Pets chickens

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't see the detail of your little red hen when I was on my phone earlier. Her head looks a helluva lot like the head of my Polish hen. I'll dig out a pic and post it in a tick- have a few to sort through but you'll see what I mean when I show you. Both the comb plus the little 'helmet' are identical to one of my girls.
It comes from her grandmother that has sort of a slight hat and it's shown up occasionally in its descendants but funnily the she easily has it the most.

IMGP2106.jpg

How is you feed situation going Teriyakicat? I've filled up about 8 of these tubs with wheat from the CBH scrap pile this week, should keep the little buggers going for awhile :D

My stupid chooks haven't laid an egg in over a week. They're only boring brown hylines too so it's not like I keep them around for their good looks.

IMGP2106.jpg

How is you feed situation going Teriyakicat? I've filled up about 8 of these tubs with wheat from the CBH scrap pile this week, should keep the little buggers going for awhile :D
I'm jealous!! That stuff looks really juicy!! Do you mix it with stuff like sunflower seeds, etc?
I'm buying 2x 40kg bags of poultry mix every 3-4 weeks now, instead of every week :D What a win! The chooks just seem to scatter the pellets around under the feeders, though- I'm thinking of making up my own mix. My friend said she just feeds her chooks wheat, now- she's in Kelmscott. I must ask her where she gets her chook feed.

My stupid chooks haven't laid an egg in over a week. They're only boring brown hylines too so it's not like I keep them around for their good looks.
Are they not laying or are the eggs getting stolen?
Lizards, crows, etc. all like to knock off my eggs. I go out about 3-4 times a day to check the nests if I can- if I don't go out a few times before lunch, then check at 5 when I get home, I get zilch- nada... nothing :(

That's weird for this time a year, something is up with that. I had a problem when most of mine stopped for a few weeks but that was in the middle of winter. They are laying heaps at the moment

That's weird for this time a year, something is up with that. I had a problem when most of mine stopped for a few weeks but that was in the middle of winter. They are laying heaps at the moment
I initially thought it might have been due to a storm but we haven't had one in the past week.. sometimes chickens can go off the lay a few days after thunder and lightning.
At least I don't REMEMBER a storm in the past week- have we had one?

Are they not laying or are the eggs getting stolen?

They've got a protected laying box inside one of those little rabbit/chicken hutch things so I don't think they're getting stolen.

Even on the rare occasions they've laid in the garden I've found them intact at the end of the day no problems.

I'm jealous!! That stuff looks really juicy!! Do you mix it with stuff like sunflower seeds, etc?
I'm buying 2x 40kg bags of poultry mix every 3-4 weeks now, instead of every week :D What a win! The chooks just seem to scatter the pellets around under the feeders, though- I'm thinking of making up my own mix. My friend said she just feeds her chooks wheat, now- she's in Kelmscott. I must ask her where she gets her chook feed.
Nah I just chuck it in there on the ground. Also got a poultry mix I've been giving them, plus also sometimes buy bags of laying pellets and a bit of shell grit.

What I really need at the moment is greens for them, when stuff like lettuce gets thrown in there you can just see they are really keen for them. It's just been so dry there's been hardly any weeds/grass around.

They've got a protected laying box inside one of those little rabbit/chicken hutch things so I don't think they're getting stolen.

Even on the rare occasions they've laid in the garden I've found them intact at the end of the day no problems.
Maybe wait a few more days before panicking- and try and check more often. HyLines are very business-like with their egg-laying so they just pop out their egg efficiently, then jump off their nest and go about their business. You usually don't get any warning (ie. cackling) that they've laid.
Not sure what else would cause them to all stop laying at the same time, tbh

Maybe wait a few more days before panicking- and try and check more often. HyLines are very business-like with their egg-laying so they just pop out their egg efficiently, then jump off their nest and go about their business. You usually don't get any warning (ie. cackling) that they've laid.
Not sure what else would cause them to all stop laying at the same time, tbh

There's only two of them btw, but still, even in their bad weeks in the past I've ended up with an egg every few days or so.

I've been working from home every day bar one this week so I've been checking pretty regularly. That's the other reason I'm pretty sure they haven't been getting stolen - usually the chooks go berko if a crow tries to come too close to their little run down the side of the house, but I haven't heard any commotion.

Nah I just chuck it in there on the ground. Also got a poultry mix I've been giving them, plus also sometimes buy bags of laying pellets and a bit of shell grit.

What I really need at the moment is greens for them, when stuff like lettuce gets thrown in there you can just see they are really keen for them. It's just been so dry there's been hardly any weeds/grass around.
See if your local vege-seller can keep outer leaves of lettuce etc. for you- or you can grow spinach/silverbeet really easily and feed that to them.

See if your local vege-seller can keep outer leaves of lettuce etc. for you- or you can grow spinach/silverbeet really easily and feed that to them.
They used to sell shopping bags packed with outer lettuce leave for 60c at the supermarket (stingy bastards..) but I haven't seen any there for ages for some reason. Was actually thinking about growing some silverbeet just for them, it's actually one of the very few veges I don't eat myself.

Should actually say to the bloke next door if he wants to lob any of his scraps vege over the fence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They used to sell shopping bags packed with outer lettuce leave for 60c at the supermarket (stingy bastards..) but I haven't seen any there for ages for some reason. Was actually thinking about growing some silverbeet just for them, it's actually one of the very few veges I don't eat myself.

Should actually say to the bloke next door if he wants to lob any of his scraps vege over the fence.
That'd be great- the bloke next door's probably been throwing scraps in his bin, wishing he had chickens to eat his them. :)
You grab a few bags from him now and then and give him a few eggs now and then in return, when you have surplus. He'll think it's Christmas! ....unless he's vegan ;)

I've got a huge silverbeet plant that's been to seed and back numerous times. It's burst out of its pot and grown into the soul underneath. I just chop it back now and then. It's almost a shrub- albeit a very small one..

Just finished the chook/duck pen. Put on a gate and put up wire. They are safe from the dog now.

I was a couple days late. Our dog struck again and got 3 out of 5 of our juvenile ducks.... 2 males left.

But now we got to read this book about life cycles and birth and death to our 2.5 year old.

She had said a couple times, very softly, looking down..... "duck-a-lings died"..... "How many little ducks do you have left"... she looks up and is a bit less sad "two".

Just finished the chook/duck pen. Put on a gate and put up wire. They are safe from the dog now.

I was a couple days late. Our dog struck again and got 3 out of 5 of our juvenile ducks.... 2 males left.

But now we got to read this book about life cycles and birth and death to our 2.5 year old.

She had said a couple times, very softly, looking down..... "duck-a-lings died"..... "How many little ducks do you have left"... she looks up and is a bit less sad "two".
That's so sad you lost them, Mattrox - how lovely that you've been able to help your daughter understand what's going on. She's found something positive- she has two ducklings!! Great job with getting the fencing put up, by the way!

Do you mind if I ask what the title of that book is? One of our Cats posters has just lost their cat of 15 years and their little kids are devastated.

Good luck with your remaining two ducklings!!

Noticed one of my bantams the other day that had developed an interesting way of escaping the pen with a fence about 6 feet tall. Would simply jump at the chicken mesh about 2/3 the way up, sort of cling to the wire with its feet, keep flapping its wing madly proceeding to the 'climb' the way up and over the top. Clipping one of its wings seems to have stopped it for the moment, though but I imagine it's already working on another plan to breakout :D

Noticed one of my bantams the other day that had developed an interesting way of escaping the pen with a fence about 6 feet tall. Would simply jump at the chicken mesh about 2/3 the way up, sort of cling to the wire with its feet, keep flapping its wing madly proceeding to the 'climb' the way up and over the top. Clipping one of its wings seems to have stopped it for the moment, though but I imagine it's already working on another plan to breakout :D
Lol- they're very cheeky, aren't they? One of mine jumps a 4' high fence to go into the next pen to lay her eggs. (Our pens are only to separate various generations and sizes of roosters)

That's a bloody palace!!

I've got a couple of the same flat pack chicken houses- they're great, aren't they? My daughter drew a sign on one and called it "Chicken Mansion" or something, so the chickens would know where they lived :)
We got given the flat pack one with 2 chickens from a friend of a friend whose 5yo lost interest.

This is the 1st one I built.

And the fence going up.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418341288722.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418341288722.jpeg
    274.1 KB · Views: 7
  • uploadfromtaptalk1418341297498.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418341297498.jpeg
    289.1 KB · Views: 8
lol some of these chicken palace pictures posted put bush type pens to shame, although a lot of mine would just casually fly over the top of those fences.

IMGP2110.jpg

This little thing is pretty funny, it was supposed to be a pure buff Pekin but has a fair bit of black on its back and wing tips, must have got mixed in with a black Pekin, I did notice that he had one running around when I got the eggs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back