Preview Changes V Port Adelaide (team in OP, no change, Grundy, BK and Schazza emergencies)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So you want Toovey's man to win the game for Port too?
Just watched the first half again.
2 of Rioli's goals were luck.
The off the ground from Lewis in the 1st qtr, the fact Rioli is a freak got him that one.
The other one was a high free kick in the 2nd qtr which should have been holding the ball to us before that.

I wouldn't change much,
in - Greenwood
Out - Maynard

Maynard will be good, but throw him back in the VFL for a good hitout. Need Greenwoods grunt work to help with Boak, Gray etc.

I wouldn't change much,
in - Greenwood
Out - Maynard

Maynard will be good, but throw him back in the VFL for a good hitout. Need Greenwoods grunt work to help with Boak, Gray etc.
I was leaning this way too, but I'm conscious of how small forwards have basically killed us the last 2 weeks.

Earlier in the year we had an oversupply of them with Ramsey and Sinclair also playing. Now we seem a bit light on, especially with Marley playing a bit more midfield.

I think if Sinclair isn't ready, or Goldsack is still out then we probably need Maynard.

I think Oxley is the one who is iffy. Can't really defend a man. Scharenberg is Also an option but fear the port smells may be a bit fleet footed for him right now.

Just watched the first half again.
2 of Rioli's goals were luck.
The off the ground from Lewis in the 1st qtr, the fact Rioli is a freak got him that one.
The other one was a high free kick in the 2nd qtr which should have been holding the ball to us before that.

I actually don't dispute that, but at the same time, even if you take away 2, even THREE goals, Rioli was the difference

I'm not denying Fasolo was shithouse in the first half. What I will add though, is that in the past when Fas has a poor first half, he will have a s**t game overall. He didn't do this on Friday night though. He pulled his finger out and worked harder to get involved in the game. He missed 2 bread and butter snaps for a guy like him. Showing a greater level of maturity in his game lately. You can LOL all you want.
Yes, he stood up and ignited us somewhat in that third qtr.
Was on fire for a few minutes there and had one or two of those near miises sailed through.....well who knows.

If we can persist with Fasolo and Elliott with their quite patches and they can get themselves into games a bit more we will be the better for it.

In:
-Brodie Grundy
-Levi Greenwood

Out:
-Jesse White
-Brayden Maynard

Few Points:
*Grundy and Greenwood(If he is ok) are ready to go surely they don't need another game in the VFL, don't think it'll do them much good.
*Jesse White just needs to find his form
*Brayden Maynard just isn't up to AFL standard(Like PK-He's a VFL player)
*Paul Seedsman looks like he needs a rest so another half game in the VFL and he'll be ready.
*Kennedy hasn't proved himself in the AFL and has had enough chances despite his VFL form.
*No one else stood out in the VFL that should be in contention.
What an absurd thing to say off the back of a single AFL game from a first year player.

I actually don't dispute that, but at the same time, even if you take away 2, even THREE goals, Rioli was the difference

I thought 2 goals 9 in the third quarter was the difference.
Or selecting Moore to debut before he is ready after a 3 kick game the previous week
Or giving Blair the green vest.
Or a stinker from Jamie Elliot.

I wish people would make their minds up!

What an absurd thing to say off the back of a single AFL game from a first year player.
Well at the moment Collingwood must win games and he wasn't up to it. Maynard is still developing and needs more work in the VFL before he can earn a spot in the AFL. He currently isn't in the best 22 players available so no point in playing him when there are other young players better than him that are available. He will be a good player, I think he has more to prove before he can be playing in the AFL again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well at the moment Collingwood must win games and he wasn't up to it. Maynard is still developing and needs more work in the VFL before he can earn a spot in the AFL. He currently isn't in the best 22 players available so no point in playing him when there are other young players better than him that are available. He will be a good player, I think he has more to prove before he can be playing in the AFL again.
You should have made that clearer then, because it sounded a hell of a lot like you were writing him off as VFL standard only, period.

The problem with this attitude though, is that not every debutant is going to come in and instantly set the world on fire. Broomhead for instance, needed a sustained run of games under his belt before being able to really show what he was capable of at the top level. Maynard had some stuff ups, but at the same time, he certainly didn't disgrace himself, and did some really nice things. He is a beautiful kick of the footy. One of his long passes to Toovey was sublime, beautifully weighted. It was a shame Tooves ballsed it up when he dropped dropped the mark and turned it over. It might not happen, but I'd like to see Maynard get a run of at least 3 games to see if he is able to adjust properly to senior footy before being dropped back to the VFL. Alternatively, I'd like to see Marsh get a crack at Goldsack's role. He has been our best performed defender this year in the two's and deserves to get a debut.

We need to stop being afraid to pull the trigger.

Yes it is a risk playing a player who might re-aggravate a pre-existing injury, but if that player can manage a whole game in the twos he is ready to step up to the next level of fitness.

I know what you mean - but remember it's a 5 day break between VFL and AFL, and this is a guy who has been out for an extended period of time with an injury. I think conservatism with our injuries is probably a good thing considering how bad they've hit us over the last couple of years.

I know what you mean - but remember it's a 5 day break between VFL and AFL, and this is a guy who has been out for an extended period of time with an injury. I think conservatism with our injuries is probably a good thing considering how bad they've hit us over the last couple of years.
Didn't know about the 5 day break. Fair enough then.

You should have made that clearer then, because it sounded a hell of a lot like you were writing him off as VFL standard only, period.

The problem with this attitude though, is that not every debutant is going to come in and instantly set the world on fire...

So very true!

Heath Shaw's first game was depressing to watch :) Buck's was injured and we were struggling. Here's this skinny, bow-legged kid running around like a headless chook. I was ready to write him off there and then.

Young kids need time. The jump from VFL to AFL must be huge, on every level, physical and mental.

So very true!

Heath Shaw's first game was depressing to watch :) Buck's was injured and we were struggling. Here's this skinny, bow-legged kid running around like a headless chook. I was ready to write him off there and then.

Young kids need time. The jump from VFL to AFL must be huge, on every level, physical and mental.

Heath Shaw had just come off a full VFL game that morning from memory....although it seemed he made his debut on a Friday night so maybe I'm wrong. Seems like he had a pretty good debut. Maybe it was just 2005 that was depressing to watch.

Last edited:
In:
-Brodie Grundy
-Levi Greenwood

Out:
-Jesse White
-Brayden Maynard

Few Points:
*Grundy and Greenwood(If he is ok) are ready to go surely they don't need another game in the VFL, don't think it'll do them much good.
*Jesse White just needs to find his form
*Brayden Maynard just isn't up to AFL standard(Like PK-He's a VFL player)
*Paul Seedsman looks like he needs a rest so another half game in the VFL and he'll be ready.
*Kennedy hasn't proved himself in the AFL and has had enough chances despite his VFL form.
*No one else stood out in the VFL that should be in contention.
Maynard is only just 18 years old, that's pretty harsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back