Changes vs Power

Remove this Banner Ad

If Campbell has done his shoulder, Minson would be available next week correct?

Redpath has been really good, way better than anything else on our list at the moment anyway(so pretty much just offering more than Boyd ATM). Surely won't get dropped. Maybe I've been watching different games to some of you blokes.

I thought Prudden played well too but I reckon his little run in the seniors might be at it's end just for the moment. I actually saw something for the first time in him which gives me a lot of hope so well played to him and the coaching staff for backing him in.

I thought Hamling played pretty well first game back and I would not rule Z.Cordy out of the mix either. Looks a natural.

When the whips were cracking Daniel wasn't doing a lot which had me worried. Worked his way in to the game very well though and like Webb, Prudden, Hrovat and Dale at times this season, I can see us rotating them. Maybe not this week though.

If Roberts or Roughead aren't fit than Talia stays for an extra week but dropped if a true tall defender is fit.

Last edited:
I saw very little in the twos today, so for me unchanged.
Toyd and Hamling looked a little hurt still the rest had a
few moments, but no one smashed the door down.

I really want to see Redpath and Boyd play together before the season's out.

I think so. Ryder and westhoff are jumpers (suits hamling, Biggs and wood) and Schulz is just a smart player so I think Morris can take him.

Keen to see Jong given another crack before September to see if he can recapture his early season form.

Boyd's ability as a ruckman is nice, but is the forward line functioning better (as beveridge alluded to in his presser) without him?? Creating more movement, space and opportunity for strings, Crameri and Dickson??
I think playing Essendon and Collingwood is why our forwardline functioned better. They are the only teams in recent weeks that haven't played us defensively.

Redpath has been really good, way better than anything else on our list at the moment anyway(so pretty much just offering more than Boyd ATM). Surely won't get dropped. Maybe I've been watching different games to some of you blokes.
0 goals in an 87 point thrashing isn't very good. Yes his crash and bash work is good, and he may well be offering more than Boyd would right now, but ultimately, he's in the team to score goals, and he's struggling to produce them.

Boyd for Redpath - I like having Redpath on the list but he's still just depth at this point. Boyd already provides a better target up forward but he's also doing pretty well in the ruck these days and we could use that.

Hamling for Prudden - Faster and taller. We've gotten away with playing a short backline but it makes me nervous and if Hamling's fit we don't have to.

Jong/Webb/Hamilton for Dale - Dale still looking the goods but give the guy a rest. I also feel it's a spot that could be rotated through a bit. Maybe get some game time into Jong before a possible finals campaign where he could be useful. Maybe give Hamilton his debut. Maybe give Webb another chance, he was really solid earlier and again could be another player we use in the finals. Or maybe just leave Dale in.

Last edited:
Wow, you would probably be in the minority with that view KH.
Talia did some good work as part of team defence, like leaving his man to come across and influence a contest. But one-on-one he was smashed and his disposal effectiveness I thought was below average.
18 touches at 88% efficiency.

Essendon goals from their key forwards was 2 for the whole match.

He played solid.

18 touches at 88% efficiency.

Essendon goals from their key forwards was 2 for the whole match.

He played solid.
Yes, a few stuff ups but a lot of good work which he isn't getting credit for.

Boyd for Redpath - I like having Redpath on the list but he's still just depth at this point. Boyd already provides a better target up forward but he's also doing pretty well in the ruck these days and we could use that.

Hamling for Prudden - Faster and taller. We've gotten away with playing a short backline but it makes me nervous and if Hamling's fit we don't have to.

Jong/Webb/Hamilton for Dale - Dale still looking the goods but give the guy a rest. I also feel it's a spot that could be rotated through a bit. Maybe get some game time into Jong before a possible finals campaign where he could be useful. Maybe give Hamilton his debut. Maybe give Webb another chance, he was really solid earlier and again could be another player we use in the finals. Or maybe just leave Dale in.
I'm thinking about the same. Although still undecided on Boyd/Redpath. Boyd certainly gives more in the ruck, but Redpath has been pretty good. If he nailed those 2 goals he would be a certainty. His goal kicking has been off which rightly or wrongly means his spot is under threat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo I wouldn't bring Boyd in after only one solid performance.
Redpath had an off game but in terms of games played he is younger than Boyd so it's to be expected. I wouldn't mess with the forward line when it seems to be functioning quite well.

I learned that all four of Boyd, Redpath, Stringer and Crameri don't go together. Crameri is better used as a pure forward, Stringer has ownership on one of the KPF spots (and our best forward) and Redpath is currently better suited on the lead. Although Boyd gives us that crucial long target (which we are going to need for the finals) and is a competent second ruck, he also is a great target down the line.

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

I'm not saying Redpath had a bad game, but I'd like to see anybody argue the logic behind Redpath having a better game than what Boyd would have had if he had played instead of Redpath.

Red's missed some key set shots since hes come back into the team - and that's his main job. Who knows how different the Geelong game could have been if he nailed that one after the siren?

Jong for Dale, Hamling for Prudden/Talia. But happy with everyone at the moment. Tough game for Talia on the best forward often. Hope he can develop into a new Morris in time. How good is Morris??

Don't think Bev will tinker with the team too much. But, just to keep things interesting I think he should keep his youth policy ticking over and consider Z Cordy. He makes one or two errors per game through inexperience but he is extremely competitive, can negate and attack effectively and his disposal is very sound. One more from the pipeline.

Hamling in for Prudden would give the backline a better balance given that Hamling is much more athletic, even though Prudden has shown he has something to work.

At the moment Redpath provides a much better mobile target leading up the ground than Boyd does, yet Boyd is more valuable deep not allowing defensive marks. They definitely shouldn't play together but I don't know who fits the side better at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think Bev will tinker with the team too much. But, just to keep things interesting I think he should keep his youth policy ticking over and consider Z Cordy. He makes one or two errors per game through inexperience but he is extremely competitive, can negate and attack effectively and his disposal is very sound. One more from the pipeline.
Skinny though very good

I'm not saying Redpath had a bad game, but I'd like to see anybody argue the logic behind Redpath having a better game than what Boyd would have had if he had played instead of Redpath.

Red's missed some key set shots since hes come back into the team - and that's his main job. Who knows how different the Geelong game could have been if he nailed that one after the siren?
I thought Red was a bit worse on the weekend than in previous weeks. I'd give him another week, because he has been quite good in other weeks, and he'd be stiff to go out after one mediocre game, especially since the rest of the forward line was working so well around him anyway. His set shot really needs work though, and he isn't as good as boyd under the high ball or in the ruck. I'm not really sure who I think would be better in the team out of him and boyd, as both have different attributes which can help the team.

Things that Redpath offers that Boyd doesn't:
  1. Forward pressure. I think the effects of having one weak point in our forward press are regularly underestimated. Red chases and tackles much more than boyd, and he hurts players when he tackles them. Players who are scared of getting tackled are more likely to make a poor decision.
  2. He leads. This has two important effects. It encourages our mids to lower their eyes, which they've done beautifully recently, rather than just bombing to the marking target in the square. It also opens up space and unsettles the opposition's zone. When red leads, his player needs to run with him, which opens up the space behind red for another player to lead into.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back