Changes V Melbourne Round 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lisle should be selected because I look forward to watching a hulking big forward get knocked off the ball by a player kilos lighter and a head smaller.

You prefer stand next to your opponent Merrett. How many goals does he have for the year, 7 maybe?

Lisle needs a chance without Browny taking up his space, his kicking goals in the two's what more can he do to get a game.

Poor Merrett doesn't know what he is now. He definitely isn't a forward.

Agreed. He's not a forward. He's someone who brings the ball down for Green and Zorko. Lisle is someone who gets pushed out of the way to allow a defensive mark.

Merrett doesnt kick a lot of goals, but he creates, and his opponent just doesnt get the ball. Im yet to think of 1 time where Merrett is clearly out pointed and his opponent takes a mark. Ball gets kicked to Rog, ball goes to ground and stays inside our forward 50.

You prefer stand next to your opponent Merrett. How many goals does he have for the year, 7 maybe?

Lisle needs a chance without Browny taking up his space, his kicking goals in the two's what more can he do to get a game.

I know that Rog has issues, goodness me I know. I have no doubt that some of you watching on TV wondering why Jed was kicking to space on Saturday night. Poor old Rog fooled him by starting to lead and then turning like he thought the player on him was a forward!!!! No doubt some of you where howling with rage at Jed on the game day thread while watching without being able to see what Rog was doing in the forward Line but that is IMO hardly the point to his selection.....

Young Lisle is unfortunately not hard edged enough IMO. I admit to not watching the ressies as much as I once have but over the last few seasons Lisle has had his moments in the NEAFL when I have actually got to the games. By moments I mean being knocked off the ball by a player kilos lighter and a head smaller.

IMO you have got this wrong anyway. With a fit McGuane or Staker he would be back IMO. Close, the player who is a skinny 19 year old and is not knocked off the ball by players kilos lighter and heads smaller is being given the deserved game time with a player, who for all his faults is also not knocked off the ball by a players kilos lighter and a heads smaller and with that in mind can at least hold his feet and get the ball to the ground.

Last edited:
Agreed. He's not a forward. He's someone who brings the ball down for Green and Zorko. Lisle is someone who gets pushed out of the way to allow a defensive mark.
Merrett doesnt kick a lot of goals, but he creates, and his opponent just doesnt get the ball. Im yet to think of 1 time where Merrett is clearly out pointed and his opponent takes a mark. Ball gets kicked to Rog, ball goes to ground and stays inside our forward 50.

What these 2 said a bit better than me.

If you don't have someone to play the desired role, you have to look at your stocks and choose another role that can be filled.
Surely that isn't that hard to see.
Haven't seen one name thrown up that can take the best defender effectively and provide a strong contest.
Lisle is done, IMO.
"Give him a go"? How many more? Flogging a dead horse there.

Drafted in a different era. Drafted in a different era. Not a KPF, so wouldn't replace Merrett. Originally drafted at pick 12.

None of those guys really argue against that you either need a high pick or some sort of concession to get that KPF in the modern era.
Breust? When did Port Adelaide draft Schulz? Surely that was "The Modern Era."

The thing with stats is that they reveal everything.

Jordan Lisle:

16 Goals in 27 Games

Jackson Paine:

3 Goals in 11 Games

Apart from J. Brown, there ends the available forwards for the Lions for most of this season.

When Merrett was forward last year: 14 goals in 8 games.
Very selective / disingenuous quoting of Merrett's statistics. Never mind last year, what about this year - Merrett 7 goals in 14 games.

If you don't have someone to play the desired role, you have to look at your stocks and choose another role that can be filled.
Surely that isn't that hard to see.
Haven't seen one name thrown up that can take the best defender effectively and provide a strong contest.
Lisle is done, IMO.
"Give him a go"? How many more? Flogging a dead horse there.
Aren't we doing that each week when we select Merrett at full forward?

Aren't we doing that each week when we select Merrett at full forward?
No.
We don't have the forward we would like, so we are using the next most effective weapon, a player who has the physical presence.... I'm sure this has been covered.

Breust is a medium/small forward.
Great player, but not relevant to the discussion.
How many of his goals have come from contested marks inside 50? Plenty. He is currently ranked 18th for marks inside 50 in the competition. I think someone who can consistently mark the ball inside 50 and score goals is very relevant. Isn't that what we are hoping Merrett can do when he is not missing the mark, but still bringing the ball to the ground, which some people rate more highly than the former. Bruest is also third in the competition for goal assists.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No.

We don't have the forward we would like, so we are using the next most effective weapon, a player who has the physical presence.... I'm sure this has been covered.

I know goose hasn't played a lot forward but maybe we should send him forward.

I know goose hasn't played a lot forward but maybe we should send him forward.
Maybe. But Goose is also the better fullback ATM. Robbing Peter to pay Paul. I don't think Goose would offer the same, forward. Not quite the same strength leap or size. Whoever plays up forward also has to play second ruck. I've seen Goose ruck, it aint pretty.

Very selective / disingenuous quoting of Merrett's statistics. Never mind last year, what about this year - Merrett 7 goals in 14 games.

Sure, but that's what he's capable of. I listed Lisle and Paine's entire careers and neither of them have shown anywhere near that return.

Jackson is still young, so it's possible he might get better, but if he goes into the team, Close gets their best defender.

Lisle just isn't an option for the various reasons discussed, and evidently that the coaching panel also believe.

If we had great KPFs, this wouldn't even be a discussion ... but we just don't.

Maybe. But Goose is also the better fullback ATM. Robbing Peter to pay Paul. I don't think Goose would offer the same, forward. Not quite the same strength leap or size. Whoever plays up forward also has to play second ruck. I've seen Goose ruck, it aint pretty.

Agreed. I was trying to make a point but made myself look silly in the process.

When (if) Luenburger is fit would he be an option to come in for Merrett. Than Martin and Luey share ruck and forward duties evenly. Luey has a lighter load than maybe his body can keep intact for a game or two.

Then we have one of Martin or Luey doing this so called 'crashing packs' and bringing the ball to ground for the mozzies to eat up.

How many of his goals have come from contested marks inside 50? Plenty. He is currently ranked 18th for marks inside 50 in the competition. I think someone who can consistently mark the ball inside 50 and score goals is very relevant. Isn't that what we are hoping Merrett can do when he is not missing the mark, but still bringing the ball to the ground, which some people rate more highly than the former. Bruest is also third in the competition for goal assists.
Actually breust has six contested marks for the year. Merrett has eleven.

Agreed. I was trying to make a point but made myself look silly in the process.

When (if) Luenburger is fit would he be an option to come in for Merrett. Than Martin and Luey share ruck and forward duties evenly. Luey has a lighter load than maybe his body can keep intact for a game or two.

Then we have one of Martin or Luey doing this so called 'crashing packs' and bringing the ball to ground for the mozzies to eat up.
I don't think so. As underperforming Merrett is in the role we would prefer, we are better with him there than not. I think we'll fit Leuey into the forward line when he's ready, but it won't be at the expense of Merrett.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back