Prediction Chaplin Being Phased Out

Remove this Banner Ad

He should never have been on our list as we weren't ready for a prized recruit at that time of the rebuild. He was never that and Flair Fartley got it all wrong
I hope he gets delisted at seasons end bc his contract is up and we can put our money into some real use

We wanted a gorilla as Petrie and Cloke had torn Rance to shreds in games.... so we went and got a bloke who likes to be a 3rd man up and who's favourite tactic one-out is to throw himself to his knees and hope :cool::confused:

I'm not sure if I'm more pissed off with Chaplin or Blair....

We wanted a gorilla as Petrie and Cloke had torn Rance to shreds in games.... so we went and got a bloke who likes to be a 3rd man up and who's favourite tactic one-out is to throw himself to his knees and hope :cool::confused:

They're both been screwing up for years.

He's filled a pretty important role for us while our backline has developed
I do think its time to phase him out now though

If Astbury is killing it in pre-season he has Chaplin's spot. Can remember his pre-injury form and he was nigh unbeatable 1:1 and set us up from deep in defense. I've got no beef with Troy though he's held the beer while the other guys have been made to earn their place. If they're at a stage where they're a better option they've got the job.

Thank god. He gave good service for 1 season whilst our young backs were developing. Terrible one on one defender with no rebounding skills. Assuming Grimes and Astbury fit he should not be in our 22.

Yeah he's always been terrific when he's by himself chopping off long balls but one on one he's a witches hat.

140915_gif_4.gif

makes me cry every time
Why put us through it againnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Yeah he's always been terrific when he's by himself chopping off long balls but one on one he's a witches hat.

To be fair we did actually have a need of a senior KPD after losing Thirsty, Kel etc. and Rance probably being our most senior backman at 22/23. Chaplin allowed our young backs to develop and provided experience during that period but that is about all I will give him credit for.

To be fair we did actually have a need of a senior KPD after losing Thirsty, Kel etc. and Rance probably being our most senior backman at 22/23. Chaplin allowed our young backs to develop and provided experience during that period but that is about all I will give him credit for.
We were short of a KPD when those 2 that you mentioned left, however think we needed a gorilla able to match it with the big KPFs. Having said that maybe that type wasn't available at the time.
When we look for a replacement for Chaplin (if its not Elton,Astbury ) I hope we are very selective because it's an important piece in the jigsaw. We have the 3rd tall position down back covered but desperately need another genuine key defender

people under rate Chaplins importance. I still remember the game he didnt play last year (against Melbourne) as the only time Rance got comprehensively flogged all year. Coincidence i dont think so. in saying that he should be getting phased out, the only way i see this happening is if Astbury can play the lock down role allowing Rance to play as the third tall.

Also worth noting we got him as a FA and didnt give up a draft pick. And before everyone bangs on about his cost, his salary was not stupid especially considering he was a FA and they usually cost over market value.

His experience and leadership has played a massive part in the development of a top 4 defense. in saying that, I would like to see Astbury go past him this season at some stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people under rate Chaplins importance. I still remember the game he didnt play last year (against Melbourne) as the only time Rance got comprehensively flogged all year. Coincidence i dont think so. in saying that he should be getting phased out, the only way i see this happening is if Astbury can play the lock down role allowing Rance to play as the third tall.
fans say Rance got flogged, but imo he didn't. He had 2 kicked on directly( 1 indirectly), and a couple of marks as well. That to me isn't a comprehensive smashing.

We were short of a KPD when those 2 that you mentioned left, however think we needed a gorilla able to match it with the big KPFs. Having said that maybe that type wasn't available at the time.
When we look for a replacement for Chaplin (if its not Elton,Astbury ) I hope we are very selective because it's an important piece in the jigsaw. We have the 3rd tall position down back covered but desperately need another genuine key defender

Mcbean?????

You reckon it's worth a shot ? We'd have to make the call now and start playing him down back in the 2's. It would be a big call.

put him on a peptide reginme to fatten him up , play him down back in the VFL team, he is young can adapt, look at Mcguane came to us as a gun junior forward, we turned him into a gun defender then moved him forward again.

He allowed what young backs to develop. Rance was established in 2013 chaplins first yr. Rance has been our best defender since Chaplin came, so that rules him out.. We only had the rookie Darrou who is long gone and two blokes who started out as forwards in Astbury and Elton.Three years on and one of our biggest problems is we still dont have any young backs developing.Who really believes we have had enough young kpds go thru our sytems.

List management in this area has been nothing short of awful.It is not as if there has not been a plethora of highly rated juniors available to us in drafts and there has been a hell of a lot of mature kpds up for grabs.We have ignored the lot and the only conclusion can be they are happy with the list.
I have said this before,only at Richmond would you go into a season with only Chaplin Astbury and Elton as support to Rance and expect to finish top 4..
We only have one high quality tall defender and is seems like we have stopped looking for another happy with very average players in support.

Why is it so many of us totally ignore how other teams structure up. We only need to look at our last game to see the need for change, not just with our tall defenders but mediums as well.
If Chaplin has to go and it seems most posters think this, then the need is not for his replacement, but his replacement and one other.IN FACT two kpds.
If we are to learn from the past then it is very likely Chaplin will play every game and one of Astbury or Elton will really need to step up.
Lets look at our last game
Petrie 197/101, who takes him Chaplin lol. Waite 194/94 being the most mobile and a strong mark Rance takes him. Who takes Ben Brown 199/99!!!! Batchelor we are kidding ourselves.Go look at most sides this sort of structure is what they will throw at us.We cant expect Rance to do it all himself last year he basically did. God help us if he cops a bad injury.He had over 200 one percenters in an effort to be everywhere.

As much as i dislike Chaplin as a player i have no doubt he will play most games and he will do that out of need.We dont have any choice in the matter there is no one else.

Also worth noting we got him as a FA and didnt give up a draft pick. And before everyone bangs on about his cost, his salary was not stupid especially considering he was a FA and they usually cost over market value.

His experience and leadership has played a massive part in the development of a top 4 defense. in saying that, I would like to see Astbury go past him this season at some stage.
Has served his purpose, his time as a b22 KPD in our evolving list are over. I imagine he will play r1 barring injury but the pressure on him from the opposition will eventually force the MC to tap him on the shoulder and lower the curtain on his career. Didn't mind his recruitment at the time but time he is now a depth player in the VFL. Taking the spot needed by Astbury/Elton

He allowed what young backs to develop. Rance was established in 2013 chaplins first yr. Rance has been our best defender since Chaplin came, so that rules him out.. We only had the rookie Darrou who is long gone and two blokes who started out as forwards in Astbury and Elton.Three years on and one of our biggest problems is we still dont have any young backs developing.Who really believes we have had enough young kpds go thru our sytems.

List management in this area has been nothing short of awful.It is not as if there has not been a plethora of highly rated juniors available to us in drafts and there has been a hell of a lot of mature kpds up for grabs.We have ignored the lot and the only conclusion can be they are happy with the list.
I have said this before,only at Richmond would you go into a season with only Chaplin Astbury and Elton as support to Rance and expect to finish top 4..
We only have one high quality tall defender and is seems like we have stopped looking for another happy with very average players in support.

Why is it so many of us totally ignore how other teams structure up. We only need to look at our last game to see the need for change, not just with our tall defenders but mediums as well.

If Chaplin has to go and it seems most posters think this, then the need is not for his replacement, but his replacement and one other.IN FACT two kpds.
If we are to learn from the past then it is very likely Chaplin will play every game and one of Astbury or Elton will really need to step up.
Lets look at our last game
Petrie 197/101, who takes him Chaplin lol. Waite 194/94 being the most mobile and a strong mark Rance takes him. Who takes Ben Brown 199/99!!!! Batchelor we are kidding ourselves.Go look at most sides this sort of structure is what they will throw at us.We cant expect Rance to do it all himself last year he basically did. God help us if he cops a bad injury.He had over 200 one percenters in an effort to be everywhere.

As much as i dislike Chaplin as a player i have no doubt he will play most games and he will do that out of need.We dont have any choice in the matter there is no one else.

Our defence is not the problem or reason for us not finishing top 4.... silly call. They killed it all year. Selection gamble in the final.... however if our mids had at least broken even, we would have won the game by 8 goals.... an absolute shellacking in the contest and we still only lost by a couple of goals... Had TV kicked the soda and the ump not have had a momentary brain lapse when Titch caught the North bloke, we still could have won playing crap footy... But the defensive end was not the problem (albeit Chaplin's brain fart with Nahas didn't help)....

spudded it up in the final no doubt. but there is no coincidence that since he has been with us we have been one of the top defences in the comp does his role most times and allows tross to be what he is. astbury has promise but gets to injured. Elton is the biggest spud on the list wont make it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back