China begins construction of world tallest building to be completed in April 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Bender571

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 26, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The quick construction time is to be achieved by using a prefabrication method that allowed them to build this 15 story building in 2 days

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1288748/changsha-skyscraper-faces-brickbats-and-praise

A groundbreaking ceremony on Saturday for the world's tallest building in Changsha was greeted with praise from some mainland architects - and brickbats from others.
Some held serious safety concerns about the skyscraper, but others hailed it as a revolutionary work of prefabricated urban landscape.
The more than 200-storey structure will tower 838 metres above the Hunan provincial capital and be made entirely of factory-made modules that will be assembled by workers in seven months.

Reported costs vary between 5.25 billion yuan (£560 million) and nine billion yuan (HK$11.3 billion).But should be short of Burj Khalifa's (current tallest building) US$1.5 billion.

Some of the developers claims
• 100% fresh air, no mixed with return air, eliminate infection. 3-stage filtered fresh air , 99% nano-particulates be filtered. Indoor air is 20-100 times cleaner than outdoor air. Central vacuuming system keeps indoor air quality.
• Level 9 earthquake resistance
• 150mm exterior insulated walls, triple-paned windows, exterior solar shading, interior window insulation and heat recovery fresh air, 80% more energy efficient than conventional buildings.

In one building, there will be accommodation for 4450 families in apartments ranging from 645 SF to 5,000 SF, 250 hotel rooms, 100,000 SF of school, hospital and office space, totalling over eleven million square feet. The building footprint is only 10% of the site; the rest is open parkland.

the very thing i thought of is that construction time is exceedingly quick.

out of interest how often has this prefabrication model been tested? it seems like an extreme leap of faith to suddenly decided to jump it's usage to the worlds tallest building.

the very thing i thought of is that construction time is exceedingly quick.

out of interest how often has this prefabrication model been tested? it seems like an extreme leap of faith to suddenly decided to jump it's usage to the worlds tallest building.

It's hard to know the details with most of the reports being written in Chinese (Mandrin?), but apparently they have built over 30 buildings, including this 30 storey building

I believe this is their manufacturing factory with the tall buildings being there display buildings

original.jpg

The quick construction time is to be achieved by using a prefabrication method that allowed them to build this 15 story building in 2 days

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1288748/changsha-skyscraper-faces-brickbats-and-praise

Reported costs vary between 5.25 billion yuan (£560 million) and nine billion yuan (HK$11.3 billion).But should be short of Burj Khalifa's (current tallest building) US$1.5 billion.

Some of the developers claims
• 100% fresh air, no mixed with return air, eliminate infection. 3-stage filtered fresh air , 99% nano-particulates be filtered. Indoor air is 20-100 times cleaner than outdoor air. Central vacuuming system keeps indoor air quality.
• Level 9 earthquake resistance
• 150mm exterior insulated walls, triple-paned windows, exterior solar shading, interior window insulation and heat recovery fresh air, 80% more energy efficient than conventional buildings.

In one building, there will be accommodation for 4450 families in apartments ranging from 645 SF to 5,000 SF, 250 hotel rooms, 100,000 SF of school, hospital and office space, totalling over eleven million square feet. The building footprint is only 10% of the site; the rest is open parkland.

They always forget to mention the 2 years of pre-fabrication.....:D
It's THE BROCK..Chinese style.
All just smoke and mirrors....and 10,000 slaving laborers behind the curtain.
I lie, wrapped in a news story, wrapped in an agenda, wrapped in a lot 1,000,000 Yuan.

Interesting developments on this construction project;

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/...-hits-15-billion/story-e6frfq80-1226683740742

A CHINESE construction company had boasted it would take just 90 days to build the world's
tallest tower, but it hasn't quite worked out that way.
Construction of the 838-metre "Sky City" skyscraper in China has been hit with a series of delays as costs balloon to $1.58 billion, and safety fears persist.
Work on the foundations has just begun, with its constructor Broad Sustainable Buildings estimating the tower will be finished by next April.

Whilst he might be able to build it faster, there is a massive difference between the requirements of 30 stories and 220. I'm also sceptical of the earthquake standards and I'd like to know how his materials hold up to weather over an extended period. My final question would be who is actually going to fill the building to pay for its cost?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well this obviously didn't eventuate. I think the company's official stance was government regulations prevented the building from going ahead, but I think the concerns over jumping from 30 stories to 220 may have won out.

The company has just completed a 57 story (about 200m) tower in 19 days of construction. However even this building has controversy because it was reportedly meant to be a 97 story building but construction stopped after 20 stories, apparently it was too close to the airport for 97 stories, so they redesigned it to 57.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...s-57-story-building-19-days-article-1.2144190

It released an online video that shows the building process for its recently completed Mini Sky City - a 57-story building in Changsha that has 800 homes and working space for 4,000 people.

Construction for the mammoth structure took a total of only 19 days of work though there was a major delay in the middle.

All I can think of is driving to work on a Monday morning and doing a double take as I think to myself "Bloody hell, I am sure there wasn't a 30 story building there on Friday!"
Old bump I know, but I had a similar experience once. Finished night shift at 7:00am on a Monday morning, then had a few days off. Returned to work 6:00pm Friday and found a McDonalds fully up and running in what had been an empty carpark!

Well this obviously didn't eventuate. I think the company's official stance was government regulations prevented the building from going ahead, but I think the concerns over jumping from 30 stories to 220 may have won out.

The company has just completed a 57 story (about 200m) tower in 19 days of construction. However even this building has controversy because it was reportedly meant to be a 97 story building but construction stopped after 20 stories, apparently it was too close to the airport for 97 stories, so they redesigned it to 57.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...s-57-story-building-19-days-article-1.2144190

It is rumoured that the impossibility of adequate secrecy and the logistics of pre-installing the required explosives in the building's construction defeated them. Another terrorist attack inadvertently averted. Another victory for good ol' American know-how.

Noone. Smoke and mirrors. Ghost cities abound.

No ghost cities in Australia but we are getting ghost apartment blocks.

Now an influential player in Melbourne's business and arts scenes, Yeap warns that wealthy Asian investors could push Victoria's deregulated planning regime beyond what is good for the city. ''Those high-rises don't resemble Australia. But they are permissible under the rules. I strongly think this is a wrong idea, let's do something better.''

Some in the industry believe established property entrepreneurs like Yeap - who have done well until now with a more conservative strategy - are feeling challenged.

He says the new investors are formidable competition, but says his concern is for Melbourne. He warns that the new generation will push for the ''maximum'' from a site rather than the ''optimum''. ''It will take just a few more super-high-rise towers to destroy the character we have.''

There's also a concern raised by the experience of countries including Singapore and Canada: Chinese-financed apartment towers have sparked planning controversy because of absentee investors who use the apartments as a haven to park money, not to live in or to rent out.

That article is from 2012. Since then we have seen huge development of high rise apartment blocks in Melbourne CBD marketed at Chinese investors. Most of the buildings being constructed are cheap, nondescript shite. Melbourne CBD is starting to look like an Eastern European city.

That article is from 2012. Since then we have seen huge development of high rise apartment blocks in Melbourne CBD marketed at Chinese investors. Most of the buildings being constructed are cheap, nondescript shite. Melbourne CBD is starting to look like an Eastern European city.

Southbank and all those Central Equity apartments. Awful

Melbourne will become a mirror for parts of Manhatten and Brooklyn. Large swathes of empty apartment blocks that drive up local prices and are used as a cash haven for dodgy officials and middle class money, not seen as being secure in China.

Maybe when it all goes pear shaped the flood of established property onto the market will have a well need downward pressure on prices, but until then the proceeds of white collar crime are making our cities more expensive and areas like the Docklands, empty.

Melbourne will become a mirror for parts of Manhatten and Brooklyn. Large swathes of empty apartment blocks that drive up local prices and are used as a cash haven for dodgy officials and middle class money, not seen as being secure in China.

Maybe when it all goes pear shaped the flood of established property onto the market will have a well need downward pressure on prices, but until then the proceeds of white collar crime are making our cities more expensive and areas like the Docklands, empty.

the government will always protect the housing bubble and sadly even when it pops sydney and melbourne will be the first to be over priced again. perth however would be interesting to see the state of housing if mining takes a massive down shift in WA. would the market drop, or will overseas developers cash in on the market keeping it over inflated?

the government will always protect the housing bubble and sadly even when it pops sydney and melbourne will be the first to be over priced again. perth however would be interesting to see the state of housing if mining takes a massive down shift in WA. would the market drop, or will overseas developers cash in on the market keeping it over inflated?

houses in the $2+m range in Perth are still selling but 20% less than 6 months ago but the lower end is still unchanged. That suggests the underlying demand is solid but the high end wages are moderating.

Noone. Smoke and mirrors. Ghost cities abound. Unsurprisingly there is a very good correlation between a country constructing worlds tallest building and it running in to financial difficulties soon after.
but meds, you were barracking for the irish tiger and bono, and they just built empty villages on Kaupthing kroner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back