Preview Changes v Western Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

It's strange how suddenly CEY's kicking improved, and it's clearly been the factor that's moved him ahead of Lyons and co. I'm still worried that as the season goes on it'll start to slip again, since he's always been pretty awful disposal-wise.

That goal Bont kicked last year against Melbourne was one of the greatest goals I've ever seen. Just ridiculous. .
He's going to be a nightmare to deal with in the future.

I hope Phil sends Dangerfield to him if they go the scrag on Danger like the Dees did, and kill two dogs with one crow.

Last edited:

Absolute fricken must win.

Our soft draw (let's be honest) means that wins won't tell us more than a loss will. We win this week, and our season keeps ticking along. We may not have made a leap yet to top 8/ top 4, but the potential is clearly there. But if we have a loss then we will very quickly know where we are at, and that won't be at a place I want to be.

In no way is this a lay down misere, but it feels at the moment that we don't have room for slip-ups. Win this and we're 4-0, and with facing Port, in effect our real season starts, and we're starting with a nice lead

I hate games like this. The past 2 years have seen us lose far too many "we should win this" games (including in 2013 against the Dogs. Heck even last year they had us on toast in the first quarter).

this is why Tex is Captain... get complacent and cop a whack from the skipper, don't respond and Phil has your ass in shackles for a month along with your lazy ass team mates.

so far we've demolish North, disposed of the Pies by 6 with an ugly 12.18 score line, and gave the Dees a comfortable belt in atrocious conditions.
and the dogs got over West Coast and Richmond, but the Hawks demolished the hobbled doggies last week to the tune of 70 pts...

if we turn up in a reasonably fresh state, i see no reason why we wont roll the dogs comfortably... there should be no excuses.

Last edited:
He still can not defend one one one against a half decent player.
I agree that seeing Jaensch on the opposition's most dangerous small forward still makes me nervous.

One aspect of our new "team defence" is that he has occasionally found himself on Lindsay Thomas and Jamie Elliott. Phil likes to use Jaenschy as one of the outlets from defence (hence the number of uncontested marks) but when he has been the "extra man" in defence his role seems a bit different. Last year when he was the "loose man" in defence he played quite deep. Unlike Brodie Smith (who played this role exceptionally well) Jaenschy was sometimes caught out of position and either arrived at the contest too late or was caught between the ball deliverer and the contest. This made his defensive skills look even worse. This year we have often set up one-on-one in defence (it has brought a tear to Spackler's eye) when there is a stoppage between the F50 and the D50 or the extra man is only 15-20 metres defensive side of the stoppage. I think MJ is more comfortable with the new set-up but we have yet to be tested by a top four team.

I like Henderson given his strengths and at times he has put them on show this year yes. He hasn't played a lot of footy over the jar two seasons so I think he should be left in the side.

The knock on him, like always, is that he sometimes hasn't impacted a contest as hard as he should. Not sure that will ever change.
Going into this season I wanted to see him playing that loose defender role he played in late 2013 but he has been very impressive on the wing so far this year. It problem makes your last point less of an issue too.

Early days but I feel more comfortable when he's in a contest this season than last

2014 was a pleasant surprise but so often players who suddenly have a good year either regress or once the novelty wears off and you really start analysing them you realise it was more the contrast with their previous average football that shone, not any real quality.

He's been solid in all three games this season. I know we haven't really been tested yet but it's been a promising, albeit low key, start to his year.
I'm still unsure whether it's that we haven't yet been tested, or our pressure has dismantled any pressure applied by our opponents so far. Looking at the games in isolation; v NM win by 77, they made a prelim last year and have since demolished Brisbane and fallen shy against Port who are considered a top 4 team; v Collingwood win by 27, they beat Brisbane and StK, neither of whom are much to write home about but they spoke about our crazy pressure all over the ground after the game; v Melb win by 25, they came out determined to make life difficult, and IMO were only trying to limit the damage to their %. All 3 came out strong but wilted shortly afterwards.
i would love to see CEY v Bonts match up on eachother
Sizes are comparable, not sure Cam could keep up with the Bont all day. I'd almost rather Cam to continue what he's doing currently so well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Kelly is playing well I don't see why him and Cheney can't play together. They would both have a match up against port and their medium forwards.
Agree. I think we need a second utility type defender in the side who can go to the medium sized marking player and the other goes to the third tall (as cheney is now). Talia and Hartigan take the gorillas and Brown goes to the goal sneak. It means though that one of Jaensch or Laird move up the ground or make way.

As the original post said, hopefully Kelly can perform and at the very least put some pressure on our defenders.

That's no longer the case if you've watched him in the last 18 months.

LOL - way to put me in my place. Guess I have not watched footy for 18 months. Yet, he is listed on the interchange bench right now. A first gamer was listed in his spot but he's been awesome for 18 months.

Possibly one will play a half and then become a travelling emergency. The other two will play a full match.

Hmmmmmm .... I don't know who to tip in Glenelg vs Crows tonight, Alleway is back for Glenelg. Very tough one. Heaps of tough games to pick in AFL and SANFL this weekend. My 1 week reign at the top may be only that long.

LOL - way to put me in my place. Guess I have not watched footy for 18 months. Yet, he is listed on the interchange bench right now. A first gamer was listed in his spot but he's been awesome for 18 months.
Well he has been awesome for 18 months. Where you're named means nothing these days, unless you're the sub. Which I don't think he will be. Kelly and Jaensch play different positions anyway, silly argument there.

Well he has been awesome for 18 months. Where you're named means nothing these days, unless you're the sub. Which I don't think he will be. Kelly and Jaensch play different positions anyway, silly argument there.

So why wasn't he named in the back 6? If he's been awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back