Preview Changes vs Adelaide @ Subi

Remove this Banner Ad

I seem to recall Darling on the flank kicking to McGovern playing CHF resulting in a goal.

I thought I heard Simmo say something in presser like "Darling capable of being targeted". I suspect that Simmo is looking for a counter to that in later games. I don't know but Simmo may be looking for a true CHF. McGovern certainly is that.

This seems to indicate a shortage of a tall somewhere. He seems to know that by saying "we will be exposed" in discussing the back line. I may be reading too much into this. But why would you move your CHB to CHF when the game has been won? My guess is he was trying something. It would also be good to know who went back. He may be thinking of bringing in a tall down back and allowing Darling more freedom as well as releasing a powerhouse marking CHF in McGovern. You are talking awesome forward line on historical terms. Who would that tall down back be. Who offers the most flexibility? Who would go out? Sorry to ask all these questions.

We may have to wait to see how the season and the team develops.
Yeh, you could be right, I'm pretty sure Darling finished the game on the bench though.
Yeh Simpson was obviously giving something a go to try it out, he was down there too long for him to have just drifted down for one play.
Not sure about who went back, Yeo, Butler, Ellis and even Sheppard have played "tall" at varying times this season though, Simpson probably figured that at that point it didn't matter.
Would be an awesome forward line, could have seen it all season if Emac and Brown hadn't gone down early in the season. My guess is Barrass would come in for a game if anyone to play down back, not sure if it'll happen but he's the most logical choice and from all reports playing well in the WAFL.

Would love to know what the difference was between LeCras' tummy tap on Jetta and Cotchin's on Scooter two weeks earlier :rolleyes:
Open hand v fist?

OUT: Selwood
IN: Barrass

Duggan Sub. McGovern CHF. Barrass CHB.

HF Lecras McGovern Darling
FF Cripps Kennedy Hill

Try stop that!

So you would play a first gamer at CHB and put McGovern at CHF hence unsettling a back line that has been outstanding over the year.
Glad you're not on the match committee.
Quite rediculous really.

So you would play a first gamer at CHB and put McGovern at CHF hence unsettling a back line that has been outstanding over the year.
Quite rediculous really.

We need to play Barrass and soon IMO. Why not this?

B: Wellingham - Schofield - Butler
HB: Hurn - McGovern- Sheppard
C: Masten - Priddis - Gaff
HF: Shuey - Darling - LeCras
F: Cripps - Kennedy - Hill

R: Naitanui - Yeo - Sheed

Int: McInnes - Barrass - Ellis
Sub: Hutchings

When opportunities present itself you have Naitanui on the bench. Schofield, Barras in defense with McInnes zoning outside 50. We've had the zone working pretty well and are doing well in the clearances then why not push McGovern forward where he'll cause all sorts of defensive problems. Just another weapon that we haven't made full use of.

Last edited:
Simmo on 6pr last night:

- It was a mature effort on the weekend given the circumstances. Got the job done on a tough ground in difficult conditions.
- Asked re Darling: He's one of those guys who is naturally ripped and fit. He's come back like he has played all year.
- Asked re Dawes tag on Gov: Yep that was our assessment too. I don't know if I've seen a CHB being tagged before - it was an interesting strategy - but we were happy with Gov's performance regardless. We've been working on our strategies down back. We were a little surprised, but not overly.
- We send him forward late to give him a taste of it - I think he's desperate to get forward in the long run - but right now we really need him down back.
- Asked re Selwood contract: I think he's still working through it. It's not something I deal with day-to-day, but we're working through and hopefully it gets sorted soon.
- Asked re Selwood form: He was sub on the weekend, and he's still working his way back to his best post-injury. I think there's plenty of upside to come. He's an important player and we need him back ASAP.
- Interestingly, he has a light crack at Langdon, who says he has heard rumours he was dark about not becoming captain. Langdon then goes onto say that he personally "poured cold water on that one". Simmo's reply: I love it how you say you poured cold water on a rumour, but then go on to report it.
- Simmo reiterates: they're just rumours.
- Asked re Walsh and how the club is managing it (especially re crows game): Staff and players have been affected. We have to respect the situation and find a balance between the work of the club and personal welfare. Adelaide will be filled with emotion and will want to represent the club.
- We're here to win, but we're also here to respect this situation.
- We will prepare as we would any other week. From a coaching point of view, the process is the same as always. Hopefully it's the right way to go.
- Asked if any players will need to be rested in context of Walsh: The players handled it as best they could on the weekend. If anyone felt like they couldn't cope with it things this week, we would respect that. We'll assess how everyone is tomorrow [Tuesday]
- Asked about the heat in Darwin and if it damages fitness: We didn't feel the pinch. A little humid but nothing too difficult.
- Asked re Rosa and WAFL form/pressure on spots: It was a tough call, but he dealt with it well. I'm not surprised he did as well as he did in the WAFL. A good problem to have.

We need to play Barrass and soon IMO. Why not this?

B: Wellingham - Schofield - Butler
HB: Hurn - McGovern- Sheppard
C: Masten - Priddis - Gaff
HF: Shuey - Darling - LeCras
F: Cripps - Kennedy - Hill

R: Naitanui - Yeo - Sheed

Int: McInnes - Barrass - Ellis
Sub: Hutchings

When opportunities present itself you have Naitanui on sthe bench. Schofield, Barras in defense with McInnes zoning outside 50. We've had the zone working pretty well and are doing well in the clearances then why not push McGovern forward where he'll cause all sorts of defensive problems. Just another weapon that we haven't made full use of.

The team is very settled with most weeks only one or two in's. Why change it just to give a player a run.
Duggan needs a full game and Rosa was BOG for East Perth. Swap them. Why drop Sinclair. What has he done wrong.

Got a depressing feeling that Simmo will bring Selwood back into the 21. I'm guessing he thinks that making him the sub last week was a suitable 'warning'. Also Rosa apparently copped a corked thigh for EP on the weekend. He may be passed fit for this week but it'll probably make it less likely he comes back into the Eagles side thus reprieving Selwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I think Selwood may come in to run with Dangerfield.
To be fair, he did do quite well on Cotchin a few weeks back so it's not the worst decision ever.

I'd rather we went Shuey v Dangerfield though, although Danger would win the battle between the two, I reckon it's a good way to get the best out of Shuey, and if the rest of the team is on top it won't hurt too much (hopefully).

Quite rediculous really.

Almost as bad as almost every attempt on BF to spell ridicolless, ridickoloss, redicolless or whatever the hell it is!

(ridiculous)

Open hand v fist?
On that with the replay it starts open hand but he closes it as it gets close to scooter can't quite tell from the camera angle but when his hand moves away you can see that it is closed. Sneaky Cotchin

Sent from my GT-S6500T using Tapatalk 2

Almost as bad as almost every attempt on BF to spell ridicolless, ridickoloss, redicolless or whatever the hell it is!

(ridiculous)
BS mate. Your changes to the team are the best. Magnificent thinking. Change the back line around by putting MITTS at CHF and upset the balance. You must be a coach. ( under 2s by any chance). Blonk.

The team is very settled with most weeks only one or two in's. Why change it just to give a player a run.
Duggan needs a full game and Rosa was BOG for East Perth. Swap them. Why drop Sinclair. What has he done wrong.

Was paying attention until this. If Sinclair was called Lycett people would be baying for blood.

All i did was get rid of Duggan who needs a full game and the WAFL would suffice. Get rid of Selwood who isn't best 22 in current form and could do with a run in the WAFL and get rid of Sinclair who has been lackluster since pretty much day dot.

McInnes will get a lot more of the ball than Sinclair and would offer us more in terms of stoppage competitiveness. Sinclair goes to ground to win hard balls, McInnes doesn't.

Barrass when he comes on plays third tall and someone else pushes up onto a wing or flank like Ellis, or if we're doing well at the stoppages swing McGovern forward and cause all sorts of problems for our opponents defense.

If it's not working out then drop a tall and bring on Hutchings.

Low risk, high reward.

Last edited:
- Asked re Selwood contract: I think he's still working through it. It's not something I deal with day-to-day, but we're working through and hopefully it gets sorted soon.
- Asked re Selwood form: He was sub on the weekend, and he's still working his way back to his best post-injury. I think there's plenty of upside to come. He's an important player and we need him back ASAP.

Confirmed what I suspected re selwood. The club see him as an integral part of the 22 going forward and he's waiting for selwood to catch up with the rest of the group so they're giving him games even if his form is not quite where they want it to be. Fair to say they're carrying scooter while he finds form

Confirmed what I suspected re selwood. The club see him as an integral part of the 22 going forward and he's waiting for selwood to catch up with the rest of the group so they're giving him games even if his form is not quite where they want it to be. Fair to say they're carrying scooter while he finds form

He's hardly going to turn around and say 'our Vice Captain is a plodder and we hope he leaves via FA at the end of the year.'

He'll trot out the team lines for now, but internally I think Selwood is very much on notice. Simpson has been visibly frustrated by Selwood during games, and now he's dropped him back to the sub. It will be interesting to see how it plays out from here, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Selwood in East Perth colours sometime over the next couple of weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back