Preview Changes vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly been struggling with that knee issue old truck.
Rest that up and he'll have games layette in year where it will look like he turned back the clock. If so alternate Shaw and Hartigan into the team based on opponents and form.
What to do with otten.... will be ready for afl soon.

Why wasn't he subbed out then? He would've been dropped if it wasn't for this concussion. He isn't even pressing for selection in the SANFL.
As i understand the concussion was un-diagnosed ?

No he wouldn't have been dropped ....but that's hindsight conjecture

Jenkins wasn't pressing for a recall either in the SANFL

As i understand the concussion was un-diagnosed ?

No he wouldn't have been dropped ....but that's hindsight conjecture

Jenkins wasn't pressing for a recall either in the SANFL

However, McKernan is on a single year contract, and the difference between what he provided in his first game this year, generously writing off his second game to the concussion, and what Jenkins has provided in his games this year - in the ruck, up forward and around the ground - couldn't be any starker. It's like night and day. Even when generously gifted a start ahead of injured players, and players who performed much better last year, he still had the impact of a Hewson wet newspaper.

Despite all that, I don't think his papers have been stamped yet - if they're still talking him up and willing to play him after all that, I can't see them having realised what the rest of the world already knows and moved on to developing Osborn just yet.

However, McKernan is on a single year contract, and the difference between what he provided in his first game this year, generously writing off his second game to the concussion, and what Jenkins has provided in his games this year - in the ruck, up forward and around the ground - couldn't be any starker. It's like night and day. Even when generously gifted a start ahead of injured players, and players who performed much better last year, he still had the impact of a Hewson wet newspaper.

Despite all that, I don't think his papers have been stamped yet - if they're still talking him up and willing to play him after all that, I can't see them having realised what the rest of the world already knows and moved on to developing Osborn just yet

McKernan is different from Jenkins .....both Jenkins & JPod like to roam ..McKernan is more stay at home FF and IMO straightens us up better than the other two

Osbourne ....what in Gods name leads you to believe Osbourne is any better than McKernan ........or is this simply turning over another sandshell & hoping

We will have a guy back who straightens up soon enough. Smack is fighting Jenkins for a spot, and currently losing badly. Not that he's playing badly its just JJs last 2 weeks have been outstanding.

Hell if he kicked as well against Sydney he'd be leading our goal kicking.

McKernan is different from Jenkins .....both Jenkins & JPod like to roam ..McKernan is more stay at home FF and IMO straightens us up better than the other two

Osbourne ....what in Gods name leads you to believe Osbourne is any better than McKernan ........or is this simply turning over another sandshell & hoping

It's McKernan is finished, Osborn is the next developing Ruck-KPP currently on the list so put the resources into him instead, because there's still a chance for him. No doubt in my mind at all that we'll be drafting a new player of the type in as early as possible next draft.

McKernan is certainly different from Jenkins alreadt; McKernan puts in next to no second efforts, does practically no grunt work at ground level after ball ups, and doesn't run hard. I don't particularly care how straight McKernan makes us look when he plays in the goal square, he doesn't do enough of anything else required to be a footballer to have an AFL career.

People calling for Pods to be dropped - have you been to any of the games this year, or only seen on TV? Genuine question.
Besides the fact Pods has been good he also looks likely to break out soon but most importantly his standing within the football department would be beyond any talk of relegation in the near future.......He simply is in the squad to fill a role until Tex returns to full time AFL. A role he has carried out well. To take the best defender!

Smack should be playing instead of Pods. We should be developing the young player, not giving games to a 32 yo import who has no future at the club. If McKernan can't step up, then Tex will take the spot before too long anyway. Pods is (should be) just back up.

He's definitely not a gun ....but he does need to play as IMO this will be Ruttens last season and Hartigan needs the experience

Can't see him being dropped anytime soon based on last weeks performance

I agree, at the moment he is an honest work horse who will only get better the more games he has under his belt, i'm all for respecting Truck but there does come a time when the penny is dropped that we should we take notice.

W

Despite all that, I don't think his papers have been stamped yet - if they're still talking him up and willing to play him after all that, I can't see them having realised what the rest of the world already knows and moved on to developing Osborn just yet.
Yes Vader I agree with you that is how team will be picked but think both Wright and Brown might be lucky to survive .
Personally would have Lyons back in team as he earns a opportunity every time Sando sends him back to SANFL by not only playing well but dominating as Grigg did as well . Like Brown but only playing average this year and currently not getting best out of Laird in new role and is by far our best defensive small -- mid defender. Leaving room for Grigg and replace Dougy with another ball getter in Lyons . We waited long enough for Dougy to come good so lets give Lyons a shot until at least untilwhen Matts brother returns.
actually think Wright has been Ok a

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its quite a tough but promising position to be in. I rate Hartigan, quick, athletic and his mistakes are already becoming fewer. However if Truck is fit he should come back but probably not this week. Theres no obvious matchup for him and if he is indeed carrying a sore knee then playing him on the hardest deck going round wont help.

Choosing Grigg or Lyons is the harder choice. Grigg probably provides greater flexibility and definetly more scoring power. Lyons is a contested ball magnet who provides more in midfield but isnt as silky smooth as Grigg. The former is IMO a better fit for the inevitable sub vest

Smack should be playing instead of Pods. We should be developing the young player, not giving games to a 32 yo import who has no future at the club. If McKernan can't step up, then Tex will take the spot before too long anyway. Pods is (should be) just back up.

Sorry... Smack has had his chances. Wanted to leave the end of last year and no one wanted him.
Would rather have pods down there putting pressure on trying to keep the footy in the 50.
Smack is a spud... Every other team knows this... Why dont we?

You mean this bloke???
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2014-04-23/pods-presence-felt

I think he might actually have a very big future at the AFC!!!!!

James Podsiadly has been valuable to Adelaide on match days in 2014, averaging more than a goal and three inside 50ms a game while providing crucial contests in attack in the absence of Taylor Walker.
But as a 32-year-old premiership-winning recruit, the greatest benefit of Podsiadly's arrival at West Lakes was always going to be felt off the field.
Podsiadly's knowledge of the game has been passed on to the Crows' key forwards, but he's also helped the development of the club's key defenders.
Kyle Hartigan was a standout in defence for Adelaide last weekend against Greater Western Sydney, teaming up with Daniel Talia and Sam Shaw to restrict tall trio Tom Boyd, Jonathon Patton and Jeremy Cameron to a combined three goals.
Hartigan took five intercept marks against the Giants, and credited Podsiadly and fellow experienced recruit Eddie Betts for helping fast-track the club's young backline.
"'Pods' has been a great mentor, he's been around for a long time – I sit down and do my edits (game review) with 'Pods' every week and he goes through and gives me the forward's aspect of my positioning," Hartigan said.
"I know for Luke Brown, Rory Laird over the pre-season coming to training and playing on Eddie Betts, one of the best small forwards in the game, every training session gives you every confidence when you go out and play.
"Them coming into the club and passing on their knowledge and being able to play on the good players has really benefited our group."

Smack is a spud... Every other team knows this... Why dont we?

I like to think it's because we knew replacing him last year with our penalties was impossible, and didn't want to expose Osborn while he was still a rookie a long way back on the development path, plus it's clear the coaches think very little of Graham.

Truthfully though, the coaches still probably think he's about to have his break out game every week. He's now had a year longer than James Sellar, and 3 times the opportunity.

I like to think it's because we knew replacing him last year with our penalties was impossible, and didn't want to expose Osborn while he was still a rookie a long way back on the development path, plus it's clear the coaches think very little of Graham.

Truthfully though, the coaches still probably think he's about to have his break out game every week. He's now had a year longer than James Sellar, and 3 times the opportunity.

We put him on the table for steak knives last year. No one took him.

Yes, but we also offered him a one year deal afterwards, hence keeping him because of not being able to replace him with our draft picks.
and he hasn't taken his chances whereas pods has. The season is young and smack will probably get more opportunities but he has to earn them

Am I right in saying that losing this one is literally disastrous for us if we have any intention of playing in September?

Yep. Have to win this one to have any kind of credibility whatsoever. Preferably also beat Collingwood in a months time.

It sounds blatantly obvious to say it out loud, but this week is still worth 4 points, and every match counts when you're looking at finishing 5th or lower. You have to win this kind of game to take the pressure off.

Yep. Have to win this one to have any kind of credibility whatsoever. Preferably also beat Collingwood in a months time.

It sounds blatantly obvious to say it out loud, but this week is still worth 4 points, and every match counts when you're looking at finishing 5th or lower. You have to win this kind of game to take the pressure off.

If we win 4 games on the trot and have Tex, Crouch, Otten and Douglas all back for that clutch game against the Pies, the atmosphere is going to be bloody electric.

For me it will smash the Showdown experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back