Preview Changes vs Hawthorn Rnd 19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mystifying. I'd thought Wood had cemented his position in the team, and would probably have had him in the first half dozen in the b&f. It was only a couple of weeks ago we were all raving about his one-on-one efforts against GC.

This might be a good time to make mention of an article a few weeks ago that showed Wood was in the bottom 3 in the entire league for winning one on one contests. I don't remember what the article was called so wont be able to find it, but Dannnnnnnnnn might remember, since he showed it to me. So it might be one factor in his dropping.

This might be a good time to make mention of an article a few weeks ago that showed Wood was in the bottom 3 in the entire league for winning one on one contests. I don't remember what the article was called so wont be able to find it, but Dannnnnnnnnn might remember, since he showed it to me. So it might be one factor in his dropping.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...layer-in-the-afl/story-e6frf3e3-1226978113033

According to Champion Data, Easton Wood is the second worst one-on-one defender in the league, losing 26.7% more 1v1 contests than he wins. Only Hawthorn's Kyle Cheney has a worse percentage at -27.5%.

Richmond's Alex Rance leads the way at +25.6%.

Last edited:
Clearly Austin's doing what's been asked of him.

Someone who sees more of the dogs live than I do could tell us just what that is...

I watch dogs and i dont know. Last 3 games no impact and total of 17 possessions (3 games). Perhaps Wood murdered someone and it hasnt gone public ? i have no idea how Austin got a game in front of Wood

Can inform everyone that the weather in Launceston over the last few days has been horrendous, flash flooding, gale force winds the works. Schools have closed for today/tomorrow and a woman was killed by a falling tree today. Expect a hard slog on Sunday lads.

Can inform everyone that the weather in Launceston over the last few days has been horrendous, flash flooding, gale force winds the works. Schools have closed for today/tomorrow and a woman was killed by a falling tree today. Expect a hard slog on Sunday lads.
Well... this is going to be a fun game to watch.

I like this part, I don't want Hawthorn to take it easy
pretty strong/experienced backline from them
and in the wet I wonder which players of ours will handle the conditions the best
except Libba of course :rolleyes:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl...layer-in-the-afl/story-e6frf3e3-1226978113033

According to Champion Data, Easton Wood is the second worst one-on-one defender in the league, losing 26.7% more 1v1 contests than he wins. Only Hawthorn's Kyle Cheney has a worse percentage at -27.5%.

Richmond's Alex Rance leads the way at +25.6%.
I like this stat and doesn't read well for Wood when it's a stat that Macca would no doubt also value with his emphasis on winning your own and disputed ball. I note that Geelong have two in the top 5 (Lonergan and Taylor) who were both missing the day they got belted by Sydney.

I like this stat and doesn't read well for Wood when it's a stat that Macca would no doubt also value with his emphasis on winning your own and disputed ball. I note that Geelong have two in the top 5 (Lonergan and Taylor) who were both missing the day they got belted by Sydney.
I agree it's not ideal and the coaching staff would be less than pleased with it, but having thought about this quite a bit since I found the article I think its severity may be a little bit exaggerated, for two key reasons:
  1. Wood spent much of the first portion of the season playing on mismatched players that were bigger or stronger (or in some cases, both) than him, as our tall defensive stocks went down and Macca challenged him. Realistically his winning rate would drop on these guys and I think it may be contributing to the awfully low stat.
  2. I don't have stats to back me up with this, but I would gather that Easton would have been involved in significantly less one-on-one contests than most of the other defenders in this low range. Wood's major strengths are getting to the ball first and peeling off his man to provide some support/rebound - both of which rarely result in contests. As such, losses (and gains for that matter) have a bigger impact on the percentage than his closest rivals.
I don't think the stat is to be ignored or anything, I think it's just a bit exaggerated. I don't think Wood is a consistently good one-on-one player as the stats suggest, but I don't think he's the second-worst in the AFL.

I think the factor more likely to have contributed to his omission is the fact that Wood has not adjusted to his 'new role' well. When he's been given a defensive role on a guy around his size or bigger, he's played good footy. However since Austin has come into the side, Wood has played more 'small ball' (to use a basketball expression). One of the key responsibilities of a player in this role is to take the game on and gain some meterage, something I don't think Wood has done particularly well of late. I think we want to develop Wood as somebody that has Dale Morris-levels of versatility in the defensive half, which means that Wood needs to become better at playing this role. He has fantastic running power but I don't think he's used it well of late, and that's when he's really needed to.

I still think the omission was harsh, but I can sorta see why - partially the issues one-on-one displayed by the stat (although, as explained, I think they're exaggerated), but mostly just wanting him to attack the game a bit more and open up some space for us.

If it's pouring down than it might pose a problem. We just don't play good footy in the wet. The last two I can remember are Geelong (This season) and Adelaide (Last season), and neither of those games were particularly good. But I suppose it's best that the young players learn how to play well in the wet now, rather than during a potential season deciding game that's soaking wet in a couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on down Tommy Campbell

I agree it's not ideal and the coaching staff would be less than pleased with it, but having thought about this quite a bit since I found the article I think its severity may be a little bit exaggerated, for two key reasons:
  1. Wood spent much of the first portion of the season playing on mismatched players that were bigger or stronger (or in some cases, both) than him, as our tall defensive stocks went down and Macca challenged him. Realistically his winning rate would drop on these guys and I think it may be contributing to the awfully low stat.
  2. I don't have stats to back me up with this, but I would gather that Easton would have been involved in significantly less one-on-one contests than most of the other defenders in this low range. Wood's major strengths are getting to the ball first and peeling off his man to provide some support/rebound - both of which rarely result in contests. As such, losses (and gains for that matter) have a bigger impact on the percentage than his closest rivals.
I don't think the stat is to be ignored or anything, I think it's just a bit exaggerated. I don't think Wood is a consistently good one-on-one player as the stats suggest, but I don't think he's the second-worst in the AFL.

I think the factor more likely to have contributed to his omission is the fact that Wood has not adjusted to his 'new role' well. When he's been given a defensive role on a guy around his size or bigger, he's played good footy. However since Austin has come into the side, Wood has played more 'small ball' (to use a basketball expression). One of the key responsibilities of a player in this role is to take the game on and gain some meterage, something I don't think Wood has done particularly well of late. I think we want to develop Wood as somebody that has Dale Morris-levels of versatility in the defensive half, which means that Wood needs to become better at playing this role. He has fantastic running power but I don't think he's used it well of late, and that's when he's really needed to.

I still think the omission was harsh, but I can sorta see why - partially the issues one-on-one displayed by the stat (although, as explained, I think they're exaggerated), but mostly just wanting him to attack the game a bit more and open up some space for us.
Yeah, all stats require a context. Such a result would certainly prompt you to look for a context that mitigates the result and you may be right. As for his rebounding, I draw on my earlier assessments of Wood and rebounding. In my view, he looks to run/beat a man first in attack/counter attack. That's his instinct and plan A. Unfortunately, I never saw enough evidence of a Plan B or C. You can rebound by run, hand or foot combined with decision making and I felt the latter three to be lacking. Admittedly, I haven't paid too much attention to his play this year having been captivated by the wizardry and progress of the younger ones.

As everyone has said over Wood, it's incredibly harsh. Either that or I personally have been overrating his performances all year.

Mark Austin over Fletch continues to be perplexing from my point of view.

And if Goodes plays its insanity. He does this every six or seven weeks, plays well in the VFL then is inept and slow at the next level.

Still not as bad as Geelong.

1545781_756409594382435_1496978433103545703_n.jpg

Can inform everyone that the weather in Launceston over the last few days has been horrendous, flash flooding, gale force winds the works. have closed for today/tomorrow and a woman was killed by a falling tree today. Expect a hard slog on Sunday lads.

It's certainly been bucketing down, but it supposed to clear up by Sunday and Aurora drains well so will probably be fine. Funny thing is Tony Abbott was down there today... are you the PM?!? :p

I back the coaching staff to help Easton rectify whatever deficiencies they think his game may have. I also believe Easton is talented enough to actually do it. One of my favourite players on our list.

Just some comments

Mark Austin
Why is this guy in the team. He 25 years old now. He is The fall over king. He has no special talent at all. But worse, he has chinks. He was a dud at Carlton, and a dud since he joined us. He averages 9 disposals a game. That doesn't tell the whole story I know. He is a tall in the backline maybe? Didn't do much good against Essendon last match with Carlisle grabbing everything. How does he get a game? He must mow the coach's lawn. Maybe the coach hates Talia more. A mystery to me. He will never be any good because he has no elite talent at all. He has no good signs.

Sam Darley
Play this guy when you can. I am impressed by him. He will be a better player than Stevens, Wood or Honeychurch. I hope he will be a long-term good player for the side.

Bret Goodes
I like him because he takes risks, but unfortunately he stuffs up too much.

Tom Campbell
Hope that we can get more games into him. He is a great talent.

Fletcher Roberts
He doesn't appear to have too many special talents. Not a high flying mark, not good at his feet, not a run and carry man, doesn't appear to have any mongrel in him at all and not a great tackler or chaser. He stands around and looks on too much for my liking, he doesn't seem to have energy in him. What do people see in him? He is a dud I reckon.

Can anybody please tell me what good they see in Austin and Roberts.

Just some comments

Mark Austin
Why is this guy in the team. He 25 years old now. He is The fall over king. He has no special talent at all. But worse, he has chinks. He was a dud at Carlton, and a dud since he joined us. He averages 9 disposals a game. That doesn't tell the whole story I know. He is a tall in the backline maybe? Didn't do much good against Essendon last match with Carlisle grabbing everything. How does he get a game? He must mow the coach's lawn. Maybe the coach hates Talia more. A mystery to me. He will never be any good because he has no elite talent at all. He has no good signs.

Sam Darley
Play this guy when you can. I am impressed by him. He will be a better player than Stevens, Wood or Honeychurch. I hope he will be a long-term good player for the side.

Bret Goodes
I like him because he takes risks, but unfortunately he stuffs up too much.

Tom Campbell
Hope that we can get more games into him. He is a great talent.

Fletcher Roberts
He doesn't appear to have too many special talents. Not a high flying mark, not good at his feet, not a run and carry man, doesn't appear to have any mongrel in him at all and not a great tackler or chaser. He stands around and looks on too much for my liking, he doesn't seem to have energy in him. What do people see in him? He is a dud I reckon.

Can anybody please tell me what good they see in Austin and Roberts.

they must be "good" people bret even has the word good in his name ---> autoselect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back