Home & Garden Chilli Growing

Remove this Banner Ad

I have gotten in to growing my own chilli's this season and now that we are in to summer I am not reaping the benefits.

I have around 20 plants on the go at the moment. Some I planted from seed, others I bought (primarily at Masters)

I just tried one of my Piri Piri's about 10 mins ago and I am still sweating a bit... awesome in its own strange way.

Has any one here tried growing their own chilli's? know where to find unique pods for sale? any advice? tales?

Tried once when I was living with mum and dad, in a pot.

The dog dug them up and ate them.

I was a bit pissed at the dog for a while, and I also refused to pick up after him for the rest of the week.

20 plants is a lot, expect to be growing more then you can eat.

Jalapenos are extremely easy, Bhut Jolokia's come in an abundance, Habeneros are a bit more maintenance then the first two.

20 plants is a lot, expect to be growing more then you can eat.

Jalapenos are extremely easy, Bhut Jolokia's come in an abundance, Habeneros are a bit more maintenance then the first two.

why are habeneros harder work?

Haha. No. Chilli means chilli.

Have you tried a carolina reaper? I might try and grow one next season.

Used to challenge the chef at restaurants many years ago but just can't do it any more.

I have a restraining order on anything over a 500K scoville rating............It would kill me now, so no...........no Carolina Reaper :)

Used to challenge the chef at restaurants many years ago but just can't do it any more.

I have a restraining order on anything over a 500K scoville rating............It would kill me now, so no...........no Carolina Reaper :)

Kill literally or figuratively?

The hotest I have tried is a standard habanero. And that was damn hot.

Would have tried hotter but they are hard to come by unless you grow your own

Kill literally or figuratively?

The hotest I have tried is a standard habanero. And that was damn hot.

Would have tried hotter but they are hard to come by unless you grow your own

I'm not sure but just can't handle it. Loved hot so much that I used to get through a bottle of Tabasco a week, but now..........4 weeks.

Some of these new strains are killers and it's sort of fun getting onto Youtube watch people try them...... :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure but just can't handle it. Loved hot so much that I used to get through a bottle of Tabasco a week, but now..........4 weeks.

Some of these new strains are killers and it's sort of fun getting onto Youtube watch people try them...... :)

Yeah. I watch tedbarrus and thehippyseedcompany videos.

I have been using the habanero tabasco. Also tried the wild turkey one... was awesome.

I do intend on making my own sauces and powders.

Yeah. I watch tedbarrus and thehippyseedcompany videos.
I have been using the habanero tabasco. Also tried the wild turkey one... was awesome.

I do intend on making my own sauces and powders.

That's a good idea.

Had some of the bet chilli oil ever and was promised the recipe..............which never came forward......Damn!!!!

That's a good idea.

Had some of the bet chilli oil ever and was promised the recipe..............which never came forward......Damn!!!!

Dad taught me how to make sambal which goes great with curry and korma

We've recently built a new home and am chomping at the bit to start our own larger veggie / herb garden which'll include a couple of chilli varieties. We have a couple of 1/2 wine barrels on the go at the moment with jalapeños & ornamental chillies (the ones that grow upright). The jalapeños were going great guns but shared the barrel with some cherry tomatoes and once they took off they stole a lot of the jalapeños' sunlight and they have virtually stopped since. We pickled plenty though before hand and will set it up properly when we build our garden proper. These little ornamental ones though we bought under the name of mini-capsicums, or dwarf capsicums, something like that. Given the name I thought they would have been a mild, sweeter variety and chomped into the first one. OH GOD THEY WERE HOT. Disgusting hot. We use 1 at a time in cooking dishes and add plenty of heat for a small fruit, and will look at drying some for flakes/oils in the coming weeks.

Habenero's. Not worth the effort

Was growing some californian Reaper, Again, Bit of a bitch moving it around to get the ideal conditions, Was worth it during one party where i convinced 3 guys to eat one each.

Mainly use them in home-made sauces.

Habenero's. Not worth the effort

Was growing some californian Reaper, Again, Bit of a bitch moving it around to get the ideal conditions, Was worth it during one party where i convinced 3 guys to eat one each.

Mainly use them in home-made sauces.

yeah melbourne conditions aren't great for chilli's this year.

I have about 5-6 habs growing so will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Dude in general australia aint great. At least wa you get some good sunlight hours.

Since i live in one of these 4 houses in 1 1/2 block of land i was putting plants on top of the patio to get more then 6 hours of sunlight.

I have a lot of chillies growing now.

My Aji Limon's and Caysan's are going gang busters.

Now I have noticed my Chocolate Habs and Orange Habs are really taking off too.

I suspect some might ripen this weekend thanks to the warmer weather.

I love sambal. Have found all sorts of ways to use it including sambal sandwiches.

I just made sambal.

Didn't boil the chillies for long enough so it is a little crunchy.

I've got 2 plants with heaps of little nubs of chilli. Not long, pretty short but pretty hot. Hoping they grow soon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back