Strategy Changes vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we made most of our profit last year from the VFL,
just saying.

Whom ever they bring in has to be able to run the 100
meters real quick as GWS were breakneck quick this
week.

I watched the VFL today. I wouldn't be opposed to giving McLean a gig. Great hands and a good set shot (something stringer, dahl, crameri have been struggling with). Hrovat was great. As was Grant until he was taken off at half time as he was emergency for this arvos game. Redpath was good, however he was playing on a first year defender (Sam Durdin).

Out: Goodes (inj/omitted), Cordy, Hunter, Jong, Biggs

In: Macrae, Campbell, Grant, Webb, Hvorat

I just want players who play with passion and zeal. If you won't give 110%, nick off to the VFL.
This.

Under no circumstances should Roughead play first ruck. Seriously why would we do that?

Yes he would do a better job than Cordy and Campbell, but at what cost?
Is Roughead going to be starting ruck in our side that pushes for a flag? No. Then he should be playing and developing in a position he will be needed in the future.

Some people are amazingly short sighted. Sacrifice now for benefit later.
Are you sure you're not being short sighted? Why can't Roughy be our first ruck in a flag push? Talia and Roberts developing well as KP defenders. Hamling will come in and establish himself over the next 12 months imo and Zaine Cordy has started well in his first few VFL games.

Roughead as a defender is a legacy of being understaffed post Lake leaving.

Where do you see him in the future?

Out: Cordy, Goodes, Biggs, Dale
In: Minson(Campbell), Grant , Macrae, Honeychurch

next week I don't care for development. Just need the W.
Would love Redpath in but can't fit him in, unless Roughy plays first ruck

IN: Macrae, Hrovat, Honeychurch, Minson, Hamling
OUT: Goodes, Hunter, Jong, Cordy, Biggs

OUT

T. Boyd (rest)
Hunter (form)
Goodes (broken arm and form)
Jong (needs to heal that hand up)
Cordy (experiment hasn't worked too well)

IN

Hamling (experiment with Roughead in the ruck, Hamling, Roberts, Talia with Cordy developing. We have enough capable defenders)
Macrae
Webb (for goodes. He and Biggs can swap between wing and half back roles)
Redpath (obvious fill in for Boyd as he has a rest)
Honeychurch or Hrovat

I will keep Biggs and Dale in. Too many of you are harsh and judge a kid by one game than look at the big picture and realise even stars have bad games, by your logic should they be dropped, even if they have had great games in the rest? Biggs and Dale need time to settle down and a chance to establish themselves. I like the xfactor Dale brings, and Biggs whilst made a few error at times, got plenty of the ball at a decent efficiency when most others were worse off

Out:
Jong (2 shocking games in a row); Dale (just not ready yet); Goodes (injured); Cordy (has been given a fair go and probably time to move on with him or move him on - whichever); Hunter (needs to learn that AFL level is a tough gig and requires consistent physical effort)
Lucky to survive: TBoyd (needs to lead more and get into better positions); Bonts (grinding down with each week that passes, needs batteries recharged); Dickson (from chocolates to boiled lollies), Biggs (poor debut but deserves another chance, perhaps as tagger on any one of GWS's star midfielders)
In:
Macrae; Hrovat; Webb; Honeychurch; Campbell or Minson -take your pick

Out: Goodes (inj.), Jong (form/inj.), Cordy.

In: Webb, Grant or McCrae (whoever has better VFL form) and Minson.

The INs are picked on assumption that they played well in VFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bare minimum IN's: Macrae, Grant, Hrovat and Minson (as long as the umpire incident is dismissed).

OUT's: Dale, Hunter, Cordy, Goodes

I'd also consider Webb (for Biggs). Webb is better already. Bev has shown a reluctance (aside from Big Red) to drop blokes after 1 game in though. Also in the gun: Crameri, Jong, Toyd, Roberts

Why give Boyd a rest when we have a bye in a few weeks?

What did you see in his game against Melbourne that says we pick him?

I saw a player that couldn't get above a jog or compete, and got 1 touch in just over a half of footy.

Don't be confused by the word rest, we are saying rest, because you don't drop million dollar a year franchise players...

Under no circumstances should Roughead play first ruck. Seriously why would we do that?

Is Roughead going to be starting ruck in our side that pushes for a flag? No. Then he should be playing and developing in a position he will be needed in the future.

There at least two obvious problems with your reasoning:

1 - Roughead may or may not play ruck in our next premiership tilt. I don't see how you could rule this in or out at this early stage. If Beveridge is not going to pick Minson or Campbell then Roughead may well be the best option to ruck next week, and frankly Roughead is hardly SOS like as a backman so I don't see the harm.

2 - What I can rule out is that Murphy and M Boyd won't be around for our next premiership, so on your logic its shortsighted to be picking them either???:rolleyes:

Out - Goodes, T Boyd, Jong, Hunter
In - Macrae, Hrovat, Redpath, Grant

Bont looks shot at the moment and I wouldn't be fussed if he got a rest. Toyd is shot and needs a rest, Bev highlighted this in the press conference but also said Toyd would want to play against GWS. But if Toyd wanted to play next week, he had to get above a canter at least once this week. Toyd's performance was the worst I've seen since Liam Jones turned up in one of our jumpers against Melbourne last year...

If Toyd isn't picked I guess we have to pick Redpath, though I've seen nothing from him at AFL level that suggests he can cut it, however we need someone tall up forward whose name isn't Ayce.

I'm not sure how Cordy gets dropped if Toyd is rested as there would be no ruck backup for Roughead. I am of course assuming that Minson and Campbell won't get picked ahead of Ayce. No point in debating Cordy's merits as a ruckman, its there for everyone to see. Bev obviously doesn't care about winning centre clearances, I do care but that has as much effect on selection as a butterfly farting has on the weather.

Jong is simply not playing anywhere near well enough to retain his spot. He has shown ability, let him regain some confidence against Frankston.

Hunter - people talk about his hardness and defence which aren't strong points. But for me it was his decision making and kicking that were inadequate. He seems to have no confidence and on multiple occassions tried to kick the ball less than 10m to team mates, and even then shanked these kicks at times. Don't understand why he thinks kicking less than 10m is even an option.

I'd love to see Webb back if he is fit enough but Biggs should get another chance at it (although at times Biggs reminded me of Jason Tutt with his Mr Freeze like tendencies, hopefully just nerves)

McLean is another. Honey if fit is another. Youth, heart, energy and freshness maybe the remedy for the lackluster performance on display against Melbourne (although Biggs and Dale fitted these criteria).

I wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few changes this week.

Last edited:
In: some hard as * players who can give GWS a tough day at the office. They will definately be coming for us and if Toyd plays expect him to be a target. Some of the GWS middle rung players like Greene will be out to make Saturday heros of themselves this week. See his latest comments at AFL.com. I would play Minno simply because he will at least fly the flag if s**t gets real. We have some tired, tired young players and too many carrying something. Redpath in. Koby to play in the middle.

Maybe you are not short sighted enough - just who does he play on this week as a backman ? McCarthy and Cameron and stewart way too mobile for him. So under your logic we drop him do we?

Fact is if will gets suspended roughy is our next best matchup for Mumford.

Anyway my changes...

Boyd to be rested according to beveridge

For me
Out: Biggs Jong Goodes Boyd hunter Cordy (if will not suspended)

Ins: webb, hvorat, macrae, redpath, Minson, grant

I think it would be a good point of difference to start bonti in the goal square, much like how Adelaide do it with dangerfield.
Roughy definitely has be the starting ruck if will isn't played, with hamling taking his spot down back.
Macrae on the wing and Webb in down back.
It'd be alright to see Fletch up forward to see his contested marking. Who comes in for Boyd if he doesn't get up? Redpath? Or go small?

I think it would be a good point of difference to start bonti in the goal square, much like how Adelaide do it with dangerfield.
?
I think if you watch the replay Bont did start and play forward for quite a bit of q1 yesty. Lots of forward entries and he didn't get near it. He's doing a fair bit of ball watching lately. He needs a spell.

I think if you watch the replay Bont did start and play forward for quite a bit of q1 yesty. Lots of forward entries and he didn't get near it. He's doing a fair bit of ball watching lately. He needs a spell.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it was around chf he started? I thought maybe full forward. You're probably right, I was too busy watching the ball and contests, something he was barely near.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back