Preview Changes v Geelong (Round 23)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freeman has had a taste of senior Football, hes kicked a few goals but desperately needs to work on his fitness and his work, I'd play him but only because it is the last game and because...

... Close looked like he really needed a rest. I've been impressed with Close, his willingness is impressive, and although he hasn't kicked a bag he has shouldered the load of being a big physical presence since coming in, I would rest him and bring in...

...Leuey might as well have a go. See how he and Stef share the load because the drop off from Steff rucking to Sauce rucking is just too great.

I didn't think Harwood's last game was as bad as most. I'd keep him in, i thought some of his defensive marking was great. i think the problem with Harwood is that he sometimes has more ambition than skill. It creates clangers, but for a player who I thought would be out the door a while ago, he continues to surprise me with what he can achieve.

Interestingly the Giants can recruit guys specifically for their NEAFL team.

Wasn't Reid delisted last year but put on some sort coaching contract at the Giants? (Which I think anyone over the age of 25 at the Giants is on some sort of coaching contract)

Wasn't Reid delisted last year but put on some sort coaching contract at the Giants? (Which I think anyone over the age of 25 at the Giants is on some sort of coaching contract)

Yep.

The 23 year-old midfielder was delisted at the end of the 2013 season after a bad run with injuries. He played 24 AFL matches after making his debut in 2008.
As part of his role, Reid will continue playing for the UWS GIANTS in the NEAFL in 2014, taking on an on-field leadership position alongside the young GIANTS.

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/football/giants-coaching-staff/sam-reid

We were talking about Harwood, a back man. It's not ideal but it's not a barrier to premiership success. He just has to play it safe and stop screwing up the safe kicks.
From memory Mitchell wasn't alway a reliable kick, but is bloody good now on both feet. I think the worry with Harwood is, as you say, he tends to stuff up the easy kicks - they're not even kicks under pressure a lot of the time. Admittedly against Freo the pressure is as much imagined as real. Harwood will need major improvement but at the moment, given where we stand as a team, he is good enough.

I'm probably about to cause a bit of controversy for what I'm about to say. I think a lot of people on this board (like myself) want finals more than anything, but I need to remind myself sometimes that the ultimate goal in AFL is to win a premiership. That is why I think although they have shown great signs, players like Crisp, Harwood and Golby (maybe even Lester) will not be in our future premiership team (if we make it). As most coaches say 'if you cant kick, you cant play,' so can you really imagine them being in the midfield/halfback of a premiership team? I know that I'd rather Rich and Cutler driving the ball from half back who both have elite kicking skills. Just look at Hawthorn and Sydney who have the likes of Malceski, Mitchell and Hodge kicking it out of the back half, that's what premiership teams are made of. It is very difficult to alter a kicking style when they've had it for 15 years. Most people will probably disagree with me but I'm entitled to my opinion.

I'm ok with playing them at the moment if their is no better option though and I don't want to be raged at for this, I'm just stating my opinion

No need to apologise for stating your opinion.......in my opinion.

...Leuey might as well have a go. See how he and Stef share the load because the drop off from Steff rucking to Sauce rucking is just too great.

If Leuey doesnt play I find that interesting why put him through rounds of the NEAFL and then not play him. Unless you are putting him in cotton wool and then I put a lot more credence in the potential trade stories. Well some of them.

If Leuey doesnt play I find that interesting why put him through rounds of the NEAFL and then not play him. Unless you are putting him in cotton wool and then I put a lot more credence in the potential trade stories. Well some of them.

What are you going to do with a footballer who has recovered from his injuries? Just sit him on the sideline for the last 4-5 rounds and not let him play any football? Doubt that would happen. If he hadn't had that small toe issue we may have seen him play the last 2 games at least but I'd imagine that set him back slightly. If a guy is medically cleared to play its better having him play some football rather than just sit there doing nothing.

I pulled up well after a solid hit out in front of the television last night. I have been doing a fair bit of cross training to work on aspects of my game that need improving. I have spent a fair bit of time working on my upper body by opening and closing the fridge door and putting the kettle on. Fair to say I have bulked up quite a bit. Ate 1/2 a Family Sized block of Cadbury's Snack last night for dessert after a big feed of Fish and Chips. I should be cherry ripe for the match against Geelong this weekend. Seriously think I will be pushing for selection.

Speaking of Cherry Ripes, I think they have them in the vending machine here at work. Later people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I pulled up well after a solid hit out in front of the television last night. I have been doing a fair bit of cross training to work on aspects of my game that need improving. I have spent a fair bit of time working on my upper body by opening and closing the fridge door and putting the kettle on. Fair to say I have bulked up quite a bit. Ate 1/2 a Family Sized block of Cadbury's Snack last night for dessert after a big feed of Fish and Chips. I should be cherry ripe for the match against Geelong this weekend. Seriously think I will be pushing for selection.

Speaking of Cherry Ripes, I think they have them in the vending machine here at work. Later people.
Usually finish my workouts with a Kit Kat - large!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back