Rumour Charlie Dixon

Remove this Banner Ad

To me the money is only part of the equation.

The other part has to be what we would have to give up to get him. As I understand it he is not eligible for FA until after next season so we would have to trade or get him in the PSD. If he went to the PSD it is doubtful that we would be the only ones bidding. I am not sure about the PSD rules but as I understand it anyone who meets your contract terms can take you in the PSD with the bid order based on the picks left from the ND. I am assuming that we will be further back in the order than most of the other teams who would want him.
Given this I would assume that to get him we will either have to give up a talented player (read established 22 player or 1st round pick draftee) or a high (first round) draft pick. The question then becomes is the juice worth the squeeze.
I can't think of someone who would get a straight player trade done who I would be comfortable loosing. GC is lacking in the rucks department but we have just extended Griff and Sandi and I don't see either Moller or Hannath having the currency. Clarke might get it done but I don't think he is a realistic trade for us. Would I trade a round 1 pick for Dixon? Depends on who will be there at our pick and I suspect that this year our pick will be late in the round and we have enough mid depth that we can actually afford to that this year. But, and here's the kicker, we don't trade the round 1 pick under Bond.

I just don't see a scenario where we can realistically get him. I think this is a smart price war thing.

To me the money is only part of the equation.

The other part has to be what we would have to give up to get him. As I understand it he is not eligible for FA until after next season so we would have to trade or get him in the PSD. If he went to the PSD it is doubtful that we would be the only ones bidding. I am not sure about the PSD rules but as I understand it anyone who meets your contract terms can take you in the PSD with the bid order based on the picks left from the ND. I am assuming that we will be further back in the order than most of the other teams who would want him.
Given this I would assume that to get him we will either have to give up a talented player (read established 22 player or 1st round pick draftee) or a high (first round) draft pick. The question then becomes is the juice worth the squeeze.
I can't think of someone who would get a straight player trade done who I would be comfortable loosing. GC is lacking in the rucks department but we have just extended Griff and Sandi and I don't see either Moller or Hannath having the currency. Clarke might get it done but I don't think he is a realistic trade for us. Would I trade a round 1 pick for Dixon? Depends on who will be there at our pick and I suspect that this year our pick will be late in the round and we have enough mid depth that we can actually afford to that this year. But, and here's the kicker, we don't trade the round 1 pick under Bond.

I just don't see a scenario where we can realistically get him. I think this is a smart price war thing.
Nobody else will offer him that kind of money. We could grab him in the PSD easily imo. But I think our first will get it done, if Dixon was to nominate for the national draft we would take him with our first pick so I am not sure why we wouldn't give it up for him in a trade.

Got no idea what our salary cap is looking like but if he's willing to come and we've got the cash I'd happily pay overs (700-800k) to get Dixon. While its all well and good to say we should save our money for Hogan, McCarthy etc who knows if that will ever be a possibility. If we don't get a quality KPF in that midrange 23-27 age bracket we are going to fall down the ladder anyway in the next couple of years, might as well give Dixon a shot if we can get him.

hill + a first rounder would probably be the requirement.

Hill isn't exactly setting the world on fire at the moment. I'd consider it.

I'd do it for Hogan, not for McCarthy.

I'd take him in a heartbeat for a reasonable price. I'd take any half decent KPF in a heartbeat at the moment.

A mill a year is way overs though.
Im not sure where the 1 million a year contract is coming from. Ive only heard he wants 750K, which is significantly less obviously. If you want a realistic trade then perhaps Clarke to Essendon and our first pick for their (Essendon's) first pick and a second rounder with Essendon's first pick and second pick then ontraded for Dixon. The "thanks Cameron Schwab" comment always gets used here when you present a realistic trade. That is the minimal amount it would take for Gold Coast to pull the trigger on trading a player who has looked liked a dominant force at times in his career.

I reckon GC would ask for our first rounder and Weller tbh not that we'd ever come remotely close to matching that.

Will be hard to get a trade done for Dixon let alone Hogan or McCarthy

I reckon GC would ask for our first rounder and Weller tbh not that we'd ever come remotely close to matching that.

Will be hard to get a trade done for Dixon let alone Hogan or McCarthy

Absolutely no way we would be giving Weller + 1st.

A question to consider, is he worth the same/more or less then Ryder?

Ryder went for pick 17 + 37. My answer to that question would probably be "SAME", certainly not worth more. Remembering that he is uncontracted and Ryder still had time to run on his deal.

Out first pick should fall between 15 & 18 so thats a starting point. We wouldn't be offering a second pick with him so we would either need to stand pat on that or offer up a mid-range player to get the deal done.

We wont be giving up:
1st + 2nd
1st + Weller
Weller + Anything
1st + Clarke
You can take that to the bank.

Hogan or McCarthy i would do any of the above. That said, the only thing there that would come close to McCarthy is 1st + Weller, but that wouldn't get us Hogan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's just utter bull$hit we'd be offering Dixon $4,000,000.00

It must be a mistake,more like Hogan $4,000,000.00...yeah that's better!

Both are bullshit!!

I reckon it takes more then a 4 year, 4 mill deal to get Hogan.

7 years, 8 million.

How are GWS ruck stocks after Mumford? Would they take Clarke for McCarthy - or is that a stupid idea? Not that Clarke would agree to that trade, I reckon if he goes, it will be to home.

I'd rather keep Clarke, but at the moment he's the only player we have with currency in an area we do have some depth in.

Absolutely no way we would be giving Weller + 1st.

A question to consider, is he worth the same/more or less then Ryder?

Ryder went for pick 17 + 37. My answer to that question would probably be "SAME", certainly not worth more. Remembering that he is uncontracted and Ryder still had time to run on his deal.

Out first pick should fall between 15 & 18 so thats a starting point. We wouldn't be offering a second pick with him so we would either need to stand pat on that or offer up a mid-range player to get the deal done.

We wont be giving up:
1st + 2nd
1st + Weller
Weller + Anything
1st + Clarke
You can take that to the bank.

Hogan or McCarthy i would do any of the above. That said, the only thing there that would come close to McCarthy is 1st + Weller, but that wouldn't get us Hogan.
Teams always start the bidding stupidly high. Be prepared to laugh at whatever they first propose. There was a reason I was careful to state we wouldn't accept that. GC rate Dixon I reckon, he's just not as good as Lynch, about equal to Day and Wright has a higher ceiling. They need to trade someone with currency to improve other areas of their list and will try all they can to get all they can. I can easily see another Mitch Clark situation tbh as Brisbane will have more to give and a credible PSD threat.

How are GWS ruck stocks after Mumford? Would they take Clarke for McCarthy - or is that a stupid idea? Not that Clarke would agree to that trade, I reckon if he goes, it will be to home.

I'd rather keep Clarke, but at the moment he's the only player we have with currency in an area we do have some depth in.

They need a back up ruckman that has versatility for sure.

But it would have to be Clarke + 1st.

Only real back-up ruckman on their list are Downie and Lobb who have played a total of 3 games.
They were playing James Stewart in the ruck yesterday, hes 198cm and not a great ruckman. Handy forward though.

Only real back-up ruckman on their list are Downie and Lobb who have played a total of 3 games.
They were playing James Stewart in the ruck yesterday, hes 198cm and not a great ruckman. Handy forward though.
Andrew Phillips?

I would take that trade, Moller seems to be coming on, and getting McCarthy would be like getting an early pick KPP ready to play. Meanwhile, Griff and Hannath are there for back up, and Ape as well who can ruck. Clarke won't want to go to Sydney though, I don't think.

Not at AFL level. Has played 10 games since being taken in the 2011 rookie draft, only one this year. He's like a 3rd/4th back up ruck, rarely used.

I would rate big Jack better than Downie as well, Lobb older than lurch not as athletic but around same development & size, Clarke for McCarthy would be quiet fair but won't get it done IMO. Phillips might get game this week if big mummy out.

At that money he could walk to the PSD.

Nobody else will take a punt on a guy who can't stay on the field and is very average when not playing undermanned and undersized teams.

Let him go elsewhere.

$1,000,000 a year would get McCarthy to tell GWS that he is walking as soon as his deal is done and they should get something for him now, just like it did with Boyd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back