Changes vs North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently K.Cornes has been involved in the fire fighter recruitment process... this wkend is another round of testing which could explain him being rested.
Kane is still listed as an emergency though. He'll still be in Melbourne with the team and will apparently be in the coaches box for the game if he isn't needed on the field.

Pretty happy with those changes. I would have picked butch as kicking to a midget forward line hasn't worked out too well but with those ins we should have a lot of run and young will probably spend a bit of time up forward and can at least compete in the air.

From what I've heard, they only recruit once in a blue moon. It's extremely difficult to get past round one let alone into the last

Yeah the MFS is basically impossible to get into. I'm pretty sure they only recruit to attrition, which is low because it's an awesome job, and they get something like 2000 applicants to fill 20 positions or something similar.

Must admit not seen much of Ah Chee, just watched his highlights reel from junior level, so I'm guessing he's a mid forward? Also his movement reminded me of Sean Burgoyne, looks like he could develop into a smooth mover, although his finishing to forwards was pretty wasteful in the junior highlights reel, has that improved with the Magpies?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our problem v Sydney was that our ball transition was too slow to be able to hit targets up forward before Sydney flooded our f50. We've rectified that bringing in Mitchell, Ah Chee, and Krak. Another problem was our ability to win the contested footy and clearances, both of which Young and Ah Chee can help with.
On the flip, Neade has shown he's not quite up to it at the moment, Cornes is being managed, Reddo still needs a few more weeks at the very least in the SANFL getting touch back, and Impey is out injured.
These are some pretty good selections IMO. They may be a little left field given the names, but I'm applauding the match committee for having the balls to pull the trigger on some of these rather than chastising them for it.

Honestly most of Butchers kicks against Freo were long bombs to a contest. Then when he was streaming out of the back half in the last on a great counter attacking opportunity, he missed a free Ollie Wines by 20m.

For me that was the moment he dropped himself. His kicking is just way too poor and is clearly the major reason he isn't being selected.

Plus this week we need to inject run, so going smaller was the right call. The only question was will Ahchee actually give us something because O'Shea and Moore definitely would've .

Are people seriously saying that Kornes isn't playing because it interferes with his fireman training. Seriously? Maybe Butcher ain't playing because the Maffra Fair is on this weekend too?
Well Janey just mentioned that he is a travelling emergency so that puts an end to that rumour.... I have a mate who has made it to the final round, he said kane made it through with him

I'm thinking they didn't bring butcher in because they are expecting lobbe back next week and wanted him to get some continuity
Agreed. If Lobbe comes in next week it would be AFL, SANFL, AFL, SANFL for Butch. One of Butches major detriments is hesitation relating to a lack of confidence. Sure Butcher statistically might have better stats this season compared to Westy and Schultz in 4 games this year, but they all offer something different.

The Hoff is integral to our structure, with his endurance and his potential as a utitlity, something Butch can't replicate. The Hoff is hot and cold, but he is a proven matchwinner. His versatility is part of his downfall in that he can't settle in a position. He doesn't need to be played in the centre square. He just needs to roam from the forward line to defence. Schultzy is our leading goal kicker for the last few years, he has courage in spades, and is generally a dead eye dick. He's earnt the right to prove he deserves to persisted with.

Whilst Butch might be statistically better over a few games this season, he hasn't done it in a way that's smashed the door down. His confidence is a bit chicken or the egg. He doesn't fill people with confidence, but maybe needs an opportunity to get it. However, we finished third last year a tall short. The plan this year has always been Lobbe and Ryder. I agree Butcher gives us structure and gives the Hoff a better chance to shine. But I don't think it hurts for him to really consolidate in the SANFL. If he's good enough he'll make it happen.

Yes, because giving him a spray is exactly what a confidence player like Butcher needs.

I know he has been marked as a future leader and captain, but I don't think you'd ever see Boak give a team mate a spray, at least on field.
In fairness to Ollie, Ollie only expects players to play to the standard that he does. The kick was a shocker and the spay was on, HTFU. I want Butch in but Ollie was merely passing a message Ken had sent telepathically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back