Prediction Chaplin Being Phased Out

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely we couldn't go into 2017 with him as our 2nd KPD behind Rance. Can't see him improving and with some really good big forwards emerging we can't leave it all to Rance.
I take it you're not confident of somebody currently on the list stepping up?
nope.sadly as mopsy stated we are thin in this area

Answer just one question. Where is the defense at if Rance is lost for the season. He is just one player yet It is almost a one man defense when it comes to talls.He has to do it all for us. until this yr our best 1v1 defender had to the rebounding, finally he got some help last yr with houli, He dominates intercept mark spoils desperation acts and it goes on the gap back to the rest of the defenders in these things is not a gap its a freakin chasm.
It would not be hard to improve on our kpp stocks because we only have two high quality kpps on the list.You are kidding yourself if you think other wise.

We had the what 1st or 2nd best ranked defense when it comes to conceding points, and on face value we go wow they did well. We won 15 games, and i would argue the defense in the majority of our wins had little to do, we came fourth for conceding the fewest inside 50s in games.
Most sides would have been taking it into our defensive zone 45 50 times a game.
It is what happens when they have been pressured and have to actually spend time defending.Too often players are caught out and found wanting..
I say you are kidding yourself if you think our defense is good enough and can't be significantly improved upon..
Really good defenses win big games for you because they stand up when your own mids are getting pumped and the pressure is really on. They stand up and make the difference, we only have one player who has shown himself capable of doing this on a consistent basis. it is why everyone thiNks of him as a high quality kpp.
Sometimes we have to take stats for what they are and actually add the missing pieces in to get the whole story..

I think if you re-read my post you will see that I am laying the blame fairly and squarely on our mids for that final performance.... as you just did. I don't remember saying that our defence can't be improved on.... it can, Chaplin being the first to go/replaced... but if the mids continue to be insipid with contested ball it won't matter who is down back. Having said that, our defence was pretty solid all year, reason being that the majority of the time they played with the same 6-8 guys there. Batch is a problem when he has to play tall.... Grimes could do that better in my opinion (and someone else could be drafted/traded) to address this further if Astbury/Elton/Broad aren't the answers.... or put McIntosh there (not my preferred option).....

Surely we couldn't go into 2017 with him as our 2nd KPD behind Rance. Can't see him improving and with some really good big forwards emerging we can't leave it all to Rance.
I take it you're not confident of somebody currently on the list stepping up?
Lol ive been saying surely we could not go into 2015 and now 2016 with him as our 2nd KPD behind Rance.His first two seasons with us was more than enough for me.
Again i reiterate the other KPD options as few as they are have shown themselves to be no where near Chaplins level.
If not injured Chaplin will play every game this year you can bank it.
I argue that even with Chaplin in the team we are a tall defender short given Grimes does not play on talls and when he has has struggled.Further more Batchelor does not have the attributes to do either role to a consistent high standard.
Are people watching our games, Grimes is given the job on most opposition small players.Regardless he is too small to play on big kpf's.

We continue to place all of our eggs in too few baskets.Astbury and Elton are both struggling yet they are the only other options we have atm.
How any side aspiring to be top 4 can go into a season with that sort of list structure is beyond me. It is typical tiger list management, just ignore the problems until they become critical.

Last edited:
Completely agree, esp where Batch takes over from Vlastuin as the small defender. That is the position up for grabs for him. If Vlastuin plays back, he doesn't play imo.
What attributes does Batchelor bring to the table to actually play on and defend small forwards.
Grimes actually performs that role and has done okay. Imo like Batchelor he has never been physically up to playing on talls.He may be tall but he does not play tall very well. He is tall but performs on smalls to a decent level.
My gripe with Houli, Vlastuin, Batchelor is they have at no time shown an ability to shut down small forwards.It has been left up to blokes like morris to try and now Grimes.Houli in particular has got off scot free in this regard. Here we have a small who is never expected to defend other smalls.On the plus side he knows where to get a kick and provides run, something you can't say about Grimes, Vlastuin and Batchelor. Little wonder they are looking to Yarran to address rebound problems.

Last edited:
Lol ive been saying surely we could not go into 2015 and now 2016 with him as our 2nd KPD behind Rance.His first two seasons with us was more than enough for me.
Again i reiterate the other KPD options as few as they are have shown themselves to be no where near Chaplins level.
If not injured Chaplin will play every game this year you can bank it.
I argue that even with Chaplin in the team we are a tall defender short given Grimes does not play on talls and when he has has struggled.Further more Batchelor does not have the attributes to do either role to a consistent high standard.
Are people watching our games, Grimes is given the job on most opposition small players.Regardless he is too small to play on big kpf's.

We continue to place all of our eggs in too few baskets.Astbury and Elton are both struggling yet they are the only other options we have atm.
How any side aspiring to be top 4 can go into a season with that sort of list structure is beyond me. It is typical tiger list management, just ignore the problems until they become critical.

Bookmarked the bit about him playing every game Mopsy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly the best news out of the intra-club match report
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-12/dustin-martin-stars-in-richmond-intraclub-match
The leading draftee pushing to step into that squad is Nathan Broad, who stood out in the backline, taking strong marks and combining well with David Astbury and Nick Vlastuin to rebound.

The 22-year-old WAFL product has impressed the Tigers all pre-season and could challenge for a round-one berth in a backline that is starting to appear deep.

Highlighting that depth, regular key defender Troy Chaplin was used forward for the duration of Friday's match in a sign that he could be set for a new role.
Hopefully a VFL role

What attributes does Batchelor bring to the table to actually play on and defend small forwards.
Grimes actually performs that role and has done okay. Imo like Batchelor he has never been physically up to playing on talls.He may be tall but he does not play tall very well. He is tall but performs on smalls to a decent level.
My gripe with Houli, Vlastuin, Batchelor is they have at no time shown an ability to shut down small forwards.It has been left up to blokes like morris to try and now Grimes.Houli in particular has got off scot free in this regard. Here we have a small who is never expected to defend other smalls.On the plus side he knows where to get a kick and provides run, something you can't say about Grimes, Vlastuin and Batchelor. Little wonder they are looking to Yarran to address rebound problems.
I think you are harsh on Batch, as he can defend ok, but just not on the really tall players. he is only 188cm, so not that tall at all. I also did say that IF Vlastuin goes into the middle, then Batch plays his role, which allows Grimes to play the 3rd tall role and can run off his man.

I think you are harsh on Batch, as he can defend ok, but just not on the really tall players. he is only 188cm, so not that tall at all. I also did say that IF Vlastuin goes into the middle, then Batch plays his role, which allows Grimes to play the 3rd tall role and can run off his man.
Like this, I think Batch is just as capable of doing Vlastuin's role, whom I'd love to see in the midfield. We may just have found a good one in Townsend though so keeping Vlas down back will be a good thing too.
Batch may well be competing with Broad, who has a good 5cm on him and plenty more pace apparently. Will come down to how well Broad can read the play at AFL level.

Chaplin has served his purpose, its time he was moved on and only used in case injury strikes.

He is too slow and his reaction time gets worse every year.

Batch and Grimes both go in hard and enjoy body contact.

They don't have to be able to shut down the Rougheads' and Hawkins', just play their role and go in hard when it is their turn.

For about the 100th time im asking what is Batchelors role. We know Grimes is now playing on the smaller types and finally going alright,I would not say he goes in hard either but thats another debate.
But what about Batchelor? It is a simple question what is his role? Going in hard by itself is not good enough..Gets toweled up against the bigger blokes, doesnt play on the quicker small and medium forwards because of his pace and provides little run.
It is a serious question if Houli is there for rebound he is certainly not there to defend, Grimes is there to shut down the quick smalls he is not there to play on the big blokes and vlastuin is there to play on the medium strong marking types and intercept. where does that leave Batchelor. We have seen the folly in playing a non athlete like Batch who is only 188cm on talls.

Like everyone my favorite players tends to be blokes like Batch AND Morris who crack in but as stated there is so much more to the game than just having a red hot go.

Don't know what people see on Batchelor. Really just an average player and can be so easily upgraded. For his height he's so sloooooow it's not funny
Doing our 1 to 30 rating today was so difficult bc our list falls away so quickly after the top ten
We need to look at all candidates that failed us in the final last year and upgrade the ones least likely to improve us. Batchelor and Chaplin spring to mind instantly

I didn't know what all the hate was about until I watched a few games this weekend and closely watched Bachelor. He is friggin useless at spoiling....absolute softc&/k.
Surprised me considering he tackles so hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back