Pets chickens

Remove this Banner Ad

With help i built a coup for them which they escaped from every day. Getting them to stay in the coup became an impossible task so i took the coup down and let them free-range and built fences around my veggies. This has worked ok other than the four boxes of rocket they managed to break into and demolish.

Anyone else got any chickens, or chicken stories?
07111917_RussiaLARGE.jpg

Chickens are great. I used to have 3 hens.
I called them my 3 single ladies (there was a song out at the time).
They would always follow me whenever I was outside and they were hand tame.
My dog used to try to eat them, but they started pecking at him and put him line, I once found one of the hens standing on my dogs back, he's a german shepherd, it was quite comical.
Chickens are amazing escape artists, they would always get into our neighbours back yards, somehow over those ~6 foot suburban fences.

Never had chicken but i would like to get a pig one day but cant have one in my area grrr.
When i went to tassie was driving down a dirt road going to a national park these people had a little farm as i drove past i seen mother goose and bady geese and she was hissing at the car as i kinda got close to her.She was cutting sick thought i after its babies.
I guess your chickens are free range:).

Don't underestimate cats. I'd back a cat to kill a fully grown chicken any day. It wouldn't eat it, just kill it.

Horrible animals they are. Chooks are great. IN: scraps, wheat/pellets, OUT: eggs. Win.

I have 4 cats but they are actually scared of the chooks, even the baby ones believe it or not. It was way too big for a cat to knock it off anyway, that's why it's such a mystery as usually crows are the ones that do it when they are so little.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking forward to nicky cooking me one of the chickens when I'm in Melbourne in 3 weeks' time.

Hehehehe Reepy.

The fate of the chickens.

They were given back to my dad and the one that kept escaping, Loretta, had become quite ferral, she was always escaping and eating her own eggs. My dad couldn't handle her either and the neighbours offered to take her. It didn't take long for them to get sick of her either so they gave her back to my dad who then gave her to some chinese friends of the family. They took her in and gave her alot of love by feeding her with food from the palm of their hand and giving her lots of attention. She soon stopped eating her own eggs and no longer tries to escape.

Meanwhile, whilst my dad was away for a few months a fox broke into his chicken coop and ate all of Loretta's sisters. If it wasn't Loretta's ferral phase she would also be dead.

Long story short Reeps, we can't eat my pet chickens because i don't have any anymore.

Watcha doin in melbourne?

Hehehehe Reepy.

The fate of the chickens.

They were given back to my dad and the one that kept escaping, Loretta, had become quite ferral, she was always escaping and eating her own eggs. My dad couldn't handle her either and the neighbours offered to take her. It didn't take long for them to get sick of her either so they gave her back to my dad who then gave her to some chinese friends of the family. They took her in and gave her alot of love by feeding her with food from the palm of their hand and giving her lots of attention. She soon stopped eating her own eggs and no longer tries to escape.

Meanwhile, whilst my dad was away for a few months a fox broke into his chicken coop and ate all of Loretta's sisters. If it wasn't Loretta's ferral phase she would also be dead.

Long story short Reeps, we can't eat my pet chickens because i don't have any anymore.

Watcha doin in melbourne?

Coming over for work, but I also intend to hire a car and take a stopwatch and solve the age old riddle - is Reservoir 5 minutes from Northcote?

Had a chicken at my place I was looking after for a friend.

She was good, would eat out of my hand. She liked to poop all over the patio though so had to put up some chicken wire to keep her out. She still has a coop here. She would lay an egg every day and not cause too much fuss unless she wasn't let out in the morning. It was fun to feed her leftovers. Seemed like she was always hungry. Fruit, bread, rice, she'd gobble it up.

Sometimes when I'd spoil her she'd stand around crying for more food. Really weird noise she made, it's like she knew it was conducive to getting fed lol

If she cried too much I'd squirt her with the hose. That kept her in line and also kept her clean. After a while she knew when she was gonna get squirted and would run off when I turned the hose on.

I never realised how smart chickens actually were until this experience.

Sometimes she would chase native birds around the yard, sometimes she wouldn't it depended on what birds they were. I don't think she liked Crows, well neither do I they make a horrible noise.

She was simply called "chook chook". Somebody found her in a park one day apparently and gave her to the couple that owns her now.

My mate's neighbour bought what he thought was a baby chicken, turned out it was an emu. Yes, an emu.

Sounds like bullshit, but I'm deadset. This bloke had an emu running around his quarter-acre block in Nedlands. Made getting tennis balls back an interesting proposition...

Gave 3 roosters to one of the old man's mates to eat because I couldn't find them homes this time, can't imagine they would be very good for meat but anyway..

This lot I breed recently would be ideal for anyone that has trouble with foxes at night, the cheeky buggers sleep about 2 meters high up a eucalyptus tree.

Gave 3 roosters to one of the old man's mates to eat because I couldn't find them homes this time, can't imagine they would be very good for meat but anyway..

This lot I breed recently would be ideal for anyone that has trouble with foxes at night, the cheeky buggers sleep about 2 meters high up a eucalyptus tree.

Roosters are good for a long, slow braise.

Got a chicken today. Black, about 16-18 weeks old.

Had an empty coop in the backyard and thought the investment might be worth it.

She seems a bit skittish but I guess she's not used to being outside of that big old cage with all the other hens from the farm where I got her.

I hope she doesn't make too much noise or fly away or anything. She was jumping on top of the fence but luckily didn't fly away into the neighbours yard. Going to have to clip her wing.

Haven't thought of a name yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back