Cherished Metricon Memories

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Let's have a bit of fun in the off season and look back on our most cherished Metricon moments. As much as it pains me to say it now I was so pumped watching Dicko kick 7 goals against the Kangas. He was juggling marks and keep the crowd on its feet. How about you guys?

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Who remembers this one?

rGdDTOg.jpg

Donble

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa , Buccs
When we beat Collingwood in 2014 with no one on the bench in the last quarter great game to watch.

Yeah the 2 Collingwood wins stand out so far , the 2nd one was one of our best wins to date. The first Q clash win with Krackour kicking 5 has to be up there as well.

princy_99

All Australian
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not at Metricon but up in cairns when we beat Richmond with Matera snapping around his body to Karmicheal 30 out from goal with 20 seconds to go and slots it through

FavoriteSun

All Australian
Feb 8, 2012
Boston, USA
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I was only at the stadium once, but I'm probably the furthest traveled Suns fan in the stadium's recent history?

I was here for this game. We still almost beat fremantle. Having a kick on the field at the end, shot at goal on the side opposite the scoreboard. Priceless.

648629-nathan-bock.jpg

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
When He Who Can No Longer be named ran through CHF and kicked "THAT" goal against Geelong
I nearly threw my 2yo into the air and out of the Grandstand onto the ground
That was awesome. Felt like the whole stadium didn't stop cheering / buzzing for a good 5 minutes afterwards. Pity the campaigner's later actions have diminished all the good things he did.

Phlanispo

Team Captain
Dec 22, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
bg-image.jpg

taken from the suns website, currently being used as the background haha.

Damn, so many mixed signals. 'We are Gold Coast' is an incredibly generic, overused and not very good slogan, while 'We are Your Suns' is an effing great slogan, and gave me this really powerful feeling of pride and nationalism, if only for a brief moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Damn, so many mixed signals. 'We are Gold Coast' is an incredibly generic, overused and not very good slogan, while 'We are Your Suns' is an effing great slogan, and gave me this really powerful feeling of pride and nationalism, if only for a brief moment.
I bloody LOVE 'we are your SUNS'. Simple, but really effective. I love it! And I really love the way they capitalise the word SUNS everywhere.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
remember that one time at metricon, where the sun set behind the southern end? :p

bg-image.jpg

taken from the suns website, currently being used as the background haha.

This is used in American sports and it's often used to stir an emotional connection with the team and create a sense of ownership/pride. In America there is usually only one team per city so they can really play on the fact that they are the city's team but that really isn't the case for most teams in Australia. Luckily, the Suns are one of just three teams in Australia that don't share their city with another AFL team and can use that to their advantage. If you skip forward to 3:15 in this video below you'll see an example of how it's used in American sports:

So the announcer at games will often say things like 'stand up and make some noise for YOUR Miami Heat!' I think it would be awesome if in the opening video package at the first home game in 2016 (or maybe all home games in 2016?) they had a few exciting clips of current Suns players from the last few years with a cool background music track to get the fans going and then you end it with Tom Lynch saying 'WE are Gold Coast' followed by a clip of Gary saying 'WE are YOUR SUNS'. GCFC Digital any chance?

Either way, it's a good slogan and can be used in so many ways.

GCFC Digital

Senior List
Apr 7, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
This is used in American sports and it's often used to stir an emotional connection with the team and create a sense of ownership/pride. In America there is usually only one team per city so they can really play on the fact that they are the city's team but that really isn't the case for most teams in Australia. Luckily, the Suns are one of just three teams in Australia that don't share their city with another AFL team and can use that to their advantage. If you skip forward to 3:15 in this video below you'll see an example of how it's used in American sports:

So the announcer at games will often say things like 'stand up and make some noise for YOUR Miami Heat!' I think it would be awesome if in the opening video package at the first home game in 2016 (or maybe all home games in 2016?) they had a few exciting clips of current Suns players from the last few years with a cool background music track to get the fans going and then you end it with Tom Lynch saying 'WE are Gold Coast' followed by a clip of Gary saying 'WE are YOUR SUNS'. GCFC Digital any chance?

Either way, it's a good slogan and can be used in so many ways.

We've got a few things in the works!

Phlanispo

Team Captain
Dec 22, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Gold Coast
If you want to go that far back then this would have to be up there as one of the best games ever played at Carrara:

Pretty funny that we drew with West Coast at Carrara 23 years later, after a Queensland team kicked a set shot after the siren. This was also in a year where West Coast got into the grand final, and the Queensland team had just 4 wins and would consider a draw almost as good as a win.

Back