Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Future draft picks to the Suns could be incorporated somehow due to the Suns likely needing them next year to grab an academy boy or two likely to be higher up in the draft.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So in essence your saying Suns need to give Port their second pick back because Port are taking a risk on a guy with injury concerns? Here is a concept. Don't go for him or offer a pick around 10-15. If your club wants Dixon then it is your job to get the deal done with the Suns. It's not the Suns job to compensate your draft picks or injury concerns.

Anyway we can agree to disagree. We are going around in circles. Clearly i am not a suns supporter. Your club certainly did well in obtaining both Polec and Ryder for well under what they were worth. If you get another result with Dixon good luck to you and your club. But remember their will be a time when a player from your club will want out and clubs will play hard ball with your club.

theteamtobeat

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So you are saying if a player has an injury concern , that if a team is willing to trade for that player the injury concern , or the fact they only play around 13 games a season cannot be factored in by the teams at all

o_O

That is a bizarre argument.

Pick 7 is a bit too much for port to give up for Dixon in my opinion. Hence why I say instead of port offering a lower pick , of which would be too low in my opinion , that getting a pick back (and gcs 2nd rounder would be gcs 4th pick , it is hardly something inconceivably impossible to ask for) makes sense.

Otherwise port could trade that pick 7 for a later 1st and 2nd and and send the later first ie pick 10/11/12/13/14 to gcs. But that is more complicated and gcs would probably be happier with the first option.

In my opinion if it was a straight trade of pick 7 for Dixon port is too much at risk and should not gamble that amount. Regardless of what gcs would want port would be better served to walk away and leave gcs and Dixon to negotiate amongst themselves.

I also believe that gc would not push for pick 7 and reject anything else.

I also believe that even ignoring the premise that Dixon chooses port , no other team isn't going to blow ports offers out of the water to the point gcs have cause to complain about ports offers. Bris and freo likely would not come close to offering something like pick 7.

Doubtful that gc would want to go to war over this with port , and vice versa. I highly doubt port asking for a pick back is taken badly by gcs to the point they consider it a spit in the face and want to retaliate by shipping Dixon elsewhere in the psd.

The irony of this is if you take a stroll through every other trade thread here you will see 2nd round picks being offered for every player here or it's the psd being thrown around. I'm hardly spitting in the face of gcs supporters by suggesting a 2nd rounder back with Dixon for pick 7.
I think Port will be trying to trade their pick 7 for a later pick and upgrading their second pick. Just like in the Polec deal when you guys had pick 14, but were to much of a cheap-skate to just hand over pick 14, which by the way was more then fair.

I reckon Gold Coast will get pick 7 for him though because you can't use the pre-season draft as a threat and their is strong interest from your cross town rivals Adelaide, Fremantle and Brisbane.

Last edited:
If Port are too scared to take Dixon with his ankles and want something back i'm sure Brisbane would be fine offering something much better. The best thing for the Suns is to create a bidding war. He might only be worth an end of first round pick but that doesn't matter if other clubs want him.

What is Brisbane willing to offer better than 7 and late pick swap (out of interest )

Well the Suns are more likely to take that. If Brisbane offer better than Port then Port will have to drastically improve their offer otherwise the won't get him.

Yes but what are Brisbane going to offer better than that ?

It's easy to say if Brisbane offer more - but they won't use pick two - so what will they use ?

Also they need to then convince Dixon to go there.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yes but what are Brisbane going to offer better than that ?

It's easy to say if Brisbane offer more - but they won't use pick two - so what will they use ?

Also they need to then convince Dixon to go there.
A player? A future draft pick? They may even get a priority pick so pick 2 for Dixon and pick 25. Hard to tell now as nothing is official. We don't even know if Port are offering pick 7 there may be a player that wants to come to GC.

A player? A future draft pick? They may even get a priority pick so pick 2 for Dixon and pick 25. Hard to tell now as nothing is official. We don't even know if Port are offering pick 7 there may be a player that wants to come to GC.

If you get a priority (which you won't) there's no way on earth you aren't taking them both to the draft.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If you get a priority (which you won't) there's no way on earth you aren't taking them both to the draft.
I'm talking about Brisbane here not Gold Coast. There is a strong chance they will get one. They need experience forwards and Dixon is at a good age then use pick 1 for Weitering down back plus still get a pick from GC at the end of the first round. Just an option.

If Port are too scared to take Dixon with his ankles and want something back i'm sure Brisbane would be fine offering something much better. The best thing for the Suns is to create a bidding war. He might only be worth an end of first round pick but that doesn't matter if other clubs want him.

Bidding war involves cash to the player generally. Best you could hope for is a situation like Mitch Clark, where you get low balled and someone else comes in and offers Charlie an easy transition (Better compensation to the Suns) and decent/more coin.

QPower

Premiership Player
Jan 1, 2006
The Chestnut Tree Cafe
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port
After all the trade hyperventilation by supporters is done:

1. Dixson will tell the Suns he will only go to the club of his choice
2.Other clubs try in vain the muscle in on the trade
3. GC will get unders late in trade period after a stand-off but not by so much that it hurts too badly (especially given GC are drowning in honey in respect to 1st round draft picks).

This how these things generally play out.

Hawks are sniffing around is what I'm hearing

What's funny is your proposed trade that's a done deal : Suckling and Grimley for Dixon. Trolling level=beginner

Suckling is an unrestricted free agent and Grimley is a rookie list player.

would definitely not say they are shrewd traders, they have generally held all the other teams at ransom with off contract players choosing them (except Ryder who wasn't off contract but its much publicized his circumstances) and them low balling the other team until they give in due to the threat of the PSD
I think Port will be trying to trade their pick 7 for a later pick and upgrading their second pick. Just like in the Polec deal when you guys had pick 14, but were to much of a cheap-skate to just hand over pick 14, which by the way was more then fair.
Bit of rewriting history here. Out of the "go home 4" (Docherty, Yeo, Polec, Longer) Port were the only one to come to the table with a first round pick. Longer went to St Kilda for 25,
Docherty went to Carlton for 33
Yeo (the best performed of the lot) went to West Coast for 28.
Polec was injury-riddled and could barely get on the park, Port's 14 for Polec + 21 was pretty good faith by Port I thought and your list manager at the time agreed when interviewed on Adelaide radio.
I reckon Gold Coast will get pick 7 for him though because you can't use the pre-season draft as a threat and their is strong interest from your cross town rivals Adelaide, Fremantle and Brisbane.
Port don't play the PSD line so let's not even pretend that's an option.

Prior to Dixon's ankle revelations I was all for a straight Pick 7 swap, although I think now we've all been made aware about his injury limitations a pick somewhere between our first and second round will get the job done. Gold Coast are in the enviable position with having arguably the best KPF stocks in the comp in Lynch, Day and Wright, and with another swag of high picks to come won't feel the loss as strongly as some clubs might. Will be nice having that bash and crash forward to straighten us up, which we haven't really had since Tredrea.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bit of rewriting history here. Out of the "go home 4" (Docherty, Yeo, Polec, Longer) Port were the only one to come to the table with a first round pick. Longer went to St Kilda for 25,
Docherty went to Carlton for 33
Yeo (the best performed of the lot) went to West Coast for 28.
Polec was injury-riddled and could barely get on the park, Port's 14 for Polec + 21 was pretty good faith by Port I thought and your list manager at the time agreed when interviewed on Adelaide radio.

youve having a laugh mate the pick we got was pick 22, dont try to sound noble saying you gave away pick 14, you basically downgraded a first round pick 7 spots to pick up an elite talent

youve having a laugh mate the pick we got was pick 22, dont try to sound noble saying you gave away pick 14, you basically downgraded a first round pick 7 spots to pick up an elite talent

It was a complicated deal went like
Port gained Polec, 21, 45
Lost 14, 34

GWS gained 14, 29
Lost 21,22,48

Brisbane Gained: 22, 34(edit), 48
Lost Polec 29, 45

Pretty good deal on Ports behalf, like all Yeo, Docherty and Longer Brisbane got the short end. It's a good example of what Port will try and do I think.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Lost 14, 34

GWS gained 14
Lost 21,22,48

Brisbane Gained: 22, 45, 48
Lost Polec 29, 45

Pretty good deal on Ports behalf, like all Yeo, Docherty and Longer Brisbane got the short end. It's a good example of what Port will try and do I think.
yeah exactly just trying to let old mate know real facts about his supposed high and mighty club

they held West Coast at ransom and gave them pick 28 and a swap of third round picks for a player selected 12 three years prior

they took monfries a pretty established player for essendon for pick 51...this isnt bargain basement smart trading it is holding clubs at ransom and just being crap blokes

youve having a laugh mate the pick we got was pick 22
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-24/port-secures-polec-in-afl-trade/5044228
The Giants also sent the second-round number 21 pick to Port in exchange for the first-round number 14 selection.
And either way it's semantics. 21, 22. Does it really matter that much? Cripes. And FYI there was more to it than that with GWS coming to the table if you're going to nitpick. As soon as you made that point I knew the rest of your post would be typically petty.
dont try to sound noble saying you gave away pick 14, you basically downgraded a first round pick 7 spots to pick up an elite talent
And bingo, here we are, suspicion confirmed. I stated the trade and said that even your list manager said that Port had come to the table more than the other clubs.

But hey, we're two flogs on an internet forum, this is a pointless argument, not really interested in continuing it.
Lost 14, 34

GWS gained 14
Lost 21,22,48

Brisbane Gained: 22, 45, 48
Lost Polec 29, 45

Yep in hindsight it was great for Port considering by all reports we had our eyes on Impey with the pick anyway and the way in which Polec came on.

Couldn't believe the Yeo and Docherty trades at the time and I still don't. Yeo in particular had all the hallmarks of a star at the time even if the press outside of Queensland hadn't picked up on it yet

they held West Coast at ransom and gave them pick 28 and a swap of third round picks for a player selected 12 three years prior

they took monfries a pretty established player for essendon for pick 51...this isnt bargain basement smart trading it is holding clubs at ransom and just being crap blokes

I don't remember any ransoms on the Ebert trade, there was a holdup as we got our hands on another pick, but once we got that the trade went through fast, in fact I think it was mentioned at the time an in principle deal was done very early.

Raising monfries is just stupid. It was a manufactured trade to avoid free agency to give Essendon something (as they had traded in Goddard) while ensuring port didn't lose its fa compo. As such both clubs came out in front.

Ruse

Club Legend
Jan 25, 2007
KFC Dumpster
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Its Always Sunny
After all the trade hyperventilation by supporters is done:

1. Dixson will tell the Suns he will only go to the club of his choice
2.Other clubs try in vain the muscle in on the trade
3. GC will get unders late in trade period after a stand-off but not by so much that it hurts too badly (especially given GC are drowning in honey in respect to 1st round draft picks).

This how these things generally play out.
OMG you are literally the only person to ever say this on bigfooty ever.

Well done being the most awesome guy on the planet.

Back