Primary changing careers from teaching..anyone done it?

Remove this Banner Ad

This figure cannot be right. 60k starting figure? Get outta here.

I was under the impression most teachers started out at about 50k, if that. Depending on location, school, private/state, disability, etc. They might get up to about 65 after a decade, but that is usually where it caps off.

Or my knowledge of Australian teaching wages could be way off.
Pay starts well

Doesn't go up very quickly and gets capped relatively early

In to 4th year now, nd any teacher working past 6pm is doing it wrong.

Ive basically been writing lessons/resources/assignments for every lesson I teach and didnt go past 5pm. Im very engaged in the classroom and never do my own work in classes. Teachers have to find ways of being more efficient with their time.

At my previous school especially, teachers would rather gossip and whinge about stuff rather than spending time doing it.

As a qualified teacher working in an 8-5 'real world' job where Im not actually doing anything that can benefit society, with my 20 days annual leave a year, I say fu*k to this, I want to go back to teaching...except there are no jobs in Perth.

I'm a casual replacement teacher, I rock up at 8.40 and finish at 3.30 and I'm outta there.

No parents, no feedback from anyone except the kids who aren't always the best judges.

I love my job. I've only ever been a CRT. Don't see why I should make myself unhappy by getting a full time job. I work the school holiday programs when the other teachers are off on their holidays which is a bit s**t but I can't complain as it's fairly painless.

I've decided to take a break from kids this holiday so if anyone is looking for a temp employee between 20th Sep and 7th October 2013 let me know. I'll give anything a go.

I'm a casual replacement teacher, I rock up at 8.40 and finish at 3.30 and I'm outta there.

No parents, no feedback from anyone except the kids who aren't always the best judges.

I love my job. I've only ever been a CRT. Don't see why I should make myself unhappy by getting a full time job. I work the school holiday programs when the other teachers are off on their holidays which is a bit s**t but I can't complain as it's fairly painless.

I've decided to take a break from kids this holiday so if anyone is looking for a temp employee between 20th Sep and 7th October 2013 let me know. I'll give anything a go.

I did CRT in Melbourne for a while but just found it wasn't consistent enough to earn a living all year round. No holiday pay and not much work first term or towards the end of the year. I also didn't like going to one school one day and a different one the next day. I found it very unfulfilling not being able to create a relationship with the students or other staff. Some schools the staff wouldn't even acknowledge you. How do you cope with this?

I'm interested because one day I will head back to Melbourne one day and will probably need to do CRT at least til I get a more permanent job.

This figure cannot be right. 60k starting figure? Get outta here.

I was under the impression most teachers started out at about 50k, if that. Depending on location, school, private/state, disability, etc. They might get up to about 65 after a decade, but that is usually where it caps off.

Or my knowledge of Australian teaching wages could be way off.

Im on just over 60k and been teaching for 4 years

Just found out via Facebook that mate I graduated with has left teaching to go back to uni. They said it was due to the lack of getting a guarenteed ongoing job in the 4 years since graduating (taught at a different school each year) :( that's two mates who have left the profession

Anyone who's a FT teacher and working past 6pm is definitely doing it wrong.It does depend on subject of course, but there is no need to re-invent the wheel, there are so many resources out there for you to use, TES for starters. I manage to run about 140km a week, watch a couple of games of AFL, keep the missus happy and get all my teaching stuff done and still fit in a bit of simcity. It's all about time management, and using all the resources you have available

I'm trying to get into the damn thing, got my degree in 2010, and travelled the world. Now back in Melbourne, trying to create contacts work. I have looked at different job opportunities, but wouldn't know where to start. I'm also doing the CRT thing in Melbourne at the moment :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone who's a FT teacher and working past 6pm is definitely doing it wrong.It does depend on subject of course, but there is no need to re-invent the wheel, there are so many resources out there for you to use, TES for starters. I manage to run about 140km a week, watch a couple of games of AFL, keep the missus happy and get all my teaching stuff done and still fit in a bit of simcity. It's all about time management, and using all the resources you have available

Nailed it. I find particular times of the year busy, but on the whole it's fine. First year or two you are busy but after that, if you're working beyond 6pm or more than 2 days out of a 2-week holiday period then you're doing it wrong.

12 weeks holiday a year is sweet. In fact I'm on holidays right now.

I could be in a leadership role or different job entirely that earns me more coin but work/life balance is very important to me.

You have to enjoy it though. It's not something that can be "tolerated". The kids know soon enough if you're winging it and not committed.

In to 4th year now, nd any teacher working past 6pm is doing it wrong.

Ive basically been writing lessons/resources/assignments for every lesson I teach and didnt go past 5pm. Im very engaged in the classroom and never do my own work in classes. Teachers have to find ways of being more efficient with their time.

At my previous school especially, teachers would rather gossip and whinge about stuff rather than spending time doing it.

Yep. I've taught year 12 every year since my grad year (fourth year out now), two year 12 classes last year, and doing coordination this year and have never stayed at school past 5pm except on PT nights. I get in early, get it done and get out of there at 4.30 on the dot.

I can count on one hand the times I have done work at home on a weeknight and while I will often devote a Sunday afternoon/evening to year 12 marking I know that for three months a year I'm basically relaxing. I was in China last holidays and didn't even think twice about work. People in my staffroom will spend hours complaining about the exam marking they have to do and sloooooowly mark them in a common workspace while I'll lock myself away for a two hour period, no distractions and get it done.

Teachers don't get paid enough to reinvent the wheel. I've got the common assessment tasks that we, as teachers, share collaboratively and then, from there, I just tweak, update and improve as needed.

Nailed it. I find particular times of the year busy, but on the whole it's fine. First year or two you are busy but after that, if you're working beyond 6pm or more than 2 days out of a 2-week holiday period then you're doing it wrong.

12 weeks holiday a year is sweet. In fact I'm on holidays right now.

I could be in a leadership role or different job entirely that earns me more coin but work/life balance is very important to me.

You have to enjoy it though. It's not something that can be "tolerated". The kids know soon enough if you're winging it and not committed.

Yep. I've taught year 12 every year since my grad year (fourth year out now), two year 12 classes last year, and doing coordination this year and have never stayed at school past 5pm except on PT nights. I get in early, get it done and get out of there at 4.30 on the dot.

I can count on one hand the times I have done work at home on a weeknight and while I will often devote a Sunday afternoon/evening to year 12 marking I know that for three months a year I'm basically relaxing. I was in China last holidays and didn't even think twice about work. People in my staffroom will spend hours complaining about the exam marking they have to do and sloooooowly mark them in a common workspace while I'll lock myself away for a two hour period, no distractions and get it done.

Teachers don't get paid enough to reinvent the wheel. I've got the common assessment tasks that we, as teachers, share collaboratively and then, from there, I just tweak, update and improve as needed.
May I ask in what type of school do you guys teach and what subjects?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back