Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
New week, new game.

As we roll around this week, the Suns find themselves in a very rare situation, able to possible win 2 in a row with Melbourne this week, and then GWS next.

If we play like how we have over the past month, we're in with a real chance this week at the MCG. Especially if Jamar doesn't get up for the Dees.

Rischitelli & Day to come back in this week you would think.

Hunt a decent chance to go considering his poor record. Probably might get a few activation points to carry him over. A week off wouldn't do him any harm, either.

Iles, A.Hall and Horsley all chances to have a senior run after consistent showings in the 2s.

I would go maybe something like...

Out: Weller (omit), Russell (back/inj), Hunt(suspended), May(omit)
In: Horsley, Iles, Rischitelli, Day

I realize I'm going to get crucified by some to have May out, but I still think Dixon is the better prospect than May down back. Dixon looks much stronger down in defence where he can take his contested mark, and with Day slotting back in at FF, Dixon will be moved back down there at the expense of either May or Warnock. Warnock obviously won't get the boot, especially as he has a chance to get a scalp on his old team!

If they opt to have Day run around in the 2s first, then see no harm in leaving Dixon forward and May back into the side.

Swallow in some doubt. It was his other leg that was badly corked. Hope he can get up!

Iles, A.Hall and Horsley all chances to have a senior run after consistent showings in the 2s.

I would go maybe something like...

Out: Weller (omit), Russell (back/inj), Hunt(suspended), May(omit)
In: Horsley, Iles, Rischitelli, Day

I realize I'm going to get crucified by some to have May out,

drop brennan, include may..:p

Day back in. With Clark out for the season, I can't really think of any tall forwards for Melbourne, so Warnock, May, option of Dicko down back. I dunno. I liked the role he played on the weekend, bit up forward, bit in the ruck, bit down back. Maybe May out (didn't set the world on fire) and chuck Dixon back there.

Also, Jeremy Taylor back in on the half back line to play on Green. Reckon he'd be an alright match-up. Rischa back, pray to god for Iles.

Starting to get genuinely concerned about this round. Not so much for this game, but if GWS beat Port, which is possible given Port's recent form, then we're back to last position!

We simply must win one of the two games in the next fortnight. They're our last chances to really secure 17th spot, and not be at risk for the spoon. Winning both would be nice! Melbourne look so down and low on confidence. My only worry is that we'll just 'rock up' like we did against GWS and not come to play, and then get belted V the Dees.

We bring the same effort we did against the Tigers, Brisbane and others, we're a chance to win.

Big thing I want to see out of the side is some mature bodies and some hard runners.....a guy like Patrick could light it up if he puts himself in the right position.

If we can contain their mediocre attack and win the middle I think we're a chance, but you never know what the bottom of the ladder teams like Port, Brisbane or Melbourne are capable of when they play their hardest just to not give it up against some kids.

I want to see the same lineup we've had the last 3 weeks with really no changes.....If we're 70pts off Sydney when they need to flog us by 100 to secure the top 4, then I think we're withing 2 goals of the Dees.

Big thing I want to see out of the side is some mature bodies and some hard runners.....a guy like Patrick could light it up if he puts himself in the right position.

If we can contain their mediocre attack and win the middle I think we're a chance, but you never know what the bottom of the ladder teams like Port, Brisbane or Melbourne are capable of when they play their hardest just to not give it up against some kids.

I want to see the same lineup we've had the last 3 weeks with really no changes.....If we're 70pts off Sydney when they need to flog us by 100 to secure the top 4, then I think we're withing 2 goals of the Dees.

i agree. the boys are doing well actually. no need for wholesale changes. i think they will be too fast for the dees. the dees must be the slowest team in the comp. i actually like the dees as a club, but they arent much chop on the field ATM.

Had a chat to Mike Whiting through Twitter. He thinks there is a definite chance that Swallow could miss this week. The club is starting to become concerned with the amount of injuries that he's picking up.

Subbed out with a cork last week, had a cork in the other leg the week prior. The Coaches might opt to just rest him, or play him for a bit in the NEAFL. Save him for the GWS game next week. The far more winnable game.

What do you think of using Swallow as the sub? I know Patrick is ideal in this role, but with Melbourne's mediocre attack he won't be caught out defensively. The injection of a quality mid late in the game might be the gamechanger.

What do you think of using Swallow as the sub? I know Patrick is ideal in this role, but with Melbourne's mediocre attack he won't be caught out defensively. The injection of a quality mid late in the game might be the gamechanger.

Could be an option, though I must admit, the consecutive injuries are becoming slightly concerning.

To recap:
  • Hurt his hip badly early in the season. Round 5.
  • Injured ankle in round 6 against Freo. Played the game out with injections and taping. Still had padding on his hip.
  • Did his knee/MCL in round 7. Gone until round 16.
  • His first game back against the Tigers in round 16 he scrapes through in.
  • Round 17 against the Lions he badly corks his left leg. Plays the game out despite limping.
  • Gets up for round 18 fine, but badly corks the OTHER leg. Bad enough that he needed to be subbed out of the game.
He just can't get a continued run at it. I realize these are only corkies, but he's just being hammered. Last time we let him play on through this he severely injured himself with that knee. So you could see why the Coaches might just give him some time off to make sure he's ready to fire for GWS.

That said, I would love for him to play. :( With him in the midfield we just compete so much more. It's hardly a coincidence that the Swannies took control as soon as he was taken off the ground.

It seems unlikely that he would sustain the same physical damage playing Melbourne than he would the bigger bodies and contested style of Sydney.

Too conflicted! I hope they take the conservative route, but I really hope that he plays too so we can win. :D

When you list it like that it is definitely concerning. It's a tough road, once you pick up one medium or serious level injury, you pick all these little niggly ones as well. I reckon the interrupted season throws you out of whack and messes up your timing. Frustrating!

It's an important debate. Be safe and rest him, or play him and risk it. I guess it depends how vital he is to the team firstly (very) and from there how important it is to win. What impact would it have if we were to take the spoon this year? It'd be pretty devastating. I'm glad I'm not making the decision!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that we can ever replace Swallow, but with Horsley and Iles in such ripping form in the 2s, and Rischitelli due to come back in, hopefully we won't feel the loss of his absence too much.

I think i read somewhere that Risca might miss up to a month , heard that there was structual damage to his knee , might be wrong though.

I think i read somewhere that Risca might miss up to a month , heard that there was structual damage to his knee , might be wrong though.

Right on, CoastBhoy. Rischitelli does have structual damage to his knee and ankle. If the situation was ideal, he would probably be rested for the next 3 weeks to make him fully fit. However, as it stands, he's still able to play.

I think that while he doesn't offer as much right now in terms of possessions due to his injuries, just him being out there and barking out orders is a great thing for the guys. He still provides the leadership and experience. Them seeing Rischitelli and Swallow lining up alongside them no doubt fills them with confidence.

I guess whether or not he plays depends on how Swallow gets up. If Swallow misses, it wouldn't surprise me if they bring Rischitelli in. If Rischitelli misses, will they persist with Swallow? It seems unlikely that both would come in, that's for sure.

I can't see the point in playing injured midfielders, if Iles, Horsley, A Hall, Jolly, Flanagan, Allen etc are fit.

Got word straight from the Horse he doesnt expect to play again this season, out of favour with coaches for whatever reason.

Bring AHall and Iles in please though...Also would be open to Jolly coming in, underrated.

Who do you mean scout? Riska or Swallow? It's a massive worry if one of those two are out of favour with the coaches??

By The Horse he means Kyal Horsley, the mature ager we picked up from Subiaco at the end of last year.

Would be surprised regardless if this is the case. The Coaches love harping on about him in the NEAFL wrap-ups. Perhaps they just want to get him through the NEAFL games since he looks to struggle at senior level a bit now? Long season and all that. Another pre-season in him and he should do well.

Lol I thought he meant 'the horses mouth'. I'm the idiot that didn't get the pun. :oops:
Fair enough then. Not sold on him myself. Tbh I expected more from him. That's probably a touch harsh though.

I agree about Horsely
Makes you wonder why the club went all the way to WA to mature list a worse player than Zorko

Cause Zorko was senior listed whilst Horsley was picked up as a rookie where we have plenty of list space.

I rate the Horse, what lets him down is he isnt an overly great athlete.

May not be upgraded come seasons end but retained on the rookie list?

You swap Horsley and Zorko around and it would have been the same situation.

Horsley was fantastic for us for his first 5-6 games. Not only collecting touches, but working extremely hard defensively. I'll do a post on his numbers soon, but they were insane considering his lack of AFL experience and support. But after essentially being the grunt of the midfield with no Swallow to help out, it hits you hard. With only half a pre-season, it's no wonder that his form dipped and he burnt out. From the man himself, he was 'very, very sore'. Probably why he missed a few games in a row at one point around the bye. Didn't even play NEAFL, and has struggled since. I'm looking forward to how he goes with a full AFL pre-season under his belt. Remember, when he was flying, not only did he attract the Crowley tag against the Dockers early in the year, but he absolutely obliterated Matty Boyd from the Dogs.

I could guarantee you that Zorko would have performed the exact same way if playing for the Suns. He would have shone like a bright light for the first 5 or so games, but then he would have dipped quite a bit. But since he's with the Lions who have the likes of Black and Rockcliff to take the bumps when he goes into the midfield, on top of having the luxury to play him more up forward, he's been able to sustain it longer.

With that said, I rate both of them about the same, granted they play somewhat different positions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back