Changes v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Valid points but we were surprised that Justin and Robbie missed.
Speak for yourself. Westy's never been a great set shot, but is generally horrible in front of goals in the clutch. Gray's generally just an average set shot.

Westhoff has struggled with set shots at key moments in his career for years. The Gold Coast one is the most famous but there have been plenty of them. If it's late in a game and we desperately need a goal, he'd be the last person in the team i'd want taking a mark 35m out. It's something he needs to fix.

Westhoff has struggled with set shots at key moments in his career for years. The Gold Coast one is the most famous but there have been plenty of them. If it's late in a game and we desperately need a goal, he'd be the last person in the team i'd want taking a mark 35m out. It's something he needs to fix.

Can't click the clutch goals, even when he went back to take the kick his body language looked totally uncertain.

Certainly can take the game-saving mark in defense though.

Can't click the clutch goals, even when he went back to take the kick his body language looked totally uncertain.

Certainly can take the game-saving mark in defense though.

Yeah it's funny because he's comfortably the most likely player in the side to take a clutch mark.

If it's late in the game and we need a goal he should take it then go down holding his knee.

Gee, all this talk about Westhoff and clutch goals ... the guy has saved us from defeat on numerous occasions.
He cant do everything perfectly at 199cm.
He has slotted almost 200 goals at 63% and most would have been set shots. Westy is a champion player who occasionally doesn't slot a set shot.
Give me a break!

Let's not judge Hinkley too early. The guy took us from being a rabble to one of the best with a great free flowing style. We have things we need to work on but that will come with time. We are the third youngest list. Contrast our older players vs say Geelong's, Hawthorn's or Sydney's and you can see they are totally different. They are the stand up in a tight moment sort, ours aren't. That's ok, it will come, just a point of difference.

Also, whilst I agree a third tall is a great idea, it is obvious that Hinkley backed his midfield in to get the job done as they had the past 10+ games. He backed the run and carry of our players and extra midfield depth a small forward can give. Unfortunately it coincided with a horrible run of form from key players and a loss of confidence. Had our midfield performed we would only have lost against Sydney and we would be singing his praises. Sadly it didn't.

Give him time to work his magic again.

Gee, all this talk about Westhoff and clutch goals ... the guy has saved us from defeat on numerous occasions.
He cant do everything perfectly at 199cm.
He has slotted almost 200 goals at 63% and most would have been set shots. Westy is a champion player who occasionally doesn't slot a set shot.
Give me a break!

Right and most of the times that he misses set shots are in key situations, to the point where the people I sit with were expecting him to miss that goal in the last quarter, despite him being 25m out straight in front. It's not a secret and it's something he really needs to fix. Other than that, when he's on and being used in the right role, he's among our most damaging players.

Right and most of the times that he misses set shots are in key situations, to the point where the people I sit with were expecting him to miss that goal in the last quarter, despite him being 25m out straight in front. It's not a secret and it's something he really needs to fix. Other than that, when he's on and being used in the right role, he's among our most damaging players.

I previously had Westhoff as no better or worse than the mean, but that miss on the weekend tipped him onto the wrong side of my ledger.

He really does need to kick those sort of goals. Thank God he can still clunk a match saving mark though.

Not really eager to see Monfries back in the team because before he was injured his form was terrible and I even said after the Essendon game that he should be dropped.

Hopefully when he comes back in after a rest he regains some form.

Not really eager to see Monfries back in the team because before he was injured his form was terrible and I even said after the Essendon game that he should be dropped.

I have my doubts he ever properly recovered from his earlier injury against North. Until that point he'd been in good form, since then average to poor.

Monfries should have to earn his spot back through the maggies. His form wasn't good enough to warrant immediate selection.

(For some reason it doesn't feel right to use the terms immediate or campaigner in their normal context anymore).

I will go with Gus carried an injury and has now had a month to get it right for the run home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I knew he was going to miss as soon as I saw the ball drop.

Monfries is coming in; gold pass
For what it's worth...I'd bring in Bobby & Monfries for Dom & Stewart.
We can't drop Newton.
He did more in one quarter than half the side did for the game. We need to reward his Sanfl form & I like his disposal.
More than any changes we make, I hope they all make the most of this bye as we did last year.
So many of our players look flat. We are still a young team & it's showing more & more as the season goes on.
Oh...and fix the footwear problem.
We are still falling over far too much! Long studs work a treat, even if they're not as comfortable!

Think you will find he was carrying an injury that and the previous week. Only explanation for what he was doing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back