Social Chit Chat III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have to, maybe on a weekend (sounding like a spoilt brat lol!)
The first thing you need is a tile.
Don't bother buying one of the crap stone things from House or somewhere.

You go to a floor tile shop and tell them you want an unsealed tile that you can cook pizza on.
Will cost about $2 !
Mine has lasted about 6 years. And they are thicker, and they will hold the heat better for a better base.

If you are going to make bases you are going to need semolina (or similar)
This goes on your bench before you lay the base on it. (stops it sticking)
And if you are going to make bases, I'd probably buy a pizza peel. It's a god send. But they are about $20.

It's going to end up costing you about $1 a base if you make your own.
I've got a good recipe for it.

The best thing about having a stone, peel, and making bases is this.
Come the weekend it's probably time to clean the fridge out.

There might be one tomato, a couple of slices of ham left, some cheese, 1 egg etc. (maybe some red onion jam :) )

So we just get the flour out. Make a dough in 15 minutes and let it rest for 30 minutes while we prep all the left overs.
Grab some tomato paste out of the pantry and bingo! Pizzas that effectively cost $1

The first thing you need is a tile.
Don't bother buying one of the crap stone things from House or somewhere.

You go to a floor tile shop and tell them you want an unsealed tile that you can cook pizza on.
Will cost about $2 !
Mine has lasted about 6 years. And they are thicker, and they will hold the heat better for a better base.

If you are going to make bases you are going to need semolina (or similar)
This goes on your bench before you lay the base on it. (stops it sticking)
And if you are going to make bases, I'd probably buy a pizza peel. It's a god send. But they are about $20.

It's going to end up costing you about $1 a base if you make your own.
I've got a good recipe for it.

The best thing about having a stone, peel, and making bases is this.
Come the weekend it's probably time to clean the fridge out.

There might be one tomato, a couple of slices of ham left, some cheese, 1 egg etc. (maybe some red onion jam :) )

So we just get the flour out. Make a dough in 15 minutes and let it rest for 30 minutes while we prep all the left overs.
Grab some tomato paste out of the pantry and bingo! Pizzas that effectively cost $1
I really like this idea VC. And it would help with my 'no waste' week that I told FTW I'd do ;)
I won't take advantage of you as mr. Internet-ill look up what a pizza peel is???

My landlord left a few tiles when he re-tiled my kitchen a little while back :thumbsu:

I have never again watched an opening ceremony after Edinburgh 1970.
I don't believe that anyone will ever match the sheer incomparable kitsch of Yehudi Menuhin playing the Scotch Fiddle.
Well, I'm learning new things all the time around here. Had to look up who that was, but yep, would say he'd be better than the latest opening ceremony featuring Susan Boyle, the Loch Ness monster, bagpipes and a tribute to haggis!

I really like this idea VC. And it would help with my 'no waste' week that I told FTW I'd do ;)
I won't take advantage of you as mr. Internet-ill look up what a pizza peel is???

My landlord left a few tiles when he re-tiled my kitchen a little while back :thumbsu:
images

Having a busy afternoon (only a little bit of BF time, not fair!). :(
Need a cheer up. Anyone heard a fun story?
Do you have a pizza dough recipe VC?

Here's something that gave me a laugh earlier (sense of humour is a bit warped though);

I was listening to ABC radio where the topic was "pet resuscitation"-not really a funny topic, but a guy called up and said he found his chook unconscious, so put the nozzle of a bike pump in it's beak and pumped to revive it. It worked-chook alive and well today :thumbsu:.

About pizza shops-when you come back to Melbourne, give Nostralis and Mr. Natural a go. They make the best pizza, not too far from your folk's place.

Lol.

I've seen a dog being given mouth to mouth by its owner, a great big cattle dog :eek:, but never a chicken. That image is truly making me laugh. My workmate has tears running down her cheeks. Thanks catgal :thumbsu:

Having a busy afternoon (only a little bit of BF time, not fair!). :(
Need a cheer up. Anyone heard a fun story?
Do you have a pizza dough recipe VC?
yeah I'll type it up later.

Would be good if you used the same as me. That way I can help if you have problems.

Here's something that gave me a laugh earlier (sense of humour is a bit warped though);

I was listening to ABC radio where the topic was "pet resuscitation"-not really a funny topic, but a guy called up and said he found his chook unconscious, so put the nozzle of a bike pump in it's beak and pumped to revive it. It worked-chook alive and well today :thumbsu:.

About pizza shops-when you come back to Melbourne, give Nostralis and Mr. Natural a go. They make the best pizza, not too far from your folk's place.
Never heard of those.
I like stephanie alexanders place in high street. (might be northcote)

Never heard of those.
I like stephanie alexanders place in high street. (might be northcote)

Actually the other place is deco wine bar in fitzroy.
Pizza shop prices + $2. Great thin crust as you have a wine.

Lol.

I've seen a dog being given mouth to mouth by its owner, a great big cattle dog :eek:, but never a chicken. That image is truly making me laugh. My workmate has tears running down her cheeks. Thanks catgal :thumbsu:
I pulled a gold fish out of a tank with my hands once because it had a pebble stuck in its mouth and couldn't eat.
Removed it with tweezers. That fish lived for ages.

Did not even need mouth to mouth :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually the other place is deco wine bar in fitzroy.
Pizza shop prices + $2. Great thin crust as you have a wine.
I've been there. Yeah, they do a great thin crust pizza.

Nostralis is in Caulfield, and Mr. Natural is in St. Kilda-both organic and veg-but you'd like them, cause you're not adverse to veg options :).

yeah I'll type it up later.

Would be good if you used the same as me. That way I can help if you have problems.
Sounds good VC. I'll try it on the weekend.
Your goldfish story is great :thumbsu:
I'm not really working too hard, but boss is back, so off I hop for now.

Here's Mr Bean and his version of resuscitation ;)

Good onya Tom!
How's Tassie treating you? I hope you're not too far from a return now- how many weeks of your Tour of Tassie do you have left?
Another couple of weeks, nearly there.

Enjoyed the Mr. Bean clip TC, geez Rowan Atkinson's a ripper :thumbsu:

And catgal, be sure to resuscitate my chook if need be. The bike pump's in the shed ;):D

catgal23 That was a funny story about that bloke and his chicken- I would never have thought of a bike pump :)

I gave a blue-tongue lizard CPR a few years ago. Was just about to go out and walked past the shallow end of the pool as I was going to lock up the house. There was a lizard on the floor of the pool, moving slightly, so I raced and got the net to pull it out. When I took it from the net, it wasn't moving, so I held it upside down to drain out the water (had no idea how long it had been lying there on the bottom, poor thing) and decided that a little heart massage wouldn't go astray.

Not being any sort of vet, I had no idea where a lizard's heart would be, so took a punt and rubbed it around where its chest would be if it were a human- somewhere level with its front legs and on the underside. Then, with Mr Bean (above) in mind, I started shovelling handsful of air into its open mouth, even blowing in it once or twice then, with a feeling of distaste, I cupped my hand around its mouth and gave it a couple of quick breaths. Was in a hurry, couldn't see an immediate recovery, so pretty much gave it up for dead. I put it in a bucket in the garage next to my car as I raced out to my meeting- left it head down, hoping to drain more water out.

When I got back a couple of hours later, the lizard was up and about and had made a disgusting mess in the bucket but seemed very lively. I noticed, however, it had herniated so took it to a wildlife rescue place nearby the following morning. I rang them over the next few months, as I was hoping to return the lizard to his/her home once it had recuperated. The poor little thing had 3 operations on its hernia but never fully recovered and died about 3 months after I'd 'rescued' it. My kids still tell everyone the story of me giving the lizard "mouth to mouth"- but I wonder if it would've been better off left at the bottom of the pool :(

Re. Sambo book
Funny thing is my parents are left wing green voting types. I can't remember where I got to reading it... must have been granny :D

Re. Sambo book
Funny thing is my parents are left wing green voting types. I can't remember where I got to reading it... must have been granny :D
I think it was a book at primary school- like a reader or something. Or maybe it was from my older sisters/brothers? I can't recall. Just remember reading it when I was very young- probably before I went to school. (Yes, I could read before I got to school)

Anyway, I hope you get to read that Billy Bunter book. He has a sister, Bessie, who also has books written about her. A few years ago, I intended to collect them all again but never got more than about a dozen in all. Will do it one day. I don't think TinTin is as bad- Billy is racist, he's fat and lazy, he's a stuck up snobby little pig and he's a thief ;) All the good things rolled into one person! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back