China

Chinese Super League - will it ever be an elite league?

• Yes

Votes: 11 22.0%
  • No

Votes: 39 78.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Watford FC's Odion Ighalo: "I helped this team to promotion. How can I leave because of money? I know money is good. With that sort of money I can secure my life. But you can't sell your dream."

Massive respect to the lad for rejecting a massive wage in China.

Probably because the country itself isn't very nice.

I'd much rather this type of money being spent in Japan instead for instance, but hey the Communist Funds have got to go somewhere I suppose.....
Please....
And your fine with the proceeds of the natural resources that belong to the Russian people being spent on west London footballers while kids in Russia starve. The epl has been corrupted by similar likeminded villains as those that exist in the east.

The national team will definitely improve in the years to come as the government is spending so much on sports development.

The Chinese Super League though I can't ever see being an elite league with foreign players in their prime. Except for a few big cities, China is generations away from being a place privileged outsiders desire to live in. Japan and South Korea have been 'liberal democracies' for decades and even they're still difficult places culturally for foreigners to live in.

Cahill shafted by Shanghai:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...b/news-story/4c90afcf8741b14245e2f3ab0adae91a

This is why the game will always be a joke in China. New coach comes in who doesn't want Cahill and the club tells him he has to go. This is going to happen with some of the big name signings we've seen; once the Chinese don't want you they don't give a s**t and couldn't give a rats arse about contracts.

Shades of Drogba who stopped getting paid by Shanghai because the owner was involved in a political dispute with the government. Also, President Xi is a huge football fan so football clubs are free to spend what they want. Good luck to those who have contracts there if he's replaced by someone who isn't a football fan.

Cahill is 35. They can buy someone younger and better.

Sad to see, but football is a results business.

Be interesting to see what he does next.

He just signed a new contract and transfer windows are closed everywhere. Sounds like he didn't even get paid out and was forced to leave because they brought a new coach in who doesn't want to play him. That sort of s**t wouldn't be accepted in Europe without serious implications, you can't just walk away from a contract because your new coach decides he wants someone else.

He could be a marquee here and still dominate IMO, despite his age.

Transfer window is closed except for injury replacement players. That's why it is such a dog act by the club, they gave him a new contact, Cahill committed for the season and they change their mind weeks before the start of a new season because they have a new coach. Would have been nice of them to tell him this in January when he would have been able to sign for an A League club or even an EPL club.

He's pretty much got no choice but to join another Chinese club before Feb 28th or be stuck playing no football until next season.

Cahill shafted by Shanghai:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...b/news-story/4c90afcf8741b14245e2f3ab0adae91a

This is why the game will always be a joke in China. New coach comes in who doesn't want Cahill and the club tells him he has to go. This is going to happen with some of the big name signings we've seen; once the Chinese don't want you they don't give a s**t and couldn't give a rats arse about contracts.

Shades of Drogba who stopped getting paid by Shanghai because the owner was involved in a political dispute with the government. Also, President Xi is a huge football fan so football clubs are free to spend what they want. Good luck to those who have contracts there if he's replaced by someone who isn't a football fan.

Sounds like a few supporters here that seem desperate to offload some of their players to other clubs/countries.

Seriously, this happens in every country in the world. We even have a team like Sunderland that won't play a first choice keeper because it will trigger a bonus payment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure that as a free agent Cahill could join any English club outside of the transfer window too. Only proviso is that he could only go onto a premier league clubs 25 man list if they were already operating with 24 or less.

Sounds like a few supporters here that seem desperate to offload some of their players to other clubs/countries.

Seriously, this happens in every country in the world. We even have a team like Sunderland that won't play a first choice keeper because it will trigger a bonus payment.

Nah it doesn't actually. Sunderland sold the said keeper to another club who continued paying his wages.

Those same supporters you quote would be horrified if the club stopped paying a player because he isn't part of their plans anymore.

No surprise you defend the Chinese club though considering you're part owned by the communists.

Pretty sure that as a free agent Cahill could join any English club outside of the transfer window too. Only proviso is that he could only go onto a premier league clubs 25 man list if they were already operating with 24 or less.

I doubt he'd be classed as a free agent having just sighed a new deal (which is not being honoured).

I doubt he'd be classed as a free agent having just sighed a new deal (which is not being honoured).

Where does it say the deal isn't being honoured. My reading of that article is that even though the deal is being paid in full he would have rather stayed. If he's reached a termination, he's a free agent.

Nah it doesn't actually. Sunderland sold the said keeper to another club who continued paying his wages.

Those same supporters you quote would be horrified if the club stopped paying a player because he isn't part of their plans anymore.

No surprise you defend the Chinese club though considering you're part owned by the communists.

Well, they stopped playing him which presumably would have meant that his earning potential was reduced in the period before he was transferred.

I wouldn't support any club in any country simply stopping paying their players.

As for the bit at the end, it wouldn't really worry me who we are owned by. Shanghai Shenhua don't have anything to do with Man City, and if they did and they deserved criticism I would criticise them.

Where does it say the deal isn't being honoured. My reading of that article is that even though the deal is being paid in full he would have rather stayed. If he's reached a termination, he's a free agent.

Isn't there a rule somewhere that states you have to be a free agent at the end of the transfer window?

Otherwise it would be very easy for a club to "terminate" a contract of a player and than another club sign them up immediately.

Isn't there a rule somewhere that states you have to be a free agent at the end of the transfer window?

Otherwise it would be very easy for a club to "terminate" a contract of a player and than another club sign them up immediately.
I don't think so. Would have thought there would be restraint of trade issues.

Last edited:
I want to see him back in England. Boro preferably

He just signed a new contract and transfer windows are closed everywhere. Sounds like he didn't even get paid out and was forced to leave because they brought a new coach in who doesn't want to play him. That sort of s**t wouldn't be accepted in Europe without serious implications, you can't just walk away from a contract because your new coach decides he wants someone else.

How did you jump to that conclusion?

"SOCCEROOS striker Tim Cahill is dramatically on the hunt for a new home, after reaching an agreement to terminate his contract with Chinese Super League club Shanghai Shenhua on the eve of the new season."

"Regardless of whether my contract is being honored and paid out in full, I would much rather have seen it out and finished what we started."

They don't want him anymore and have terminated his contract, paying him in full. Not sure why your so upset about it?

The timing isn't the best but i'll save my sympathy for someone that loses their job, gets ripped off by their employer and isn't a multi-millionaire footballer.

Back