Past Cheynee Stiller (2006-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Stiller,5th or 6th DT ranking for the Lions in the Round 1 game v Melbourne,can demand that !00th game on form in the reserves...it is up to him...and how quickly young players improve.

Perhaps I over reacted to your comment LRL44.

It's probably worth comparing Hart and Stiller at 99 games. I went back but I couldnt find any Big footy for the late 90's but I guess in 1995 Hart would have been seen as an ordinary footballer in a very ordinary side. Not saying that Stiller will go on to to achieve what Hart did but I still think the comparison at this stage of their careers is valid.

As Lionheart182 "Every single week in the match day thread someone will bemoan the fact that one of our players doesn't try hard enough at some stage."

Effort + talent = premierships

Stiller hasn't been gifted anything. He has earned every single one of his games by going about footy the way he has. He is no world beater, but puts in and does what he can. The fact they we have no better options to bring in and replace him until now is the clubs fault, not his. Whilst i don't see him in our best 22 12-24 months from now, he has been a good player for us during our down time whilst we rebuild. I really hope he gets over 100 games, and gets his name on that locker, because his name deserves to be there.

Stiller hasn't been gifted anything. He has earned every single one of his games by going about footy the way he has. He is no world beater, but puts in and does what he can.

Quoted for truth!!

NEAFL Round 4 vs Northern Territory Thunder

Cheynee Stiller, set to play his 100th AFL game in Perth until sent instead to Alice Springs, was another standout. Stiller spent a lot of time deep in defence when utilised in a run-with role on Thunder ace Cameron Ilett, but he did a lot of good negating work in the air and had 10 possessions in a huge final quarter as the Lions hung on.

stiller36.jpg

Nathan Clarke

“Cheynee Stiller had a really big last quarter. He had a crucial match-up on Cam Ilet - who is one of the premiere players in the competition. He did a good job on him, and once Ilet went in the midfield, we released Cheynee across half back. He ended up saving us a few times in that last term.”

Nathan Clarke

One of the other key contributors to the Lions Reserves’ victory was injured midfielder Amon Buchanan, who was apparently behind one of the match-winning moves from the coach’s box.

“Amon claims to have made the masterstroke move of putting Cheynee Stiller into the middle as an on-baller,” Clarke said.

6981814718_28d01f54e8.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God I hope he doesn't get stuck on 99 games.

Same. I get the feeling he may get a run later in the season though if we're not fighting for a finals spot (which is likely).

Really thought he'd be a good chance to come back in with Raines out.

This might be the end for Cheynee.

God I hope he doesn't get stuck on 99 games.

If he was targeted for delistment at the end of the year (and I don't think that is a certainty), he'd surely get a swansong towards the end of the year when finals are out of the equation.

Also, if delisted, I wouldn't mind seeing him rookied and made captain of the reserves. Good mentor for the younger guys.

NEAFL Round 7 vs Aspley

Cheynee Stiller lodged another strong claim for an AFL recall for what would be his 100th game with another fine contribution, doing well through the midfield in the first half before he was thrown back in the second as Clarke looked to stem the flow of goals.

“He’s a class above and is an AFL player – not doubt about that,” said Clarke. “He just knows when and where to go, when to drop off his opponent and how to use the ball. And he took some really good courageous marks. Another really good game.”

6988157528_13f68b2906.jpg

Link

Cheynee Stiller was everywhere in the last term. He had seven high-quality touches, and was the recipient of a Robbie Copeland special when the Aspley skipper took a hanger on his back and goalled.

NEAFL Round 11 vs Broadbeach

Cheynee Stiller, continuing to play at a level above NEAFL football, played on Queensland/NT full forward Jay Neagle and although significantly under-sized he held the ex-Essendon utility to one goal and had 30+ possessions himself.

7326763128_7c8fc67c8e.jpg

Happy Birthday Cheynee. Still no 100th - keep hanging in there.

it's great that cheynee finally gets to play his 100th game,though his selection this week for me came from left field, there were others i thought in the mix more than him.
nevertheless he has the opportunity to get the paint set & stencil out to etch his name permanently on his locker. well done.
it would have been sad for the end of the season to come & cheynee still be stranded on 99, as i guess his place on the list next year is certainly not certain & open to discussion

Absolutely stoked for him. Deserves to have has name on the same locker as Shaun Hart. The number 32 locker is becoming synonymous with absolute pros who get the very best out of themselves.

Absolutely stoked for him. Deserves to have has name on the same locker as Shaun Hart. The number 32 locker is becoming synonymous with absolute pros who get the very best out of themselves.

Wot é sed.:thumbsu: Well done Chinny .

Stiller Role to Play
Fri 06 Jul, 2012

Cheynee Stiller might not have received a great deal of fanfare throughout his AFL journey, but his achievement in reaching 100 senior games should not be understated.

Stiller burst onto the scene in 2006 after being elevated from the Lions’ rookie list, and went on to play 35 senior matches across his first two seasons - including 33 in succession.

Throughout this time, he earned an AFL Rising Star nomination and boasted statistical averages not dissimilar to those of Simon Black, Daniel Rich and Jack Redden in the early stages of their careers.

The local Queensland product has since become somewhat of an unsung hero during his seven seasons at the Lions, being largely entrusted with the types of on-field roles that earn praise from his coaches and team-mates, but not necessarily the wider football public.

stiller_melbourne-c.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back