Changing the Original Lions Guernsey/Clash Jumper Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hysteria25

All Australian
May 25, 2009
Anti-Clique HQ
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Before you ask - No, I'm not trying to bring back the 'paddlepop', I hate that damn thing!

Obviously as of next year the Lion's will be wearing the old lion that was made famous throughout the early days and our premiership years. I am absolutely stoked about this, and can't wait to buy one of these new/old guernseys. My question is, what would everyone think of a small change? I think that a yellow 'V' could look quite good and would really tie together our Bears/Fitzroy heritage. Check out this little mock up that I made below:

2i8zuih.jpg

s4m895.jpg

Obviously there are a lot of traditionalists here who wouldn't want to see change though as well, so I'm eager to hear your thoughts as to whether or not this alteration could work. Personally I love the idea of a 'V', it really ties together our Bears/Fitzroy heritage in a new way that can symbolize a new era for us. Would be great to see Dayne Beams wearing a Lions V Jumper when we acquire him this offseason ;)

Peace out,

- Matt

EDIT: Mock clash jumper:

24g5dfl.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not saying that the alteration necessarily has to be a 'V', but I think it would be a nice change that would symbolize a new era for us. Obviously there are a lot of traditionalists here who wouldn't want to see change though as well, so I'm eager to hear your thoughts as to whether or not an alteration could work.
I think getting a consensus agreement will be put in the 'too hard' basket (probably rightly, given the road travelled to this point), so the easiest path will be taken and that's a straight reversion.

eg I would be open to the blue on the back being raised to be similar to the current guernsey, but I'm realistic enough to know that's not going to be a universally shared opinion.

Perhaps in a few years the club can put out a members poll to test such changes, but I reckon let's just keep it simple for now.

I personally think that it is far too early to suggest any changes subtle or otherwise to the jumper, it should just be an exact replica of the premiership jumper nothing more.

Could it? Possibly. Your design harks back to the old Bears V which was quite a shallow V (which I don't mind).

But given members have votes to return to the premiership jumper I can't see anything along those lines changing.

I'd be a fan of darkening the blue which is a return to Fitzroy's roots. But "modern tweaks" are a slippery slope.

Before you ask - No, I'm not trying to bring back the 'paddlepop', I hate that damn thing!

Obviously as of next year the Lion's will be wearing the old lion that was made famous throughout the early days and our premiership years. My question is, what would everyone think if some minor alterations to the jumper were made? I think this would pay tribute to our history whilst providing a modern twist that we can identify the new breed of Lion's with. For example, I saw in another thread that a 'V' could look quite good, so I made a little mock up.

2i8zuih.jpg

I'm not saying that the alteration necessarily has to be a 'V', but I think it would be a nice change that would symbolize a new era for us. Obviously there are a lot of traditionalists here who wouldn't want to see change though as well, so I'm eager to hear your thoughts as to whether or not an alteration could work.
Perfect. I made a post in a thread wanting to see this design (can't use photo editing to save myself) and it looks great imo. Has the Fitzroy Lion and a touch of the Bears thrown in. Can't see how it can go wrong.

Perfect. I made a post in a thread wanting to see this design (can't use photo editing to save myself) and it looks great imo. Has the Fitzroy Lion and a touch of the Bears thrown in. Can't see how it can go wrong.

You could say changes like that are the thin end of a paddlepop..

Indeed, I remember asking for the same thing.

I quite like that. (personal opinion warning, read at own risk :)) I honestly completely respect the Fitzroy Lion, and have adopted it as the real Brisbane Lion logo as well. However I have always felt a bit... bitter (I guess?) about the Bears losing a lot of their on-field identity with the merge (I know, it's still a Brisbane based club but stay with me) - we kept a maroon in the post-merge jumper, but it's a deeper tone than what the Bears wore - and Fitzroy wore maroon as well up until what, 1973 I think. Couple this with the way we now wear the Fitzroy red as our away jumper I have always felt that the Bears were completely unrepresented in our jumper away from a home game.

I like the V in that design because I feel it is a direct nod to the last Bears jumper V, which also had yellow in it. I really wouldn't mind seeing that on the field, to me this represents a true merge of the clubs. I'm sure it would also look striking with the Fitzroy red in an away strip.

Like I already mentioned that's all personal opinion - so apologies if it rubs some people the wrong way. I'm not trying to stir the pot. And at the end of the day, I'd really be happy just to see the original Brisbane Lions jumper back on the field - that move alone would symbolize a righting of a lot of wrongs that we've seen in the management of the club in recent times. But if they were to make a modification, this is certainly one I wouldn't have a problem with.

Obviously as of next year the Lion's will be wearing the old lion that was made famous throughout the early days and our premiership years. My question is, what would everyone think if some minor alterations to the jumper were made? I think this would pay tribute to our history whilst providing a modern twist that we can identify the new breed of Lion's with. For example, I saw in another thread that a 'V' could look quite good, so I made a little mock up.

2i8zuih.jpg

Yeah i reckon it looks really good if that was for sale tomorrow i would buy it straight away mate good job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks, I happen to feel the same way! Hopefully enough people view/comment on this thread and we can get our voice heard!

Its good to see the Traditional and modern era put into the jumper would be interesting to see the away and clash versions off it though

The away one is awesome an idea for the clash could be maroon top half the bottum half yellow like the brisbane bears but then a blue lion and finish do you reck that could work

Remove this Banner Ad

Back