Changes V Melbourne Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh I agree with Paps for beams as the only change.

Not sure this week is going to be a walk in the park against Melbs though. Nearly knocked off Port in Adelaide and for some strange reasons (probably due to expected crowd number) it seems to be played at our cursed ground. Etihad.

If your kicking is precise and your handballs well executed, you can pick the Dees apart.

Unfortunately, we are the other type, that just bangs the ball long and hopes 50% of the time. So we'll keep them in the game :D

Yeh I agree with Paps for beams as the only change.

Not sure this week is going to be a walk in the park against Melbs though. Nearly knocked off Port in Adelaide and for some strange reasons (probably due to expected crowd number) it seems to be played at our cursed ground. Etihad.

Its more of a cursed ground for Melbourne than us. They havent won there for 7 or 8 years I believe

Unfortunately consistency is our enemy.
Does the 54 point win give them confidence or over-confidence?

I was surprised to see Paps dropped and Beams played, TBH.
Not sure Lisle deserves another go nor that he'll get one. A bit like Ace, can turn it on at NEAFL level, but lacks confidence and aggression at senior level.

In: Paparone, Lisle

Out: Beams, Merrett

A big game in Melbourne this week and I we can't afford to continue to carry Merrett. In his last two games, playing as our key forward, he has only managed 6 marks and 9 kicks for a return of 1 goal. It is also worth noting that this season he has only managed 7 goals from 14 games. Time for Leppitsch to show some courage at the selection table. All year people have justified Leppitsch's selection policies by suggesting that he is not going to put senior games into players who are not going to be part of the next successful period at the club, well at 29 years of age and given his current form, it is time to accept that Merrett falls into that category.

At 24 years of age Jordan Lisle has more to offer in the medium to long term and while there are no shortage of people who are prepared to question his ability at the top level, he would have to be a better option at full forward than Merrett.

In: Paparone, Lisle

Out: Beams, Merrett

A big game in Melbourne this week and I we can't afford to continue to carry Merrett. In his last two games, playing as our key forward, he has only managed 6 marks and 9 kicks for a return of 1 goal. It is also worth noting that this season he has only managed 7 goals from 14 games. Time for Leppitsch to show some courage at the selection table. All year people have justified Leppitsch's selection policies by suggesting that he is not going to put senior games into players who are not going to be part of the next successful period at the club, well at 29 years of age and given his current form, it is time to accept that Merrett falls into that category.

At 24 years of age Jordan Lisle has more to offer in the medium to long term and while there are no shortage of people who are prepared to question his ability at the top level, he would have to be a better option at full forward than Merrett.

I don't think Lisle has anything to offer at senior AFL level :thumbsdown:

Merrett creates contests for other players to benefit from, Lisle would avoid the same contests. Being played out of position for most of the season; I think Dan is doing what's best for his teammates and you can't ask for much more than that.

Merrett gets to the ball and provides a contest better than Lisle can.

No matter which of the terrible options we pick to play key forward, the small forwards are always going to be our biggest threat, so the number one criteria is probably who is least likely to be marked against.

I also don't agree that Lisle and Merrett are competing for the same spot. If anything, I think Lisle is in line behind Close, who at 19 I think is a far better prospect than Lisle. Close will improve his hands and set-shot kicking, and he'll put on some size. One thing he does have already is healthy aggression /attitude. Lisle doesn't, and it seems like a difficult thing to develop if you don't innately have it.

I am confident that Merrett's #1 KPI each week is bringing the ball to ground. He has better weeks and worse weeks, but I still think he's our only real option for that role right now.

Merrett gets to the ball and provides a contest better than Lisle can.

No matter which of the terrible options we pick to play key forward, the small forwards are always going to be our biggest threat, so the number one criteria is probably who is least likely to be marked against.

Yeah, this is fundamentally where we are at. No-one on our list is capable of playing as an A grade key forward in the next two years. So it becomes about getting guys in who can perform a role in the structure. That role is to compete hard in the air and not be a liability when the opposition has the footy. That doesn't sound like Lisle - happy to be proven wrong but I reckon that, if he's got a role in this side, it is more likely to be Close's, which is less about the physical contest and more about movement. And, right now, Close is doing enough to perservere with.

I think Merrett going into the ruck more over the last couple of weeks is a sign that he is going to be the cannon fodder forward, rather than the primary avenue to goal. I like that move - I think it plays better to Merrett's strengths.

I also think Merrett's last two games would have looked more solid had he been kicking straight. He probably should have had a couple of goals on the weekend which would have made it a reasonable game.

Agree with POBT, if Lisle came in it would have to be at the expense of Close. We have 1 marking type forward, and 1 big unit who simply crashes packs and brings ball to ground. Merrett is doing this, Lisle does not.

I would not be against Lisle getting another game, but it has to be after a couple more weeks, and he gets 1 shot to prove he can be a presence up forward.

Agree with POBT, if Lisle came in it would have to be at the expense of Close. We have 1 marking type forward, and 1 big unit who simply crashes packs and brings ball to ground. Merrett is doing this, Lisle does not.

I would not be against Lisle getting another game, but it has to be after a couple more weeks, and he gets 1 shot to prove he can be a presence up forward.

I'm not opposed to it either, but it has to be because he is genuinely the best option, not because he should get one last chance.

Close's body is being put through quite a bit right now. There's a good chance he'll need a spell at some point.

Then there's the reality that we'll want to get Leuey on the park for a couple of games at some point, and that changes the dynamic again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, this is fundamentally where we are at. No-one on our list is capable of playing as an A grade key forward in the next two years. So it becomes about getting guys in who can perform a role in the structure. That role is to compete hard in the air and not be a liability when the opposition has the footy. That doesn't sound like Lisle - happy to be proven wrong but I reckon that, if he's got a role in this side, it is more likely to be Close's, which is less about the physical contest and more about movement. And, right now, Close is doing enough to perservere with.

I think Merrett going into the ruck more over the last couple of weeks is a sign that he is going to be the cannon fodder forward, rather than the primary avenue to goal. I like that move - I think it plays better to Merrett's strengths.

I also think Merrett's last two games would have looked more solid had he been kicking straight. He probably should have had a couple of goals on the weekend which would have made it a reasonable game.

But he's not kicking straight and hasn't all season. It's now at the point that I'd rather he dropped the mark and left it to others. You can play the 'shoulda' game after a rare miss, not now that we have a large sample size of inaccuracy.

I actually thought he was OK on the weekend. He put the ball to ground and cleared some room for the smalls to run into, but his yips are at the point that it hurts me to watch him line up for goal - and it can't be morale boosting stuff for the team watching him spray bunnies.

It seems I am contractually obliged to say that he seems a great bloke and a great clubman. However this isn't a character assassination, Sauce just isn't best 22 right now with his kicking is concerned, which given he's a key forward is like being a secretary that can't type.

Leppa wants to get some games into kids, well we paid for Lisle and Paine, let's give one or both an extended run and see how they go. (I am one of the rare types who thought Lisle showed something last year.)

I'm a bit skeptical that Gardiner will be right to play. I watched the game again last night (as if you wouldn't) and saw that late in the 4th he was making a contest on the commentator side of the ground and kind of winced and favoured his left shoulder as he tried to make a contest above his head, then was very reluctant to move it afterward.

Hope he pulls up alright o_O

It is counter-intuitive but I really don't think Merrett is playing forward as a goal kicker. As weird as it sounds, I suspect "goals kicked" is a long way down his KPIs. Hence, he could potentially be playing his role well and still miss his set shots.

It is counter-intuitive but I really don't think Merrett is playing forward as a goal kicker. As weird as it sounds, I suspect "goals kicked" is a long way down his KPIs. Hence, he could potentially be playing his role well and still miss his set shots.
Well there you go, this is where the modern game has left me behind. So we now have a full forward at Brisbane who does not have kicking goals as one of his main objectives. This revolutionary approach to the game hasn't caught on at other clubs, which leaves me wondering why?

Here is the current goal kicking ladder and with one or two notable exceptions, successful teams have full forwards who kick goals.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_goal_kickers

I think we need to get on board with this idea and try to select someone as our full forward who may be able to actually kick goals.

I have never seen so many people reinventing the logic of the game in order to justify the selection of an out of form player since the days of Sam Sheldon. ;)

Well there you go, this is where the modern game has left me behind. So we now have a full forward at Brisbane who does not have kicking goals as one of his main objectives. This revolutionary approach to the game hasn't caught on at other clubs, which leaves me wondering why?

The list we have, is the list we have.

Here is the current goal kicking ladder and with one or two notable exceptions, successful teams have full forwards who kick goals.

I think that's probably oversimplifying. Good teams have good game plans which fit with their lists that usually include good players in most or all positions. We'd clearly love a dominant KPF, but I don't think Lisle is that. He's had a long time in the AFL system and has never really done enough to keep a spot, including at the Lions where we've been desperate for a KPF. Merrett at least brings our strength (small forwards) into play. They are kicking quite a few.

It would give everybody a lot more faith, fans, his fellow players, coaching staff, if he put a couple of those through rather than spraying them all over the place. I do get what you are saying, but he needs to take his chances when he does create them.

I think we need to get on board with this idea and try to select someone as our full forward who may be able to actually kick goals.

I have never seen so many people reinventing the logic of the game in order to justify the selection of an out of form player since the days of Sam Sheldon. ;)
Pretty ordinary 3KZ. You can have the conversation about this without being a w***er.

What I see when I look down that list is a bunch of high quality, experienced, proven forwards. That would be the case right up until at least Josh Jenkins.

As in, Lisle is none of these players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back