Social Science Children of the 90s

Remove this Banner Ad

People who identify as "90's kids" and get all nostalgic about how things were better are generally the worst people going around.

People who identify as "90's kids" and get all nostalgic about how things were better are generally the worst people going around.
You're right...
The ISIS beheadings were done much more delicately back then. They were just misunderstood.

I remember being really let down by Mario Kart 64 when it came out because it played so much slower than SNES MK. (and battle mode on the N64 is abysmal)

N64 turned me off video games for about ten years.... that funky controller with over a dozen buttons and gherkin joy stick... hated mario 64 being 3d and open world, I like open world games like gta, but not for mario.... mario 1, 3 on nes and smb on the snes are the only true mario games for me.... I know there have been some others on the later systems that have gone to a 2.5 visual look, but I already lost interest after m64.... and why did princess toadstool suddenly change her name to peach?

I think the best thing about the 1990s was that it was the only decade where a really good alternative song could be a hit on radio and there are hundreds of examples of this...the 80s also was a decade where alternative music popped into the mainstream, sometimes.

So music culture was very exciting in the mainstream thanks to 1991 and all those great albums to start the decade really set the trend for the rest of that decade..

Remember shows like Recovery and Alternative Nation on mtv. Really cool.

In 1996 I distinctly remember seeing the smashing pumpkins melloncollie album posters everywhere and then you had garbage and no doubt posters for tragic kingdom..but what I really mean is even nine inch nails with head like a hole was a hit in the early 90s, then you had lots of other great songs on the fringes of the mainstream that everyone knew about to some extent...

It was nerd culture and it became the mainstream which seemed to slowly morph back to corporate cheese after the mid 2000s to now.

I think it was a golden age for both sport and music in the mainstream..

But what added to the excitement was that it was the beginning of home PC technology the net, the beginning of video games in the mainstream...

Compare music back then to now in the mainstream. It was millions times better back then.

I'm not saying music was better then, I'm saying it was better in terms of mainstream exposure...

Take the year 2000 as an example. The strokes, queens of the Stone Age, the avalanches, radiohead, super furry animals, primal scream, Powderfinger...Y'Know, at least we had bands who were good at writing songs and getting some exposure...

These days we don't get that at all.

I have to say that television has gotten a lot better post 2000. I mean there are so many good shows over the last decade. A perfect example being curb your enthusiasm following up Seinfeld and it's a better show. That's just one example. Lots of great shows released that weren't played on free to air in Oz, but you can still watch them in Apple TV etc..

Last edited:
We were really late to get a video too. Early to mid 90s until we got one of them IIRC.

When my parents were still together,
VCRs were the technological craze, some neighbors had them but we didnt, expensive i guess at the time, I remember being quite impressed when I visited my dad who had moved interstate for summer school holidays and saw he had a black shiny vcr and trips to the video store with him became a ritual during my stay. I reckon it was probably the first thing he bought at his new place along with his little tv

A crocodile came up, took my guts out and he bit me into parts - pieces - and even my leg went that way and even my head went that way.

The kid would have been about 5 but talked like a 50 year old who likes to take his ute out to the great outdoors on the weekend, all that was missing was facial hair and a stubby in his hand, hilarious

Last edited:
N64 turned me off video games for about ten years.... that funky controller with over a dozen buttons and gherkin joy stick... hated mario 64 being 3d and open world, I like open world games like gta, but not for mario.... mario 1, 3 on nes and smb on the snes are the only true mario games for me.... I know there have been some others on the later systems that have gone to a 2.5 visual look, but I already lost interest after m64.... and why did princess toadstool suddenly change her name to peach?
N64 was brilliant, so many great games.

When my parents were still together,
VCRs were the technological craze, some neighbors had them but we didnt, expensive i guess at the time, I remember being quite impressed when I visited my dad who had moved interstate for summer school holidays and saw he had a black shiny vcr and trips to the video store with him became a ritual during my stay. I reckon it was probably the first thing he bought at his new place along with his little tv

I still remember my grandmother going away to Greece (yes she had a video before us!!!) and we were able to borrow the video while she was away. Best month+ ever, think the first movie we watched was the Aussie film "The Big Steal". :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One campaigner kept pointing his at the screen during a showing of Godzilla (98) I went to. He stopped when he had enough verbal abuse thrown his way.
haha yep kids would always flash them at the screen in the cinema. I remember my mum would never let me get one because she said they were dangerous and could blind people

One campaigner kept pointing his at the screen during a showing of Godzilla (98) I went to. He stopped when he had enough verbal abuse thrown his way.

One of the worst films I've ever seen, one of the few films I've contemplated walking out early but I was on a date so I had to sit through it until the end.

GoldenEye.

Golden*******Eye

GoldenEye_-_UK_cinema_poster.jpg
GoldenEye007box.jpg
goldeneye-main-review.jpg
goldeneye.jpg
goldeneye-crusher-thighs.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back