Changes vs Gold Coast (R5) - Jetta in for Kent

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gold Coast aren't a one man team anymore. We need to shut down Prestia and Swallow too, I would play Cross on Prestia and Mckenzie on Swallow, Jones to run with Ablett. We still have Tyson, Viney and Vince playing through the midfield.

While jones did amazing against murphy I think ablett will need a hard tag. Mckenzie to go to ablett with jones playing the same role he did last week and trying to take the honours against prestia. Cross can then go against swallow. Collingwood tried the method of rotating midfielders against ablett last year with Pendles and beams and it came back to kill them, I don't want to see us make that same mistake.

Problem with Ablett is he's by far the most un-taggable player Ive ever seen. Doesnt happen successfully very often at all.
But Mckenzie did it well last year... Shut Ablett down to 19 possessions and IIRC he had no real affect on the scoreboard. If your on a winning formula stick with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem with Ablett is he's by far the most un-taggable player Ive ever seen. Doesnt happen successfully very often at all.

I could see swallow or someone walking over to ablett an going hey isn't that mckenzie the guy who held you to 19 , and ablett then goin on and gettin 43 and kicking 4

But Mckenzie did it well last year... Shut Ablett down to 19 possessions and IIRC he had no real affect on the scoreboard. If your on a winning formula stick with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did we win that game?

McKenzie did an amazing job that day. Had some significant help from Garland and a few others though.

And back then - Ablett didnt have much help. We catn go and tag 4 players - so it may be worth Jones running of Ablett, and us trying to shut down someone like Swallow instead.

Will be really interesting to see which way Roos goes - I love having a coach that I have confidence in!

McKenzie did an amazing job that day. Had some significant help from Garland and a few others though.

And back then - Ablett didnt have much help. We catn go and tag 4 players - so it may be worth Jones running of Ablett, and us trying to shut down someone like Swallow instead.

Will be really interesting to see which way Roos goes - I love having a coach that I have confidence in!

Not to take anything away from young McKenzie who did a pretty good job that day, Ablett was carrying a few serious niggles in that game and probably had it have been earlier in the season would not have even played.

His form over the 4 weeks was pretty bad starting with West Coast, Melbourne, Port Adelaide and StKilda.

The Dees are my second team. Id love to see the club do well. You've got all the parts in place, now its just a matter of time.

Some of my GC supporter crowd are EXPECTING us to win by 60. That is total crap. Underestimate the Dees at your peril. This is what I said on the GC board...;
Writing the Dees off as a 60 point victim is dangerous for anyone. If nothing else, they have respect for themselves this year. People go on about the difference in the quality and abilities of players. My opinion of that is there is very little difference in players at the top level. Perhaps only 1 or 2%. It is the consistency of a player that makes them 'great' or looked apon as good.
If Melbourne play to their potential as individuals and as a group, they can beat anyone. It is the complexity of getting all those kids, tactics, combinations, etc all working together that is the challenge for a coach and a team. Last year it was all out of whack. This season Roosy is slowly , player by player, game by game, correcting what was wrong. When they get it right, Melbourne are going to shock some big sides this season. Like I said, in elite athletes, there isn't a lot of difference. Its doing the small things consistently well.
We will need to be at our best to beat them. Ive no doubt they see us as a potential victory. And believe me, after the horror they have been through, the pain of humiliation, defeat, etc, they are going to be mentally tough to beat. They don't want that pain again. Don't take the Dees easy. Im sure they believe they can beat us. We are a potential victory for them. They will be going hard at us. It should be a great game!

Jordie to Ablett.

Dunn to Swallow - he's doing damage off half back so have Dunn play defensive forward.

Prestia and Jones H2H

You don't play your best mid h2h with a teams third. Jones is more valuable to us than Prestia to them. Honestly, the h2h thing was cool but it's not going to happen every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ROUND 5 TEAM

Jetta one of three added to squad

MELBOURNE has added three players to its squad for Sunday’s clash against Gold Coast Suns at the MCG.
The Demons have added key forward Jack Fitzpatrick, midfielder Jimmy Toumpas and rookie Neville Jetta to the 25-man squad.

The Demons will play the Suns at 3.20pm.

Melbourne team: round five

B: Alex Georgiou, Tom McDonald, Lynden Dunn
HB: Dean Terlich, James Frawley, Jack Grimes
C: Jack Viney, Dom Tyson, Bernie Vince
HF: Jack Watts, Cam Pedersen, Jordie McKenzie
F: Jeremy Howe, Chris Dawes, Rohan Bail
FOLL: Jake Spencer, Nathan Jones, Daniel Cross

I/C (from): Jay Kennedy-Harris, Matt Jones, Dean Kent, Neville Jetta, Jimmy Toumpas, Michael Evans, Jack Fitzpatrick

IN: Jack Fitzpatrick, Neville Jetta, JimmyToumpas
OUT: –

Gold Coast Squad

ROUND 5 AFL Premiership Senior Team

B:
M. Warnock, S. May, G. Broughton
HB: S. Lemmens, R. Thompson, T. McKenzie
C: M. Shaw, G. Ablett, J. Harbrow
HF: A. Hall, T. Lynch, D. Stanley
F: L. Russell, S. Day, B. Matera
R: T. Nicholls, J. O’Meara, D. Swallow

INT:
T. Sumner, J. Hutchins, D. Prestia, M. Rischitelli, K. Kolodjashnij, J. Taylor, T. Murphy

In: Matera, Sumner, Taylor, Murphy
Out: Cameron (shoulder)

Look, you can't not tag Ablett. You just have to mitigate the damage and hope for the best.

People seriously underrating the help McKenzie got from Garland last year, it was no where near a one man job.

Yeah, McKenzie ran with Ablett through the middle and when Gary went forward to break the tag then Garland defended him. Mind you, with the hysteria surrounding taggers at the moment, if Garland played on him again like last time, Ablett would have about 8 free shots at goal!

You don't play your best mid h2h with a teams third. Jones is more valuable to us than Prestia to them. Honestly, the h2h thing was cool but it's not going to happen every week.
There is absolutely no way Prestia isn't the suns clear 2nd best midfielder so I'm unsure who you are classifying as their 2nd? Surely not Jaeger yet and not swallow based on 4 games, Bennell could be but isnt on the park. Dion was 2nd in their b&f last year and looks to have improved after a minor setback in the preseason. So I think it would be wise to tag ablett very hard and hope Jones gains ascendancy over their next best in Prestia. That would go a long way to winning the game I believe.

Here's to hoping Jetta gets a run ahead of Terlich and most importantly Toump. While Toump does have talent I think a month of solid form in the VFL is best for him at this time.

There is absolutely no way Prestia isn't the suns clear 2nd best midfielder so I'm unsure who you are classifying as their 2nd? Surely not Jaeger yet and not swallow based on 4 games, Bennell could be but isnt on the park. Dion was 2nd in their b&f last year and looks to have improved after a minor setback in the preseason. So I think it would be wise to tag ablett very hard and hope Jones gains ascendancy over their next best in Prestia. That would go a long way to winning the game I believe.

Here's to hoping Jetta gets a run ahead of Terlich and most importantly Toump. While Toump does have talent I think a month of solid form in the VFL is best for him at this time.

As a SUNS supporter I have Jaeger ahead of Dion in general and Swallow ahead of both of them this year.

Prestia is a champion, but Jones is better than him. We don't want to send Jones into the back line again this week, because that's where Prestia will take him if Bluey watched Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back