Changes vs Power

Remove this Banner Ad

The trouble with Hrovat at the moment is that he's making the easy difficult, whereas Caleb does the opposite.

I've always praised his vision, but lately he seems to be ignoring the options and backing himself into a corner.

It's not that I think he's being selfish, it's just a bad habit. He's one player that has actually suffered from the increase in tempo in the way we play footy, imo.

I'm one of his biggest fans, I know he's above the level of the VFL and I think he'll adjust, but right now I couldn't justify selecting him ahead of a number of our other smalls.

I'd leave the forward line as it is at the moment, it's functioning well. I didn't rate Redpath's game against what looked like a disinterested Carlisle, but he provided a lot of movement and was decent defensively. It wasn't the worst game ever. Plus I don't think Boyd is fully deserving of a spot in the side yet.

I think we need another tall defender though and Talia's work one on one is a major worry. He lost most of those battles one on one, we are just lucky Essendon didn't get it in there enough or with much purpose. If Roberts and Hamling are deemed fit enough, they play.
I understand that you may not rate Talia highly and that ok, it seems on this forum he divides opinions. However saying he lost most one on ones is biased at best. Talia performed well against Essendon. Perhaps in re watching the game you will notice how well he did do defensively. Ok it appears at this stage that he is not top echelon of key backs like a player like Rance who can beast an opponent and actually win the contest. Talia's skill is in halving a contest. Which I am fine with. There is another player in the team, a widely respected player, who has forged a career in doing just that. Having said that I do agree we need another tall defender in the team, just not for the reason you stated.

**** it, let's go all out.

FB: J.Kelly - M.Talia - Z.Cordy
HB: S.Darley - J.Hamling - M.Fuller
C: L.Webb - J.Prudden - L.Jong
HF: D.Hamilton - T.Boyd - B.Dale
FF: M.Honeychurch - J.Redpath - R.Smith
Fo: T.Campbell - C.Daniel - S.Biggs
Int: D.Pearce N.Hrovat A.Cordy L.Hunter

Average games: 11,72
Median games: 8.5
Under 50 games: everyone
Under 10 games: 12
Average Age 21.14

s**t, that's not too ridiculous of a team now that I look at it. Hrovat is Captain, Hunter VC.
If we've wrapped up a finals berth by R22 they could put this side out for the lols. Brisbane'll be tanking like mad to ensure a no1 and a priority. Could be the least experienced winning AFL side in history (and by 10 goals:p).

Those that want Jong in can you tell me who's place he takes?

I won't comment on his game on the weekend but who is he going to be better than and therefore deserve to take his spot?

Same with Hrovat? It's either Daniel Hunter or Dahl that does for him to get a game

Hamling for Talia is the only change I'd make

Those that want Jong in can you tell me who's place he takes?

I won't comment on his game on the weekend but who is he going to be better than and therefore deserve to take his spot?

Same with Hrovat? It's either Daniel Hunter or Dahl that does for him to get a game

Hamling for Talia is the only change I'd make

I bring in Jong for Prudden personally. We have a lot of guys still able to play the back flank role in Murphy, Boyd, Wood, JJ, Biggs even Hamling can give us a little run there with his pace. Jong gives us some added pace and hardness in the middle we could always use and makes us a better team than what Prudden brings atm in my opinion.

Wasn't it obvious that Wines was going in for surgery when he dislocated his shoulder? It looked like a bad one as soon as he did it.

Who takes wingard

I'm more player watching him than anything else
Tough to say. Last time we played you guys apparently the plan was "no one go near Wingard".

I hope we bring in another tall defender, then i'd play Morris on him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bev's more the type to try and worry him the other way. Otherwise I think Biggs is a decent match-up.
He is, but he's in bloody great form. I think we need to put a bit more of a defensive effort into him.
Biggs could work though.

Team defence worries about Wingard and then Wingard worries about seeing the burning heels of JJ, Wood and co.

Wonder if Moyd will have a rest this week?
I was thinking that. Hasn't been in the best form lately and would allow Hamling back in if we so choose. Maybe subbing him early will have given him the break he needs though?

I was thinking that. Hasn't been in the best form lately and would allow Hamling back in if we so choose. Maybe subbing him early will have given him the break he needs though?
Possibly so, just didn't seem right last week for some reason and also copped that knock from Daniher. Hopefully we can get a finals spot locked away asap and manage Boyd so he is cherry ripe for first week of finals, because we'll need him to be at his very best!

His numbers might indicate otherwise but IMO his disposal has been horrible the past fortnight, don't know what is going on there. I would like him to play, we are certainly not in a strong enough position to start resting players who are best 22.

I thought Jong played one good quarter and a half last week. He is improving bit by bit. He did one burst away that seems to have the pack drooling. But there are several things about his play that worry me.

1. Ball handling is still suspect. He seems to think quicker than he can act and consequently misses the clean pick up or receive. The ball seems to fly from his finger tips too often. Precision is what is missing in his game.

2. Sometimes I see him doing little 'jigs' outside the stoppages. Keeping himself mobile but without going in any direction. I can only assume this is under instruction so that not all players pile in, and his job is to try to block or receive the initial ball coming out. But I would like to see more straight lining of the contest.

3. He is a good mark but you don't see him doing it very often now. Is this because the commentators criticised him earlier for flying against our other forwards?

4. A bit like Cooney used to do, he coasts around the middle of the ground, I assume, to protect that patch. But it does take him away from the play more than I would like.

He just seems to get uninvolved in the play. Maybe this is also under instruction or part of his recovery as he only seems to attack the contest with any real urgency in a quarter here or there.

I'd be playing him at Footscray for another week just to get more football into him. Given he is not a natural footballer, it may well take him longer to become used to the rhythm and speed of the game.

Lol by rest Boyd I meant he may have a slight niggle. I wouldn't be risking him at all. Never said at all that we are in a position to rest players.

You talking level 3?
Because it's Port Adelaide I'm guessing that only the 2-3 bays on centre wing will be ticketed. This usually only includes the first couple of rows.

Yep, Level 3. I know when we played Carlton I think the first 10 rows were for away-game members, right around the ground (or at least as much as I saw before I chucked a fit and gave up :p), but I wasn't sure if that was just because it was a Big and/or Victorian club. Thanks for the information.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back