knee)

In: Marsh, Marsh, Marsh, MARSH!!!! If he doesn't come in this week, with our situation, and with his extended run of form, then I don't know what else he has to do.
Play the kids. Leave Maynard in, along with Moore and De Goey. Give Karnezis a run - absolutely zero point to leaving him in the 2's -, and play Marsh. These are the guys who are the next string of regulars, so lets give them an extended taste of what's required.

I would really like to see a forward line of Reid, White and Moore.
Throw in Elliott and Fasolo with a resting Swan and it look's like it could be dangerous.

But after White spudding it up in the reserves and Reid probably pulling the pin on Friday arvo and says he doesn't feel right.

We'll only kick 10 goals and lose the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back