Cheers to the GWS staff

Remove this Banner Ad

Snoochems

Team Captain
Apr 7, 2007
Orange, NSW
AFL Club
GWS
So we made the 4 hour trek from Orange to the Sydney Showgrounds, enduring car sick kids, god-awful bumper-to-bumper traffic, and the GPS taking us the wrong way at Olympic Park, only to realise we had brought last years membership cards with us.

The guy we talked to at the match office was very helpful and understanding, and gave us our tickets using last years cards. I imagine he entered some stuff on the computer making it all legit - and it may just be a common thing he has to deal with. Regardless, it was such a relief; I can't tell you how afraid I was that they weren't going to let us in.

Oh, and he also got our membership hats for us even though they were packing it up (first game we've managed to attend this year).

And to top it off, what a win! - We're foundation members but have only made 4 games in total - and 2 have been wins... I say I should go more at that strike rate.

Great to hear. Let's hope the club holds onto that family friendly focus. No need for arrogance, elitism or hubris 'round here.

I was sitting at the scoreboard end on Sunday, mostly among Carlton supporters.

At the end of the game, one of them asked why the wheelbarrow was heading out there, and a light went off and - despite it not being mentioned as far as any of us saw - I realised and said 'They are doing kick to kick after all'.

Half an hour later, those Blues fans were all still out on the ground, playing kick to kick. One of them mentioned that his son had never done that - had never kicked a footy around on a ground he'd seen on TV.

It really makes sense for the Giants (and the AFL) to focus on families. After all that's the main demographic of Western Sydney. Also might encourage a few kids to take up this sport and trash the "GayFL" tag. It's the only real way for this club to sustain itself long term once our bounty of high draft picks retires or (heaven forbid) moves on.

I can't say enough good things about the GWS management, staff and marketing (and players). Very impressed by them all.

Once again, kudos to the Club and AFL NSW/ACT on another great Club night. My Auskickers had a great time and kids who last year were playing rugby league and soccer were buying up Giants merch and queuing for autographs.

That's why the AFL are going long term with us. The more kids who turn out to these nights will be buying tickets for years to come.

Lets hope all supporters remember the initial early days of the club,these are the stories that we can use later on to help new members and supporters through difficult club times.
We all love our footy and when im at victorian games i respect all fans ,not just ours,but in very supportive to our club when we play home games,lets always make sure all supporters are looked after and made to feel welcome at all of our games.

Having stuck through the initial lean years I can say that I'm ready for the inevitable decline all clubs go through. However I believe that we can do a Sydney/Geelong and back our culture to help keep us in finals contention with mini rebuilds to keep us floating

Remove this Banner Ad

Back